Getting into Frank Zappa

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by englishbob, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Time is an illusion; lunchtime, doubly so.

kendo and warewolf95 like this.
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I have 2 original US ones already and think they sound sublime. Amazing that they could improve on that. The wallet hurts so because of having to rebuy albums though.

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

In terms of content, You Are What You Is, Sheik Yerbouti and Sleep Dirt are probably the most important in regards to the 2012 versions.

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Ill probably just get the big 3 on reissued vinyl.

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

Not sure what came out on vinyl from the later era, but Civilization Phase III seems essential to me.
    Also, 200 Motels on vinyl seems to be in the record bins of vinyl stores whereas the CD...I have not seen it since I copied the library discs in 1980s.

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

That's impressive, considering 200 Motels was not released on CD until 1997!

MungoMusic likes this.
  7. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

200 Motels has had only one official CD release (so far) on Rykodisc in 1997. Frank Zappa - 200 Motels

but there is a placeholder number in the OFFICIAL RELEASE SERIES numbering scheme. The ZFT (Zappa Family Trust) must be still working on obtaining the rights again from United Artists.

Fillmore East - June 1971 (Official Release #12)
    200 Motels (Official Release #13) < not yet reissued/placeholder
    Just Another Band From L.A. (Official Release #14)

Heads up for those interested in the Zappa Records 2012 CD releases, there are a few that seem to have gone out of print.

Tinseltown Rebellion
    Orchestral Favorites
    Studio Tan
    Baby Snakes
    Läther

these are only available from second hand sellers on Amazon, except 'Läther' which is only available as MP3 or streaming at Amazon.
    None of these titles are currently even listed from the record distributor where we order stock at my shop.

8. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

Yeah, I get these Zappa phases. Once a year, but once in ten years it takes some major effort. I had the LP and my stereo was working well in the 90s, but I had not managed a decent transfer. But I did have one that was copied from the library. Seeing that the library system I used in the 90s was a bit crappy ( I got some decent classical discs) I assumed my library copied Motels was from Cincinnati where I lived 1983-1996. My mistake.

On the plus side, I finally got around to ordering the Salonen conducted 200 Motels pieces. It is apparently missing a lot of the story.

I got to see 200 Motels in 1971, this I got right. It was first year in college. It made some kind of impression on me. Not the least being actual titties in the movie! I was a science nerd. Girls were mysterious.

9. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I'm not the biggest Zappa fan in the world but I have enjoyed some of Franks music since around 1981, in fact my first purchases bought back then were the Joe's Garage Acta I,II & III Records. What I've found listening to Frank is that whilst there's a lot of great music I like, there are somethings that are just too over the top and non musical for my liking.

Could anyone advise me on the most musical, but non sinclaviar or orchestral dominated albums form Frank? I have the albums listed below, all of which I really enjoy....

Hot Rats (Vinyl)
    Overnight Sensation (Vinyl)
    Apostrophe (Vinyl)
    Roxy & Elsewhere (2 x Vinyl)
    The Roxy Performances (7 x CD Box Set)
    One Size Fits All (Vinyl)
    Sheik Yerbouti (2 x Vinyl)
    Zappa in New York (5 x CD Box Set)
    Joes Garage Act 1 (Vinyl)
    Joes Garage Act 2+3 (2 x Vinyl)
    You Are What You Is (2 x Vinyl)
    Ship Arriving Too Late (Vinyl)
    Them Or Us (2 x Vinyl)

After listening to samples on the net I have the following on my wishlist....

Bongo Fury
    Waka Jawaka
    The Grand Wazoo
    Zoot Allures
    Halloween 73
    Philadelpia 76
    Halloween 77
    Chicago 78

I prefer to wait for the studio albums to be reissued on vinyl, but I would like to know what to aim for when the time comes. My question is are those on my want list largely musical, also what other albums that predominantly musical are there out there that might be up my street?

10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

If you're interested in jazz, get those two as soon as possible.

Cheevyjames and hodgo like this.
  11. hodgo

Yes I enjoy Frank's Jazz stuff, are these available on vinyl yet though?

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"If you go for BURGERS.....(honk, honk)...You'll LOVE the burgers here!"

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Can you get burgers via Do-Do Room Service? ;)

vince likes this.
  14. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Sleep Dirt
    Burnt Weenie Sandwich

Cheevyjames and hodgo like this.
  15. hodgo

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go and listen to the samples online. :righton:

I see Burnt Weenie Sandwich is available on vinyl, so if I like the samples that will be something I buy on payday next week.

StarThrower62 likes this.
  16. StarThrower62

If you enjoy FZ's guitar playing, then Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar is a great listen. I'm still enjoying it 30 years later.

jawaka1000 and hodgo like this.
  17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

In 1998, I ordered the-then entire catalog direct from Ryko, in one fell swoop. When my house was burglarized in 2004, they were among the batch of discs I had stolen. Grrr!

I wish I could buy the 2012 reissues in one fell swoop, then I could get any Rkyo’s which are unique in content and mixes.

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Oh, I couldn't tell, I only listen to compact discs.
    I second @StarThrower62 suggestion. I'm sure you'll love Sleep Dirt.

hodgo likes this.
  19. hodgo

I forgot, I do have that on a 3 LP set that I bought back in the day, it is indeed a fantastic album.

20. StarThrower62

For Sleep Dirt listen to the original without the vocals. Vinyl or 2012 re-issue.

21. hodgo

I'm grateful for the suggestion anyway because it confirms my impression from the samples that this sounds right up my street.

22. hodgo

So are there two versions of this album available?

23. timriepe

timriepe Forum Resident

It seems like the original Mothers lineup isn't really on your list.. but let me recommend Uncle Meat, there is nothing quite like it.

I was listening to Absolutely Free this morning on my commute and even though there are quite a few funny antics it is incredibly musical!

24. StarThrower62

The Ryko CD from the 90s has vocal overdubs on some tracks. I prefer the all instrumental. The 2012 CD sounds fantastic!

pool_of_tears and hodgo like this.
  25. StarThrower62

Another very interesting set is the expanded Uncle Meat re-issue titled Meat Light. 3 CDs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.