Giles Martin: Update the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is no different than the remixes of the Yes or XTC catalog. The originals do still exist (and are available as well on the blu-day discs that come with the deluxe). In some cases, it's a radical improvement, in other cases, not so much just with improved clarity and depth.

It is, indeed,a slippery slope and the time of Apple to pursue these is interesting given that the original albums aren't selling like hot cakes on CD (vinyl may be another story). I don't object to this as long as some taste is used and these aren't too conservative (meaning slavishly recreating the originals when there would be improvements). I agree that The White Album probably isn't the most in need but it is one of their most popular wlbums in terms of sales, there's a fair amount of alternate incomplete or unused tracks plus demos that have never seen the light of day.

I don't know why anyone would be surprised as this seemed the next logical step to spur on sales. Perhaps Giles will also have EMI fix the mastering issue in "Long Long Long". Those songs recorded on 8 track with overdubs will show the best improvement here IMHO.

MoonPool likes this.
  2. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

The difference between the mono and stereo "Revolver" is a dramatic example. The mono version jumps out of your speakers while the separation in the stereo version weakens the track significantly.

However, the stereo "Revolution" included in "Love" (2006) blows away the original stereo version and sounds as good as the mono version (to me).

I have no objection to remixes like that.

goodiesguy, PDK, ralph7109 and 5 others like this.
  3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Rocky Raccoon (featuring A$AP Rocky)

goodiesguy and majorlance like this.
  4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I agree, they aren't turning out $100 box sets for teenage kids. My kids (10 and 5) love the Beatles but they don't give a rip how it's mixed. If I told them this is a new stereo mix or this is a mono mix or whatever they couldn't care less. They just care if the songs are good and the singing's good.

5. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Taken to extremes:
    A Remixed Beatles song with entirely new musical elements added to it will sound better than any current music.

(I think that one statement is bound to upset 99.9% of this forum.)
    :winkgrin:

6. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Centered vocals and bass, no thanks

7. slane

slane Forum Resident

What, a total remix using both tracks? ;)

8. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I give Beatles, Inc credit for never doing something like this. The Zombies for instance have added new parts to old takes.

9. Radardog

Radardog Forum Resident

New mix - cool. Gimmie some outtakes!

10. zen

zen Senior Member

I'd buy that.

11. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Any chance of giving The White Album a decent cover while they're at it? All that pointless white space is just crying out for a spray-paint job by Banksy.

goodiesguy, vonwegen, somnar and 5 others like this.
  12. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I guess it would be a re-equalization rather than a remix...the session tapes HAVE to sound better than what we have. Although a remix of "Money" is possible, I believe.

13. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

“My motivation – when I tell my kids or grandkids about this album that changed the face of pop music, you want them to put it on a go, ‘Yeah, I get it!’ rather than, ‘This sounds a bit old…’” he said."

This is a strange concept, remixing to sound more "modern" - the problem being, of course, as musical and production trends are continually changing, if you remix to sound modern as in what contemporary music now sounds like streaming and on itunes, ten years from now that remix will no longer sound modern. Remix it every ten years to appeal to a new generation? If they were remixing it in the 80s would they have added lots of synth sounds?

I much preferred the explanation for the remix that wanted the stereo to stay truer to mixing decisions on the mono, since that's what the band approved. That I can accept.

14. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Life is a slippery slope - enjoy the ride...

16. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

It's not a "kids couldn't care less" issue, the value of the remix should be apparent to anyone who has listened to the music enough to know it.
    If your kids actually do like the record, and play it enough, when you bring home the remix and put it on, they should hear the difference.
    And that would be the one they want to play. Why would they not be able to tell the difference?

17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Anyone hear the '80s remix of Elvis' Memphis sessions lately?

Eventually, everything sounds dated. The question is whether you prefer to hear something dated from its own time, or in some kind of freaky time warp.

Am I the only one here who hasn't heard this remix yet? In what way does it sound better?

Tristero and APH like this.
  18. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Personally I'm so very tired of this argument, and think the "well don't listen to it then" pretty much puts a stop to it right there, end, period, not much more to say.

But I do want to add that you're missing out on a lot of fun. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning listening to these remixes. Despite the upshot of what you're saying, I don't believe that you want to take that away from me.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    bherbert and Kwai Chang like this.
  19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

They certainly won't be concerned at the ages of 5 and 10. Maybe, just maybe, they'll have an opinion about it when they're 13 and 18, but even then that's not certain. It really is an attempt to get us "deep pockets" :laugh: old guys to buy this music once again. As it is now, they aren't even the least bit interested in my 5.1 system. My son was amused by the little speakers all over the room, but when I played something for him on them, he was oblivious. Their thing is listening to music in the car, and singing along with it, which is pretty much what I was into when I was 10. :)

Billy Infinity likes this.
  20. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

He says it would be for a modern audience, but my guess is that this is really about squeezing more money from the people here who already have seven versions of every Beatles album.

coniferouspine and dkmonroe like this.
  21. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Modernizing the Beatles is a great idea. For proof, look no further than this...

Denise Norris likes this.
  22. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Why? Is there something inherently wrong with the terrific original stereo mix?

Cronverc likes this.
  23. zen

zen Senior Member

So I can give ABBEY ROAD a home in my (2009) mono box...and there's nothing wrong with the stereo mix either. Rest easy.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Billy Infinity likes this.
  24. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

For an album that just had a new stereo mix as recently as 2012, I think the possible trove of outtakes, alt-takes, unheard material and whatever else is in the vaults, is where they should focus this one. Just my opinion here.

Would really like to hear the full proper version of "Can You Take Me Back", for instance.

25. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

We already have it.

Cronverc and dkmonroe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.