Gillian Welch Soul Journey Vinyl summer 18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by It's Felix, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

What is it that you have arriving tomorrow? Soul Journey isn't out until August 10th.

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I ordered it from Gillian's store -- it apparently shipped early (and that's definitely worth the $8 shipping in my book)!

AZRunner and Subvet like this.
  3. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

The Acony store orders are shipping now !

Subvet and pghmusiclover like this.
  4. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

That's cool for the folks that bought from Acony. I'll keep my Amazon order. I was hoping they would have had some at the show last week. Guess I just missed it.

neruda likes this.
  5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Good news for you vinyl guys. What an album!

6. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

7. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

Received my copy yesterday and spun it this morning. Nice flat, quiet vinyl. Every so slightly off-center pressing, but not enough that I noticed (and this can drive me crazy.) Sounds just as nice as Harrow & The Harvest (i.e. wonderful.)

8. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

Got mine last week and have played it a couple of times. So good. I had forgotten this album and now realize again how good it is. My copy is a tad off center like @clgoss77 but i don't notice it at all and concur that pitch waver drives me nuts as well. My only complaint is the inner sleeve which is just old style printed on paper. I think their other releases used poly lined sleeves. Oh well, if that's the only complaint then Acony is doing great.

clgoss77 likes this.
  9. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

I agree, a small company has such low profit margin I'm happy paying up and we got it 2 weeks early! We are all spoiled by free instant gratifying shipping, myself included.

markp, doublenaught and pghmusiclover like this.
  10. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

I received mine yesterday. The only problem was that UPS hit it with something that put a dent in it all the way from the front to back cover. At least the $8 shipping insures it. The amazing thing is that I didn't see or hear any damage to the vinyl.

11. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

My copies of "Harrow" and David Rawlings' LP came without lined sleeves.

12. gumsrave

gumsrave Forum Resident

My 'Soul Journey' LP arrived today too. Perfect sunny Saturday morning album!

Sounds less compressed than the CD master to my ears, although I'm going by memory.

Bring on 'Time (The Revelator)' which is next if they're going back in order. Or, a new album?! One can hope!

13. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

This record sounds amazing and made me fall in love with this album all over again. I’d forgotten how great it is.

neruda and clgoss77 like this.
  14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Anybody else's copy noisy? Mine has bits of debris on the first tracks of both sides that cause loud pops. I couldn't get them out. :cry:

15. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Nope, mine was super flat, clean, and quiet.
    Made a nice sounding transfer on first play.

16. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

That’s what I was trying to do

17. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

My copy is on my VPI 16.5 for cleaning now. It looks perfect and came in an unlined sleeve with the song titles on one side and credits on the other. I like to put a MOFI sleeve into these.

18. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Yes, a card inner here too.

googlymoogly likes this.
  19. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Great sounding pressing, clean and flat...

bluemooze likes this.
  20. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

My copy just arrived and its wonderful just to hold it in my hand. Sometimes this is my favourite recording of theirs and sometimes its Time The Revalator - which should be up next. Just amazing to finally hold the LP and to look forward to the many listening sessions to come.

If it sounds as good as The Harrow and The Harvest we are in for a treat. Just on that one, I never really connected with the CD and only played it a handful of times. The Harrow LP must have been played 20 or more times to date already and its become one of my test LPs and one to show off my system as well as one I like to listen too late at night with a glass in my hand - just stunning.

Thanks to both Gillian and David in taking the time to do this right - bring on the others and also please some new material.....

bluemooze and ellingtonic like this.
  21. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Just got mine Perfect. It's like they are in the room with me! Another stunning job.

bluemooze, Sammy Waslow and Jellis77 like this.
  22. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

"Me, I'm waiting so patiently,"... for mine here in nw dc, they say its "out for delivery"....

23. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Just received mine as well. Both the vinyl and cover look great. The paper inner also was nice, even though it may not be perfect for holding the record. I transfered mine to a Mofi sleeve.

I did notice that the spindle hole is a touch large. I'll have to attempt to center it best I can. I'm not very good at doing that. But I also don't notice off-center issues either. And don't tell me what to listen for. I don't want to know.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Mine showed up just about perfect from amazon . Playing now. Pretty incredible.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me Thread Starter

Is it gatefold? Any difference to the sleeve art like Harrow?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.