Ghostbusters "Mastered In 4K" Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Hud, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

As mentioned they do sound similar in concept to the Superbit DVDs of old.

And still 15GB of space left on the BD. Surely they could have squeezed another 4Mbps+ of video data out of it?

2. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Akroyd was actually writing lines for Belushi when he got the call. He ran out of his apartment and ran downtown so that John's wife would find out from a friend in person. It kind of amazes me he kept working on the project after that.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I was just thinking the other day, Why didn't they keep adding more movies to the franchise?

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Dealbreaker.:realmad:

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Ordered myself a copy, looking forward to seeing the difference.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not sure if there's ever been an official explanation, but I think the financial disappointment of "2" hurt any potential franchise. It actually did pretty well - $112 million, which is about $210 million today - but it was viewed as something of a flop.

Also, I think Murray didn't want to do another one.

There are always rumors of a "3" - I'll believe it when I see it...

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

There is also an analog (pun slightly intended) to the mid-1990s when Sony starting touting laserdiscs that were created from high definition masters. If memory serves, the term they coined for that was 'Superscan" or something along those lines.

8. Oatsdad

Really? I was into LDs in the mid-90s and have no memory of that whatsoever.

(Not saying it didn't happen - just saying I don't remember it at all!)

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Sony used it exclusively on new release theatrical title laserdiscs circa 1995. Stuff like "Wolf". I don't think they branded their discs with it, but they did have some promos that had cuts/split screens/wipes and such to illustrate the difference followed by a list of titles. It did not last for very long.

The only laserdisc I can positively verify had "Superscan" listed on the packaging was not even from Sony. It was the Elite laserdisc of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

10. Oatsdad

Thanks for the info. Maybe I was aware of it 20 years ago and forgot! :)

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think a couple of reasons:

1) Bill Murray is a very, very difficult actor to work with.

2) The second movie cost a lot more than they anticipated, and made less money than expected.

3) Bill Murray has veto power on all scripts with his character, and he's refused to even read any so far.

I think Murray's basic philosophy is "been there/done that." The more films he does in a franchise like this -- especially 25 years after the last one -- the more audiences will simply compare his new performance to the old one, as well as note how he's aged over time. He'd rather make smaller, personal films that give him an opportunity to play vastly different characters and challenge his acting abilities, instead of being in a big action/adventure/comedy where he's a set piece that occasionally makes smartass wisecracks.

I actually think there'd be a better potential to make a live-action Ghostbusters TV show, provided they replaced the entire cast and spent a lot of money on effects. But there's been so many other shows that have picked up the mantle from Ghostbusters -- everything from Buffy to Supernatural to True Blood to god-knows-what-else -- the surprise factor won't be there. It's a very, very hard movie to top.

12. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Reboot without Bill Murray Gets my vote.

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The Ghostbusters DVD was one of the first to really "Wow" me with the number and quality of the special features.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I fell down laughing at the superimposed pop-up in the lower right where the guys are commenting on the movie. Great bit, a very imaginative use of subtitling.

Aykroyd [I finally spelled it right] has said before how devastated he was by Belushi's death, and how he felt John's spirit continued to guide them during production. And of course, this ghost was an homage to the "Bluto" character from Animal House, which is sort of a Belushi cameo in Ghostbusters (after death):

[​IMG]

hi_watt likes this.
  15. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Don't foreget 80's cartoon, it really had great stories
    a lot better than ghostbusters 2.

hi_watt likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, Sony was the first in the industry to do HD transfers, in the mid-1990s. Unfortunately, Sony's High Def Center worked in HighVision analog, the old 1125 interlaced format, and the equipment had a lot of noise and problems, most of it experimental prototypes built from scratch. A huge amount of money was squandered at trying to make HD work.

After several years, they threw in the towel at trying to invent it all and just shut it all down. Years later, Technicolor built a $40M HD/4K post building on the Sony lot, lost all the money, shut it down, and Sony bought it and now runs it as Colorworks. All of Sony's HD and 4K work is now coming out of that building, and they do very, very good quality work. This time, they're not trying to use all Sony equipment: they use a lot of off-shelf gear and non-proprietary software, and it's much faster and more efficient, and their people have lots of experience and good judgement (from my perspective).

Dan C likes this.
  17. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Great insight. I would hope any continuation of "Ghostbusters" would still be fun, but this is about the best reason I've heard that shows why it's so hard. Not to mention the whole concept of lightning striking twice.

18. Saw it in theaters for it's 30th anniversary. Looked beautiful in 4k.

Some scenes are more grainy than others (mostly towards the beginning), but I put that up to the age and the stock, and taking it out would lose detail (this definitely isn't a DNR disaster).

Most of the special effects still looked great, but the Gozer dog green screen effects haven't aged well (usually only in screen for a fraction of a second anyway).

It was great to see it on the big screen, and it made the background jokes even funnier.

The film is still amazing and one of the best comedies of all time.
    Recommended for anyone who likes movies.

The Hud and Myke like this.
  19. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I just got this, I am looking forward to watching it.

20. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Ghostbusters was the first tape I ever rented on VHS when my family got a VCR. Prior to that my best friend and I would rent stuff from the local mom and pop shop.

21. SonOfAlerik

Rather than all of these reboot ideas for Ghostbusters (female busters, etc). I think they should go back and film Akroyd's original script for the film. Not sure who they could get to play the parts. I just don't really want to see a continuation with a few originals in cameo rolls.

22. The female busters just seem like a bad idea. A female ghostbusters could be fine, and might actually be interesting paired with male busters, but having an all female cast would just seem like them trying too hard to be PC and edgy at the expense of artistic integrity.

Seeing the original script come to life would be interesting, but wouldn't seem marketable to the studio. Maybe it could work as a fan film?

23. SonOfAlerik

Yes I doubt any studio would want to do the original script. They will most lilely want more of an edgy comedy. It would be an interesting read though. I would like to read Akroyd's full Blues Brothers script as well. I think he said it was what would have been the original film and a sequel all in one script. Maybe someone could shed some light on that.

24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

Maybe the original script could be done as an animated film?

SonOfAlerik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.