Gilmore Girls

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Yankee8156, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

From what I was reading, even though the later seasons were aired in 16x9, the main show runner has been fairly adamant that they always composed for 4x3 and that was the "true" aspect ratio, hence that being what was on DVD. Airing in 16x9 was more the network over-riding their decision on what the aspect ratio should be.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Well, having seen both, it looked much better in 16x9. It's not like the extra room was showing boom mics and lights. If that's true, then it sounds like the show runner was just being stubbornly backwards. If they knew the network was insisting on airing in 16x9, it was silly for he/she to insist the "true" aspect ratio was 4:3, unless it was the network cropping a 4:3 frame down, which I don't think was the case.

3. Thought this was a thread about David's fan club.

-Roger Waters

:angel:

Bob Simmons likes this.
  4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Roger doesn't know how to spell Gilmour correctly?

mrjinks likes this.
  5. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Damn - over two years later and STILL no sign of any DVDs.

Brutal.

6. Roger wouldn't just to be more spiteful.

7. Bob Simmons

Bob Simmons Active Member

Can't remember what sad period of my life when I started watching this show (lol), but got hooked on it due to the extremely fast quirky dialog, which apparently turns some viewers off. Personally I loved all the witty historical references, and you had to be fast to catch them. That being said, it is highly unlikely that either Lorelai or Rory would have ever had half the wit to know most of those facts. Loved the few Beatles' references they threw in, and the goof-ball messing with their names.

Have watched it through the entire series a few times, but have gone off on it a bit now. No wonder the Rory character made some of the idiotic choices she did, when she had a mother whose relationships were about as stable as Chernobyl. Loved the quirky sub-characters though, and if not for they and the speedy dialog probably would have passed on the show. Too bad Milissa McCarthy couldn't have maintained more of her Sooki-like character, and weight, for later roles. I just find her obnoxious in the parts she plays now, and will completely avoid a movie if she is in it. Luke was pretty much the only sane character in the entire show, and should have had better sense than to have anything more to do with Lorelai after a few of the things she pulled.

8. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

Bunheads was a pretty good show. It took a while for it to get into its groove. It was very similar to Gilmore Girls which is a good thing. The fact a smart show with interesting women characters from three different age groups could not succeed is sad.

Deesky likes this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I absolutely loved Bunheads and Sutton Foster was as delightful and charming as Lauren Graham in Gilmore Girls. She was due to star in a new show called Younger I think. Not sure if that's still on...

10. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

For those that missed it...some of the bunheads got together for a last dance, and it's great. Somehow, they managed to get the rights to an Elton John song for this.

Deesky likes this.
  11. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I agree with most of your thoughts here. The charm of the show was the rest of Stars Hollow, not Lorelai and Rory's love life and drama. I would guess that the shows core audience would disagree with me though.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, I would. The charm and the soul of the show is Lorelai, period.

13. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

14. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Timely. My wife just finished binge watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix. Unlike some other shows that she watches, I didn't feel any desire to vacate the room immediately when an episode was playing. Lauren Graham is very easy on the eye, and the dialogue was fast and witty.

--Geoff

zen likes this.
  15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Absolutely. The show's great memory that I revisit from time to time and I wouldn't want to have it spoiled by some latter day cashing-in movie. It's too late for that, not least because the cast is older (and so wouldn't have the same vibe) and Edward Herrmann is no longer with us.

Yankee8156 likes this.
  16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

My wife was a huge fan, I started to sit in and usually enjoyed it quite a bit. Some very fast good humor and situations. I was reasonably impressed. Certainly worth tuning in more often than not.

17. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Just saw this thread pop up again and am inspired to re-watch the first season. Thanks for the reminder!

18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Not obsessed, but I like the show. Have watched it many times.

19. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Yeah, I've been planning for a while to re-watch at least the first three seasons. I tend to gradually lose interest after Rory goes to college, but those first three years were gold.

Given the television industry's current infatuation with remakes (can't WAIT for the rebooted Coach...ha!), I'm sure there'll be a movie or limited series at some point. The fanbase has remained very interested in the show and Amy Sherman-Palladino would at last get the final word on the series.

20. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

A Spy told me that Melissa McCarthy had something else going on this past weekend, but I would hope that any reunion would include her.

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Kind of interesting that she's become the biggest star out of the main cast, post-Gilmore Girls.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

And I COULDN'T STAND HER from Episode #1 - the only real sour note in that show to me, which I found quite intelligent and entertaining otherwise. America's fascination with McCarthey stupefies me...

Another somewhat similar "chick show" that I'm surprised doesn't have a dedicated thread here is Felicity. There was some really clever writing in that show along with some great characters...

Deesky likes this.
  23. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Then, there's Danny Strong (Paris' college boyfriend, Doyle), who's become a famous co-creator of Empire. I got a laugh from one of the reunion articles where AS-P said "I love that Danny has become the voice of black America." :laugh:

24. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Danny Strong also had a recurring role as "Jonathan" on Buffy The Vampire Slayer, he even got an episode devoted directly to him!

25. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.