Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by teaser5, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Anyone know this movie? I love this film. I can't watch it enough.

I love the way Jim Jarmusch crosses lines with a French ice cream man, a rapping mobster and a black Samurai. Forest Whitaker moves with incredible grace and smoothness for a big dude. It kills me that the guy can't understand a single word that his best friend says or that they go watch a guy who is building a boat on the roof of a building and has no hope of getting it anywhere near water.

Anyone else enjoy this movie?

Best-
    Norm

2. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

I've yet to see the movie. The soundtrack caused a bit of a stir (in a good way), it's apparently very good. Done by RZA of the Wu-Tang Clan.

Too bad it's difficult to get the RZA disc.. it's available as an import on Amazon IIRC, not cheap. The one that's readily available is just incidental music from the film, not stuff done by RZA.

Cheers

3. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I love GHOST DOG, but I love all of Jim Jarmusch's work. GHOST DOG is probably his most polished work, but it retains all of the "indie" essence of a great Jarmusch film. When some one tells me they've never seen a Jarmusch film, I usually direct them to GHOST DOG first.

GHOST DOG is a great example of how important a good script is to a film. All of the quirky plot twists are underscored by the great acting.

4. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Re: Re: Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

Ah yes, good call. The soundtrack is off the hook in this movie; very powerful and central to the many moods Jarmusch creates. I recommend you give it a watch...and a listen

BTW: Love your Polly Jean avatar

Best-
    Norm

5. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

All Jim Jarmusch movies have been pretty neat...but music fans would automatically dig "Mystery Train" filmed in Memphis, Tennessee, with cameos by Joe Strummer and Screamin' Jay Hawkins. My favorite diner in the whole wide world, the Arcade Diner(540 So. Main St. in the Historic District) makes an appearance.

Also Jarmusch's "Dead Man", a low budget movie with a major all-star cast, and music by Neil Young, is terrific.

6. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Ghost Dog, good film. Full of surprises, definitely not done by formula. Another good performance by Forest Whitaker.

7. Mike

Mike New Member

Great movie! I caught it on cable a couple years ago, it was late at night and I was about to go to sleep but I ended up watching the whole thing. I enjoyed it very much.

8. blackwiggle

blackwiggle New Member

I love the fact that he {forrest whitiker} kept pigoens and only got payed once a year.
    And the logic behind his way of life.{the samurai code}was his only ethical base,and how it compared to his surroundings and the people he was dealing with.
    I think the best showing of this difference was when the blatent showing of racisim by the old mob members,when the old mobster says"don't trust ******s or jews",and where he just kept in the background with a live and let live attitude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.