Glen Campbell - his work with The Beach Boys and Jan & Dean

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shokhead, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

How much work did he do with The Beach Boys and Jan and Dean?

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

He toured with the Beach Boys, replacing Brian Wilson on the road from January through April, 1965. He turned down an offer to become an official member, which is when Bruce Johnston joined them. He played on some, but not all, of their studio sessions with the "Wrecking Crew".

3. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

He was all over the place '62 - '64. He's listed on the back cover of Jan & Dean's Surf City LP and played on the backing instro tracks through '64. You can actually hear (on some presses) Jan Berry call out to Campbell on J&D's covers of "Kansas City" (something like "OK Glen baby!) and their 1964 cover of Memphis (an almost whispered "Glen...").

IIRC the intro to the Beach Boys "Fun Fun Fun" is Glen Campbell, as well as the way cool lead break on The Rip Chords late 1962 cover of "She Thinks I Still Care".

He also did studio surf music knock-offs for Del-Fi under a variety of group names, although The Darts is the only one I can remember just now.

He also recorded a bunch of 12-string guitar and rock guitar LPs and individual tracks during that era both under his own name and other group names.

Here's are some lists:

http://64.224.220.97/discus/messages/5/2393.html?1140222242

http://www.glencampbellshow.com/discog.html

His LP "The Big Bad Rock Guitar of Glen Campbell" is a lost classic of the genre--kind of a hyped up Ventures with spy movie horns. Great!

Dale

4. shokhead

He's a hell of a talent,underated?

5. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Way underrated and multi-talented IMO.

Dale

6. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Listen to his early albums of folk and bluegrass styles.

7. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

Great guitar player.

8. EditDave

EditDave New Member

That's Glen on the intro to "Fun, Fun, Fun"? I always assumed that was Carl.

Perhaps the world at large isn't familiar with all of the wonderful session work he did, but I'm not sure I'd call him underrated. Glen went on to become a HUGE star in the late '60 and well into the '70s. He's still got tons of fans. I'd say he's rated.

9. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

From Wikipedia:

Campbell was greatly in demand as a session musician in the 1960s. He is heard on some of the largest-selling records of the era by such artists as Bobby Darin, Ricky Nelson, Merle Haggard, The Monkees, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, The Association, Jan & Dean and The Mamas & the Papas.

He was a full-fledged member of The Beach Boys, filling in for an ailing Brian Wilson on tour in 1964 and 1965 and he also played on the Pet Sounds album.

Other classics featuring his outstanding guitar playing include: "Strangers in the Night" by Frank Sinatra, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" by the Righteous Brothers and "I'm a Believer" by The Monkees.

Campbell was part of the famous studio musicians clique known as "The Wrecking Crew," many of whom went from session to session together as the same group. In addition to Campbell, Hal Blaine on drums and Carol Kaye on bass guitar were part of this elite group of session musicians that defined many pop and rock recordings of the era. They were also heard on Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound" recordings in the early 1960s.

Here are some more tracks:

Everybody Loves Somebody - Dean Martin
    Johnny Angel - Shelley Fabares
    The Unicorn - The Irish Rovers
    Just Dropped In - Kenny Rogers and The First Edition

10. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

And, of course, Brian gave "Guess I'm Dumb" to Glen--probably one of the greatest songs from the whole decade that wasn't a hit.

11. stevenm

stevenm New Member

Lead vocal on 'My world fell down'.

12. 905

905 Senior Member

Last time I saw Glen live was in Feb. 2003. Excellent playing throughout the show, and Glen still plays part of William Tell with the guitar on top of his head. I listen to his late 60's-early 70's era quite often.

13. shokhead

I wonder if his tv show is on DVD? I remewmber he had some great music guests.

14. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I added to the thread title to be a bit more specific here.

15. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

Glen did the original guitar intro which you can clearly hear on the mono version. It's got that trademark Glen Campbell guitar style. Very country/hillbilly sound. During the vocal sessions, Carl and Brian overdubbed the instrumental break guitar and organ. The stereo version is Carl's overdub over Glen's guitar on the intro and Carl on the instrumental break guitar solo.

16. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

He talks on the Endless Harmony DVD (I think) of how he played on 'Dance Dance Dance', even demonstrating how he assisted Brian at arriving at the intro.

Doesn't Glen play on the original 'Good Vibrations'?

17. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

Coincidentally, I saw a very brief clip of Glen Campbell doin"Guess I'm Dumb" from what looked like a 60s TV appearance on the O'Reilly Factor last night. Glen was a guest on the show.

18. shokhead

Now why didnt i think of that,thanks:righton:

19. shokhead

Thats what got me to thinking as i watch Bill most nights.

20. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

I Know it's off topic, but I think " Witchita Lineman" Is one of the coolest ( and Best) songs ever! Great sound , singing, and playing!

21. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

Where can I hear "Guess I'm Dumb"? I've heard a lot about it over the years. Is it really that good and if so I wonder why Brian gave it away?

22. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

23. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

It was thanks for filling in while he was recuperating from his nervous breakdown. Glen Campbell does his best Brian Wilson vocal imitation on that one.

24. It's pretty good, probably my favorite Glen Campbell song. One in-print official disc I know it's on is "The Honeys Collection" (Collector's Choice). This is because The Honeys (Brian's wife Marilyn, her sister and Brian's flame Diane Rovell,:winkgrin: and cousin Ginger Blake) sang backup.

The real reason to get "The Honeys Collection" though is because it's the only Honeys disc in print. I think it's incredibly good but I know I'm a hopeless Honeys fanatic.:love:

Will

25. I forgot to mention:
    Brian gave this song to Glen as a going away present in appreciation for his service as a Beach Boy.
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.