get the knack wally pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwd, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwd

cwd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Geeze, I have looked at at least fifty of these items and only found a wally print on one side, and it was thrashed out. are these hard to find? Kind of like the Nature of the Beast--never even seen a green label of this.

2. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

Actually found one today at Goodwill--it was the first time I had seen the record in the last year of looking. I came to the forum to see what people had to say about it! Wally on one side only as well. Capitol rainbow label. Sounds a bit trebly, but since one of the matrix numbers has a "z" figured it was a couple of revs down the chain or well played. Still, dig it, though remembering the time it came out is a bit of a let down, end of the seventies and all...I recall it being a record much maligned by the cool kids of the day, though I quietly dug the guitar playing, as it jangled in a Springfield kind of way. FWIW I saw them in an arena the next year as a favor to a buddy who had an extra ticket for a date that never happened. It was the same week I saw The Pretenders on their first American tour. Talk about a study in contrasts. Odd arena band, to say the least.

Matrix:

Side1: SO 1-11948 F-8 (Wally scribed in the run out)
    Side2:SO 2-11948 Z6

3. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

One last thing: I've been looking into this and apparently the band made the use of the Capitol rainbow label mandatory as part of their signing to Capitol, so this may very well have extended into reissues and why you may have not found any green label issues of this...

4. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Sounds like an odd request. What was the reason?

5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Beatles vibe.

Gardo, MLutthans and Wally Swift like this.
  6. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

It's not uncommon to see bands request that labels use older logos/labels on their releases. The Hives come to mind.

Wally Swift likes this.
  7. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

False. The band wanted a custom label because they didn't like the purple one in use at the time - and were refused. There were rainbows in storage which were used.

Ultimate revenge? Capitol had to make more rainbows as a result of the success of the record.

8. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

Shows you what I get for reading wiki entry...

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Never found a two sided Wally. I have one on side one and one on side two.

10. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I never saw a rainbow pressing of a Knack record that had the late 60s "Subsidary" print label if that's what you mean,just the later ones.

And yes I have seen Get The Knack with Wally on both sides,but they've been trashed.

goldwax likes this.
  11. cwd

For clarification, I meant the green label for april wine's notb, which i understand is the wally version and is hard to find...as an analogy to the hard-to-find wally gtk...sorry if any confusion from my poor wiritng on this issue.cwd

12. cwd

Looked at seven more in nashville last night...not a single wally amongst them!cwd

13. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

They were marketed as "the next Beatles" and even tried to capture some of their early style...didn't work. They were more
    Bay City Rollers than the Beatles in those times.

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Why would Capitol waste valuable factory storage space on obsolete 10-year-old labels? It makes no sense, and furthermore I have never seen one.

15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It would appear that Canadian issues got the purple label...

[​IMG]

16. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Does that have the clean version of "(She's So) Selfish"?

Or was that just for Canadian radio (those were the tapes used for the first US CD issue...)

17. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

My pressing of GTK is a US Rainbow label first pressing purchased by me a few days after it came out, but it's not a Wally. Says MCA8L on it.

Derek

18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

That's what I have in a promo copy when released. Sounds good to me

19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

That bolded part doesn't sound right to me. I've seen many, many rainbow copies of this album, and never seen a copy that didn't have "Capitol Industries - EMI" printed along the rim.
    Screen shot 2013-10-22 at 12.24.45 PM.jpg
    Are there rainbow copies of Get the Knack that actually use old label stock? Anybody have a photo?

To my knowledge (W.B. or somebody else may be able to chime in with more accurate information), the last of the original-run rainbow labels from '69 had this, with no "-EMI":
    Screen shot 2013-10-22 at 12.33.25 PM.jpg
    Assumedly, any "old label stock" versions of Get the Knack would not have the "-EMI" bit along the rim, as it was not there (to my knowledge) when the rainbow label was originally being phased out in the late 1960s.

20. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

That's what I thought.I would like to see a picture of a copy with the pre-1969 labels.

21. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

How can I identify a promo copy?

22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

At that time the record companies pretty much stopped pressing official promo copies. They started just punching holes in the cover or cutting a corner. I worked in a record store at the time and the promo copy I received from Capitol had a hole punch.

Hamhead likes this.
  23. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Just look at the cover!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    Bill likes this.
  24. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

The German pressing looks like this as well. I think the idea that the US ever used 12 year old stock rainbow labels is false.

25. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Love to have this on 180g, done by Steve and Kevin!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.