Glenn Danzig - No Threads (Now The Glenn Danzig Thread)! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scuzzer, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Just saw Danzig on the Black Laden tour. Show was postponed due to throat problems. I didn't know what to expect. Deafheaven opened up, never heard of them. They were awesome. Slayer and the Cure mixed up with a little My Bloody Valentine. Never dug those kind of vocals but man they were mesmerizing. Danzig took the stage and tore it up just total energy and real we are all one vibe. Less people in the crowd 'cause of the few day postponement. But all of us, lots of females which tripped me out were one. Just rockin' show. He gave it all and more. Slappin hands with everyone. Great great band. I've heard the criticism of his singing and the guitarist but, to me i didn't hear it. I have a boot from 89 and he sang that same way live then. And the guitarist drummer and bass were all in. Such a great cathartic show.

Glen is such a cool songwriter. In all forms , Misfits Samhain and solo. He has his thing but he knows the past. They call him Elvis but i see him as Roy Orbison. Deth Red is awesome. Great record. He played a couple of new songs both were cool.

2. fuzzybam

fuzzybam Well-Known Member

Samhain is my favorite band, for sure. I was hoping to see the Misfits reunion shows going on but I never seem to be able to make it or get tickets.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  3. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

Just got Black Laden Crown - about 4-5 songs in on the trip to work this morning. Just found this thread - really only dropping in a comment to keep an eye on it and read it all later this evening.

Thought Deth Red was a decent return to form (we know we'll never hit the first four album form) and the half of Black Laden Crown seems decent on first dip in. Seems the song writing is stronger and the band gelling better on each album - after a pretty bad start with Circle Of Snakes (or that album just hasn't clicked with me at all - after a good 7:77 album)

Brenald79 and Greenalishi like this.
  4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I feel the same. I need to give Circle of Snakes more chance, I heard it in the car one of these days and it is better than I remembered it.

ifihadafish and Greenalishi like this.
  5. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Something for everyone here...

Greenalishi, Szeppelin75 and Mr. H like this.
  6. punkmusick

I just bought an original Plan 9 pressing of Black Aria. Gonna listen later tonight. :goodie:

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  7. punkmusick

Now listening! Superb!! A few clicks and pops here and there but otherwise sounds astonishing.

johnny q likes this.
  8. Greenalishi

What is Black Aria like. It's not a band thing right? I've never heard it.

I'd like to hear the Samhain stuff. Out of print i think. Or just hard to get and pricey. Love Glen's songwriting.

Just went to discogs and every album by Samhain is way pricey. Someone needs to put this out again.

9. punkmusick

Black Aria is classical music / horror movie soundtrack. Phenomenal.

I have only the CD reissues of Samhain that came in the box set. Never heard an original vinyl pressing. I do know however that the CD reissue of Unholy Passion uses a newer and better remix different from the original vinyl.

I'm listening to Lucifuge now. Original LP US pressing, superb as well.

500Homeruns and Greenalishi like this.
  10. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

To be honest, Black Aria is just really bad classical music. It's not his strong point but good on him for trying something so totally different.

Greenalishi and GodShifter like this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought Black Aria was very amateurish sounding. I didn’t like it.

500Homeruns and Greenalishi like this.
  12. Greenalishi

Lucky you. That box or any Samhain CDs are just way overpriced.

13. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Send me a PM. I might be able to help you out. :thumbsup:

punkmusick likes this.
  14. punkmusick

I agree to a point. If you're going to compare it to great classical music, well, Danzig is no Mozart. They play different leagues. It's classical / soundtrack / ambience made by a rocker, almost by himself, and released by himself in his own label, kind of amateurish and DIY. It's great for what it is, we shouldn't be too demanding, in my opinion.

15. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

Its pure crap. Danzig died creatively after 4. Going down to embarrassing lowpoints as black aria.

I love what the guy has some before but not going to blindly admire anything he pulls out. He's fortunate to have still a fan base.

16. HankM

HankM Senior Member

I like the Misfits and Danzig 1-3 albums. Maybe I'll revisit 4, used to own it years ago but don't remember it and never enjoyed it. One of my favorite tracks of Glenn's work is When Death Had No Name.

Greenalishi and Mr. H like this.
  17. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I think 4 is a bit of a sleeper. I never really think of it as great as the earlier ones, but each time I spin it it surprises me. 5 is when things get shakey for me, though there is much to be liked on all of his albums, in my opinion. His recent stuff has been pretty great too.

Samhain is f’n incredible too if you like Misfits and Danzig. It sounds like the missing link that it is.

Greenalishi, HankM and punkmusick like this.
  18. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

i like the old samhain stuff, and first s/t solo record he did, other than that, he is not that good.

i enjoy the video of him getting KTFO backstage by that bouncer. hahaha,...now yoou see me,...now yoou dont :)

19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I revisited 6:66 Satans Child, I Luciferi and Circle Of Snakes recently. Previously considered by many (including myself) to be the unholy trinity of crap! Surprisingly, all of them contain better songs than I recall. No, they are nowhere near the level of the first 4, or even Deth Red Sabaoth or Black Laden Crown. But there are some good songs there for sure. Problem is, the mix is problematic. Not only does it sound lo-fi and amateurish, Danzig himself is oftentimes buried in the mix! I honestly think if these albums were recorded better and properly mixed, opinions would be a bit more favorable.

20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

There's some seriously overlooked, very solid albums from that era - early to mid 2000s - from 90s bands. The 2003 albums by Prong, Ministry, & Killing Joke and those 3 Danzig albums you mentioned.

Greenalishi, Mr. H and punkmusick like this.
  21. punkmusick

I love these three records. I Luciferi is just perfect from start to finish. Joey Castillo, Todd Youth, Howie Pyro and Glenn Danzig, what a line up.

johnny q and Greenalishi like this.
  22. Jochen

Jochen Forum Resident

Agreed - not bad albums, but uneven. Handful of great songs between them.

Black Laden Crown was a letdown. Not worth a six year wait, especially with how good DRS was. Skeletons is fun though.

And no matter what, he's still one of the best live performers out there. I've seen him 7 times over the last 10 years and every show was phenomenal.

moops, johnny q, Greenalishi and 2 others like this.
  23. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yeah - I particularly like, "The Coldest Sun" and "Without Light, I Am." But man, who signed off on that mix? I sometimes wonder if obscuring the vocals was intentional, perhaps for effect?

punkmusick likes this.
  24. punkmusick

I guess it was intentional. Danzig likes to experiment different sonds. The first four were more straight production because it was Rubin in charge.

25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

That's kinda my thoughts as well. Not the first time he obscured his own voice - listen to the distortion effects on Blackacidevil or the industrial leaning tracks on 6:66 Satans Child. I almost feel like the 3 albums we are discussing, were intentionally made to sound lo-fi. Putting the vocals back in the mix gives it a creepy vibe. I don't have to like it though! :)

Mr. H and punkmusick like this.