Ghost B.C recording their third studio album. Their latest single Cirice can be downloaded for free

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by xcqn, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Definitely had backing tapes on his vocals. And did anyone notice that there was an extra ghoul!?!?!? They had one ghoul on piano and one on keytar, in addition to the normal drums, guitar and bass. Wonder who that was????

2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Jordan Rudess would be my guess haha.

3. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

Well there is a regular touring Ghoul on keyboards and keytar, and then there is the Ghoul that plays on the album and also on selected concert dates. Apparently this Ghoul is some sort of Swedish prog legend and is in his 60's

I personally met one of the Nameless Ghouls outside a venue last month. It was he that called out our entourage, having been to many other Ghost shows, so he recognized us. I'm not naming his name, but he was a really super cool guy. Another person in our entourage was invited to the after show party and was actually hanging with Papa. From all accounts, he was a perfect gentleman.

As for the Colbert performance, its no secret that they do use backing tapes for backing vocals and such, but these were mixed too high and Papa's live vocal was too buried. But still cool they made it on network TV.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Dorian75 likes this.
  4. Brian Ramone

Brian Ramone Well-Known Member

Cool.
    I loved the healing shtick.
    It did sound a little too polished on TV to be completely live imo.

5. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

The 'healing' bit threw me off at first. They hadn't warned us about that at all. I thought they were getting up to mosh and I almost jumped up to join them!

The crowd wasn't really into it like a Ghost show, of course. But as they were done and walking off I shouted out 'Ghost rocks!' and one of the ghouls turned and threw the devil horns. That was cool.

Dreadnought likes this.
  6. Brian Ramone

Love it!

When GHOST came here with the INFEST tour I couldn't find anyone to go with me...my friends couldn't get past the outfits to really give them a listen.

7. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Show them the Colbert performance, that might change their minds!

8. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I had the same situation when I saw them last month, though my same aged friends are generally not into going to shows. But still I don't see the justification for not taking a band seriously based on appearance. Besides, what's wrong with having fun? See my present avatar and my choice of facepaint for Halloween as an example of proper behaviour for a 50 year old. :p
    Among youtube links the "Live at Music Feeds Studio" certainly show off the musical chops of Ghost for those who need persuation.

Dorian75 likes this.
  9. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I agree those Live at Music Feeds clips are great. Sound quality is excellent. I wish they'd release those on vinyl.

10. Brian Ramone

Well one of my options was my older brother who grew up with Black Sabbath and the Alice Cooper Group.
    However, he has a problem with Papa since he's now a Minister (my brother) :)
    I know he'd love the music though.

11. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I think Ghost has done a fabulous job managing their online profile. Their in-studio video performances are stellar!

If it helps I believe the costumes are a send up, parody (making light of) religion rather than anything more sinister. I was bailed out with my second ticket by my 24 year old son who enjoyed the show very much. His taste is all over the place including extreme metal so Ghost was a pleasant walk in the park for him.

12. Brian Ramone

That's how I see it too.
    How can anyone take Rock theatrics seriously?
    I kinda find it pathetic that Alice Cooper keeps saying he's playing a character lately...duh?
    Then again he must meet a lot of nuts.
    My thinking is my brother might have been concerned being seen going by someone in his congregation.
    Also... he hasn't heard them so its easy for him to dismiss them.

We did see the BLACK SABBATH 13 tour together...I was a little uneasy with him beside me as THE DEVILS footage (from Ken Russell's film) played behind them :)

13. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ghost Performs "Cirice" @ The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

Dorian75 and Aggie87 like this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Such an epic tune, lyric video for He Is.

15. Brian Ramone

Great choice for their second single.
    This song is so catchy it should gather new fans.

Dorian75 likes this.
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Seeing them tonight in Toulouse! \m/

Dorian75 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Awesome! Enjoy man, report back!

18. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

When are they coming back to US? I am ready for more Ghost NOW!!!

19. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

How do you know all this? I've never read this anywhere.

You met the ghoul masked or unmasked? You know who he is? Is he someone I would know?

Dude! How do I hang with you guys? :)

20. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

Dorian, several friends of mine and I are huge Ghost fans, and have been almost obsessively been researching these guys since "Opus Eponymous" came out. Plus one of my friends is a touring musician who's just completed his 3rd European tour. He knows people that know the Ghost guys, and has played their hometown. As for the keyboard player, we are just going by what we've been researching via the internet and from other parties. When we met the Nameless Ghoul, he was unmasked. We knew who he was. And HE spotted us, and pointed us out. So he made first contact. We had been to a number of Ghost shows in the past and were always close to the stage. So he obviously remembered us from previous shows. As for the person that was invited to the after party, she had initially applied to act as a "nun" onstage during the performance. (The "nuns" gave out communion in the front rows during "Body And Blood"). She didn't get picked for the nun gig, but was instead invited to the after party. She got invited to the after party the next night at the next show, which we attended. When she told them that our group was attending the next show the following night, they asked her to come.

As for naming names and such, I'm keeping those cards close to my chest.

Dorian75 likes this.
  21. Paincakes

Paincakes Active Member

Hi all,

if I am following this thread correctly, you guys are saying that the US Vinyl pressings of both Infestissumam and Meliora sound better than the EU/Scandinavian versions? (Several posts on this thread brought this up, without clarifying if they were referring to one album, or the other, so I mainly want to clarify).

I have the red scandinavian Infestissumam, as well as the copy of Meliora that was included in the Deluxe box set. Should I pick up US versions if I want noticeable better sound quality?

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  22. Brian Ramone

I just know that the US Red Vinyl of INFEST. sounds much better than the US CD.
    The vinyl isn't as hot as the CD which introduces a lot of distortion.
    However, I had a hell of a time finding one that wasn't warped.

Paincakes likes this.
  23. Paincakes

Paincakes Active Member

My copy of Red US Vinyl of Infestissumam came in today. I'm exchanging it due to noise, and the hole being off center. I still gave it a spin, and I find that it sounds fairly comparable to my Scandinavian Purple copy. The "brick walled" mastering is still audible on the drum snare, and I find that loud parts tend to get a bit "mushy". To my ears, I don't think there is a clear winner (between US and Scandinavian pressings), and I almost prefer the clarity of the CD, despite the distortion. Maybe my replacement US copy will sound better?

I also have a US copy of Meliora on the way, that I'll compare to the one I have from the Deluxe set.

24. Paincakes

Paincakes Active Member

Update:

I exchanged my Red US Vinyl of Infestissumam twice, and all of my copies have significant surface noise on side A, and off center pressed on side B. I give up on this pressing.

I also received my copy of US Meliora... wow, a huge improvement over the EU Deluxe box pressing. The soundstage is clearer / more open, and there is better track separation. I'm noticing more subtle details (vocals, guitar overdubs, etc) that were previously buried / muffled in the mix. Good stuff.

Gaslight and Dorian75 like this.
  25. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Just wanted to bump this thread to remind everyone of the brilliance of "He Is". I don't think it's a coincidence that the song is crafted as a mock Contemporary Christian power ballad. It's genius in its design. I've read that this song was originally written "She Is" but changed to fit the concept of the record. You could seamlessly slip the song on to one of those CC comps they sell on TV and no one would know they were duped into worshipping Satan.

To answer one of the questions earlier in the thread, it appears that the bands Anti-Pope imagery is (spoiler alert) purely entertainment and not in any way meant to be genuinely sinister. I saw an interview with a nameless ghoul (whose voice ironically sounds absolutely IDENTICAL to Papa Emeritus III's) stating that he believed in a higher force, though he didn't completely out himself as a Christian.

I think that Ghost is more or less a one or two man project. The nameless ghoul concept is brilliant because it allows the main songwriters to move pieces in and out of the band without alienating the fan base. It's an idea that will work great until the guys in the band want actual credit and endorsements for their work.

Dorian75 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.