DCC Archive Getting Caught In The Trap (for Steve)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doug Hess Jr., Oct 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member Thread Starter

That said, do you find it easier or harder to master things you are famliar with or like. For example, would you approach the Beatles differently than say Marilyn Manson (assuming for this question you don't like Marilyn Manson) or can you be purely objective?

2. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

I remember Steve being asked a similar question in an interview and he said that he always ends up liking the artists he works on once he is done. After listening to their work over and over, he said that he always finds SOMETHING to like about them.

-j

3. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member Thread Starter

4. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

I THINK it was the recent Sterophile interview?

But my memory's shot. Let me see what I can Google up.

-j

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, I know I said that somewhere. It is the truth for me (as Claus would say.)

I approach mastering everything in the same way, actually. Music is music, and it must sound the best it can (to me).

What I do make a choice on, is what is the actual (IMO) most important element of the song. The drums, bass, vocal, strings, etc. I concentrate on giving the breath of life to one thing, and, if I'm lucky, other things start to fall into place. If I'm not lucky, I pick what I think is the most important thing and try to work with that alone...Example: Creedence. Impossible to get the vocals lifelike and the music lifelike because of the way most of the things were mixed. Since the Fantasy folks chose to "crisp up" the music/drums on their regular CD's, I chose on the DCC stuff to make the vocals less harsh and more lifelike. To me it works, but the percussion suffers. Oh well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.