Gibson/Heritage bridge question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike in Houston, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike in Houston

Mike in Houston Formerly 118mw123 Thread Starter

Does it matter which way the screws face on a tune o Matic bridge? I have a Heritage 535 and I accidentally let the bridge fall off while changing strings I have my screws facing the stop piece, but I tried it the other way and it played stiffly. I don't know how to tell the difference between an ABR 1 bringe or a Nashville bridge.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Heritageownersclub.com. Better go there and ask.

3. Mike in Houston

4. Steve Hoffman

Please report back here, if you would..

5. I hate to post this, because I might be missing something obvious, but under the assumption that there are no dumb questions…

If all one did was spin the bridge 180 degrees during a string change, aren't all the saddles now in the wrong position relative to the strings they were cut for, and also out of position assuming the guitar had been intonated?

Bolero likes this.
  6. Mike in Houston

I'm waiting for their reply

7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Yes. All he needs to do is flip it so the string notches in the saddles match the size of the strings.

BGLeduc likes this.
  8. Mike in Houston

[​IMG] this is how it is now I don't know of it is correct. It might have been setup this way incorrectly.

9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Look closely at the string notches in the saddles, the biggest notched one should be on your low E string the thickest one.

10. AnotherEargazm

AnotherEargazm Forum Resident

Looks like an ABR-1 to me. Nashville Bridges are thicker. I can't tell from the picture of it is on correctly, but I agree with GuildX700.

11. Mike in Houston

Well yes it appears to be flipped

12. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

You gotta love this place!

13. Mike in Houston

I really do;)

14. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Generally the intonation adjustment screws face the pickups with the high side of the saddles also facing the pickups. The differing width string notches in the saddles will also help to orientate you if unsure.

Note that sometimes people take the saddles out of the bridge and turn them around so the high side faces the rear. This is a modification usually performed if there is not enough rearward travel to achieve perfect intonation with certain string gauges. You'll most often see this done to the G string.

15. Mike in Houston

You guys are awesome! Now I have to get a strobe to reintonate it. Does anyone know of an online alternative to purchasing an expensive piece of equipment?

16. Steve Hoffman

A strobe? Did Orville Gibson use a strobe? Did C. F. Martin need a strobe? Did Lloyd Loar or Leo Fender need a strobe? Na, they just guessed.

Not really, they used the harmonic.

showtaper and Humbuster like this.
  17. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Use a good quality tuner - tune the open string - check the 12th fret - adjust saddles accordingly. Harmonics at the 12th fret are helpful.

18. Steve Hoffman

Exactly. Make sure your neck is straight (and the neck of your guitar as well) and just give each string a little flick. When they match down the line between the open note and the harmonic as much as possible, you're in. Impossible to get it perfect, just the nature of the beast, get it as good as you can, mark with a pencil or something and you're done..

RTurner likes this.
  19. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

And next time change the strings one at a time.

Humbuster likes this.
  20. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

This reminds me of Belushi's speech in Animal House. Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? , etc. :)

21. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

The Peterson strobe tuner for iOS is fantastic, it's the only non-pedal tuner I use:
    https://www.petersontuners.com/products/istrobosoft/

They make a pedal and a clip-on as well, but there is also the Turbo Tuner which is the current fave among gearheads:
    https://www.turbo-tuner.com/

22. Mike in Houston

Thanks everyone for your help I intobated it without a strobe and it turned out fine action is perfect no fret buzzing and it sounds great. I've never tried to make fine adjustments this sort of thing till now. I am happy!

BGLeduc likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Well, in that case it should have been:

(Cue music): Did Orville Gibson use a strobe when he designed the Dreadnought? No! Did C. F. Martin need a strobe when he created the Stratocaster? Did Lloyd Loar use a strobe when he invented the Les Paul? No! Did Leo Fender need a strobe when he created the Ovation?

Bolero, Bill Hart and BGLeduc like this.
  24. Intobated it?

I feel dirty just reading that. :)

25. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

me too...and I was mastonating my bridge at the time....

BGLeduc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.