Glenn Danzig - No Threads (Now The Glenn Danzig Thread)! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scuzzer, Apr 7, 2008.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

And yet in that instance, the old guy got the upper hand. Glenn, unfortunately, did not and Glenn started it.

2. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Nolan Ryan was a freaking beast and Glenn Danzig was always the shortest guy in the band. There's a huge difference. Fighting a beast is going to hurt. Fighting someone with short man syndrome is like spanking a child.

3. How do you feel about Roky Erickson?
    Danzig has a great rockabilly howl going on with the Misfits. He doesn't seem as mannered and self conscious as he would become.

GodShifter and Nice Marmot like this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Not a big fan of Roky either except with 13th Floor Elevators.

5. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I like Misfits but am not so cool to have heard of them before Metallica.

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I hadn't either. I explored some stuff after hearing the covers and didn't like it. I didn't like the Metallica covers very much either.

Nice Marmot likes this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Glenn is what? 5'2"? That's got to be hard on a guy to be that short. He's obviously overcompensated with his physique due to being so diminutive. Still, even short guys can fight: see Bruce Lee.

moops and Nice Marmot like this.
  8. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

I hope the new album does well for him, as I say, he's super talented and a living legend, but needs better musicians and a good producer (and a good vocal trainer) to make a comeback

For some reason I can't stop thinking about Randy "The Ram" from The Wrestler when I think about the man, his past glory and the quality level for recent, and new, albums

One of my favorite songs, with a kind of a Misfits vibe, from Danzig IV

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  9. unclesalty

unclesalty Rzzzzz!

This is a really cool interview. Although, it takes a while to sit through...

10. Samson7

Samson7 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

11. moops

moops Senior Member

Anyone ever see John Christ sitting in with the Letterman band as guest guitarist one night ?
    I always wonder how he came to be there.

12. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

The first album has an audiophile grade mastering courtesy of Barry Diament.

13. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Back to the covers:

It's not a coincidence that Danzig 2 and The Doors look similar. The early Misfits songs were drums, bass, and keyboards, with Glenn singing in his best Jim Morrison impression (which he always did and still does).

It's my opinion, being a big fan listening to him and taking serious vocal lessons for a few years, that Glenn sings in a lower register than he would naturally, in order to sound more like his idol, JM. I also remember reading that he had some vocal problems around V and IV that contributed to the strange turn in his vocal sound at that time, using all the effects. IF it's true that he had vocal problems, and afterward his voice sounded much weaker, which it does, it could have been at least partially due to the strain of trying to sing lower than his natural voice. Again, just a guess, and I wouldn't mind being corrected if someone has other info.

14. he mentioned the Doors and Elvis quite a bit in that 3 hour interview @unclesalty posted.

kannibal likes this.
  15. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

And I think that pic is Glenn in front of Graceland...could be wrong. Great interview btw. Not completely through it but lots of good bits.

16. Good catch about Graceland... The interview was worth it sitting through. Too bad Glen didnt turn off the tv or whatever, he had a lot of interesting points. Also, was cool to hear Pushead talk, I only knew him as the dude that made killer art work for bands and skateboards.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on Glen and JM. I always felt he sounded liked Jim and now I dont feel so crazy for thinking it. Seeing the album cover now in a different light.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  17. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Same here. Danzig 4 tour. Played too many of the slow songs.

I have a friend that saw them on the first tour. Played Misfits and Samhain songs!

Nice Marmot likes this.
  18. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

For me The Misfits was already my fav band when metallic released the garage inc.
    Thanks to a punk rock store I used to visit
    Some Kind Of Hate is the first music I learn how to play on guitar (because so easy, lol)

Misfits and Descendents pretty much shaped my idea of punk rock and so was never a Sex Pistols / Ramones fan

Nice Marmot and ArpMoog like this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

3 hours! :faint: Ain't nobody got time for that!

20. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The new song has grown on me, even the vocals. Can't wait to hear the album even though I know it is going to make this non-audiophile's ears bleed.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I like the new song. After the great 2015-16 releases from older metal bands I wouldn't be surprised if it's the best Danzig since the 90s. Being on Nuclear Blast is a good sign. Markus won't let them put out a poor album.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

As long as Tommy Victor is playing guitar the music is going to sound subpar. He has the worst tone ever.

23. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

How The Gods Kill was stellar, but I rate Danzig 4 as the closest to a masterpiece they ever got; dark, dense, intense, and at times genuinely unsettling, with really interesting new sonic textures being explored and some absolutely killer playing and songwriting... what a pity the original line-up imploded soon after that, although if they had remained intact and Glenn D still insisted on the (lamentable) direction he took with Blackaciddevil, so be it, but I'd sure love to have seen what they could have still produced had they stayed together for at least one more album... that was one hell of a band, and had they stayed on the musical road they were on, they could well have delivered a bona fide masterpiece, I really mean it...

24. unclesalty

unclesalty Rzzzzz!

You'd be surprised at how engaging it is, but it took many trips back to finish.

Rhapsody In Red and GodShifter like this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

From what I understand talking with Eerie Von before a concert, the "band" for the first album was not meant as a permanent thing. In fact, on the beginning of the first tour there were serious doubts as to whether the project was going to work at all. Eerie's comment to me was, "we'll see what happens; if it doesn't work out, we'll do something else".

Danzig has stated (perhaps revisionist history) that the first line up was never meant to be permanent. The initial idea was to bring in a bunch of guests and make an album. It only so happened that Danzig's wish of getting Biscuits and Eerie fell into place and he happened upon a hotshot guitarist in Christ. So the line up for the first four albums was solidified almost by accident. Too bad it didn't stay together longer but the writing was on the wall. That said, BLACKACIDEVIL is way better than most give it credit for. It's different but that doesn't make it bad. I like it.