Give me the top 3 vinyl shops in the Boston area

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by bartels76, May 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Give me the the to 3 vinyl shops in the Boston area

I'm going to a Sox game on Sat and I have some time to go into some vinyl shops.

Give me the top 3 vinyl shops to go to. I just want used rock vinyl from the 60's-80's- nothing fancy. Please only give me Boston area shops.

Maybe 1 used CD shop as well to go to.

Thanks!

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Don't miss Looney Tunes or Nuggets. The rest might be hit or miss, but the two are within walking distance, especially if you include lunch between them!

Look for that burrito place near Nuggets. Damn!

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Also In Your Ear, especially the location on Commenwealth Ave, near BU (right next to the McDonald's).

Actually, Looney Tunes kinda sucks anymore, IMHO. They went through an ownership change a few years ago, and now price their vinyl way too high...Before that, it was a great place to shop!

If you are looking for jazz, you might check out Stereo Jack's in Cambridge on Mass Ave.

Kwad

4. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

What he said. It's the BEST for jazz and blues vinyl.

5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Boston is a GREAT walking city and the stores that have been mentioned will give you a nice stroll up Commonwealth Avenue. The concentration of students that need quick cash seems to plentifully stock these shops with primo LPs at reasonable prices. If you get a chance once you've done that, take the "T" to Harvard or Central Square and walk down Mass. Avenue for a bunch of other very fine vinyl haunts. Mr. Bartley's at Harvard Square is worth the trip alone for its amazing burgers and Haaaavaaad ambiance-lotsa students and deep thinkers, mixed in with us riff-raff, at very close quarters. Spring for the fries-onion rings combo-you won't regret it (but your arteries will). Pick up a Globe, have a seat and just take it all in.
    Hope you have good weather.

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

I'm CD (no LP unfortunately), but I think I can help guide you... take the T to Harvard Square and start walking back toward Central Square on Mass Ave (toward the bridge over the Charles River into Boston). You'll pass four or five good places on either side between Harvard and Central squares.

Again, I'm CD-only, but these places also sell vinyl (more vinyl than CD in some instances). Plus, it's a great walk. Grab a burger at Bartleys on Mass Ave near harvard square if you're hungry.

EDIT: Whoops, I seem to have repeated most of Bill's post! Seriously, those burgers are great... try the sweet potato fries for slightly lower carb/fat!

7. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

For used CDs, hit up CD Spins on Newbury St. (there's also one at Park Street and one in Cambridge as well).

8. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

Mmmm.... Burrito Max!

9. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I preferred (greatly!) Anna's or El Pilon...:agree:

Nuggets didn't have much stuff when I was there last (November) either, but maybe it's improved...

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Nuggets can be a garbage pit or a treasure trove. It takes some looking around. I spent 2 hours in there easy!

11. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I did too...:laugh: I did pick up a cheap US Apple Ram there, so I suppose it just depends on the week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.