Gilligan's Island - change to the season 2 theme

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AFOS, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

As most fans of the show know the S2 theme was changed slightly from the S1 theme - from "and the rest" to "the professor and Mary-Anne". What was the reason? Did the actors demand to be included in the theme by name? It was a bit of an insult to them to be just "the rest" - amusing for the rest of us though!

Oh and Mary-Anne > Ginger

stereoguy likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, Bob Denver did. Without telling anyone else, he confronted the studio and insisted that the characters be mentioned. The demand was initially refused, but the studio then conceded when Denver threatened to remove his name from the opening (as his contract allowed). He got his way - but none of the cast knew what he had done until years later.

Did you know that Raquel Welch auditioned for the part of Mary-Ann? How does that alter the equation? :D

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

But did you know that both of those versions are radically different from the pilot episode? Check out the pilot's theme below - it hilareous!

4. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

A two minute intro theme for a half hour show - things have changed. This theme has a Caribbean flavour whereas I always presumed the SS Minnow had left port in Hawaii. Still very neat.

5. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not much...Rachel Welch was hot,but I'd still prefer Dawn Wells :love:

Wow that's very different...interesting though to see them all getting on the boat. Thankfully they changed the theme!

marmalade and Andrew like this.
  6. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Influenced by "Dr. No"?

7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'd take Dawn Wells over RW any day. RW never did much for me :hide:

Darryl

Tim Peterson and therockman like this.
  8. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I don't like the Season 2 theme at all, very inferior to Season 1's version which is the definitive IMO.

9. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Ginger here, never understood the appeal of Mary-Anne.

dewey02 likes this.
  10. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Slap in the face to Professor and Mary Anne. Prof. recharged the radio batteries and Mary Anne made pie.

RK2249 and Chip TRG like this.
  11. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Ankles.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  12. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

On a different slant(maybe I missed something!), when was the first season colorized? MeTV has been showing them and IMO, the colorization looks washed out. I have to find my Series box and see if they bastardized that too.......

13. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Sid & Marty Kroft took notice

seed_drill likes this.
  14. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

1991. These are also edited and time-compressed to clock in at 22-23 minutes each. When aired on TNT years ago, the episodes ran faster than that. It was like Keystone Cops speed! IIRC, the vhs video releases of the colorized eps were also time-compressed. The full-season dvd releases are fine-- b&w, unedited with proper 25-26 minute running times.

Grand_Ennui and goodiesguy like this.
  15. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Bugs Bunny came to Martinique
    When he arrived he was pretty weak
    His knees look like they would buckle in
    His tribulations caused by a pen-goo-in

KYLEBOOK and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

If it's a one night wham-bam-thankyou-maam, then it's Ginger.
    Mary Ann is GF material. She's not quite as hot as Ginger, but she's more intelligent. Ginger seems like an airhead.

Eric B. and kwadguy like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Underneath de mango tree ma honey and me, we lay by the moon...

That's a very weird open -- I hadn't heard it before! Sherwood Schwartz said in his autobiography that he corralled some local LA rock band to do the theme song in his living room, and they recorded it there and slapped it on the pilot. I suspect he's remembering it wrong, because that was the theme for the CBS version that aired. Gilligan's Island is a rare comedy show that didn't really explain the characters in the first episode; it was months later when they did a Christmas episode that had flashbacks to the actual shipwreck (mostly clips from the unaired pilot but with new scenes of the revised cast).

18. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Never, ever heard that. Thanks! Very interesting, but I think the opening theme they ended up using was far better, far more memorable melody -- catchy, which is what you want in a theme. Now that I think of it, it had a kind of Kingston Trio quality about it.

19. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

In the first season the theme was sung by The Wellingtons, an LA soft vocal group.
    For the second season, and the re-record with 'The professor and Mary Anne", the theme was re-recorded by ANOTHER LA soft vocal group called The Eligibles, who had recorded on several labels, and had a sound very close to The Lettermen. They had a hit record on Capitol with "Car Trouble On a Lonely Road". Also a really nice song called "Walking With Me and My Baby Joree". In 1968, as "The In Crowd", they issued a great harmony record called "Questions and Answers" on the Viva Record label, owned by Snuff Garret.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    Kyhl, goodiesguy, Scott in DC and 3 others like this.
  20. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

When I was 13 Mary Ann was for me because she looked like literally any girl in my school. By the time I was in college the airhead quality seemed so underrated. Now having received my AARP card Mrs. Howell looks down right delicious. :nyah:

21. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I believe Ted Turner had the brilliant idea of "colorizing" the first season back in 1991. It was terrible and so the best version of that initial season is still the black & white which I hope is the go-to version on the DVD set.

22. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Mary Ann would have looked even nicer without that awful tan. It was terrible! I guess it was make-up?

23. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

24. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I like that the pilot theme shows the Howell's bringing luggage on a six hour cruise.

Chad

25. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I won tickets to a concert or movie..can't remember which..when I called into a radio station (mid 80s) knowing this answer to the question of "Who sang the Gilligan's Island theme ?"...I happened to be right next to a gas station so zipped in and used their payphone to call in.

How I remembered that ? I dunno....:nyah:

chilinvilin and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.