Glenn Danzig - No Threads (Now The Glenn Danzig Thread)! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scuzzer, Apr 7, 2008.

1. hotrats2

hotrats2 New Member

Danzig 4 is great, ya gotta love that pic of em in caskets with the prez and the company men on phones, it was so cool at the time.

Greenalishi likes this.
  2. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

Judging from what I had heard from the last few Danzig albums I didn't think it was possible for me to enjoy his new music. Well, one listen to the new album and I was just proven wrong. I really didn't expect to like it so much.

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

I've been playing it multiple times a day since picking it up.

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I have been jamming it as well. Good album!

Greenalishi likes this.
  5. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident

Greenalishi likes this.
  6. Modern_Mannequin

Modern_Mannequin Active Member

I sampled some songs from the new album. Apart from the first song I found it kind of average, to be honest. I think people may be succumbing to the hype a bit, and from having their lowered expectations surpassed (considering his last few albums haven't been particularly well-received). Nonetheless, glad to see he's back and still pleasing the fans!

Greenalishi likes this.
  7. mrlefty

mrlefty Forum Resident

I'm a fan, but I can understand why the "metal" fans didn't jump on board immediately.

1. The Misfits were hardcore punk, skater music. Samhain was heavier, but still had a punk reputation. Glenn Danzig couldn't shake that association immediately.

2. The excellent "Danzig" debut that came out in 1988 had more in kin with 70s hard rock than the current metal scene dominated by screeching falsetto vocalists, pastel spandex, and "how fast can you play" guitar solos.

As the fortunes of the spandex clad came crashing down with the rise of Nirvana and company, Danzig's stock improved. He was seen as an alternative before it was called alternative.

Greenalishi likes this.
  8. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Put on the first album for the first time in ages after reading this thread. Its a great album, really sticks in my head more than the last time I listened to it.

He is an amazingly talented singer

Greenalishi likes this.
  9. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Agreed-

The Misfits were skater music ...

Greenalishi likes this.
  10. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Good news, I finally spotted a used copy of the S/T Danzig debut.
    American 88697-14645-2 Manufactured and distributed by Sony BMG Music Entertainment. Although there isn't a re-issue date anywhere, the American Flag and star on the spine suggest thats it's from the 2007 American moves to Sony re-issue campaign. The booklet still credits Barry Diament @ Barry Diament Audio for the CD Mastering. As a bonus my 2007 re-issue now carries a Parental Advisory Explicit Content on the cover. I read the entire lyric sheet, can someone tell me why this has a parental advisory?

1. 92.3
    2. 82.5
    3. 84.8
    4. 97.8
    5. 87.0
    6. 81.6
    7. 85.1
    8. 84.6
    9. 77.6
    10. 87.1
    I understand that peak levels aren't the last word in mastering but it looks reasonable. Can some one please post the levels on an original DEF American #9 24208-2 copy?

Greenalishi likes this.
  11. In-Absentia

I bought that album in 2004 and it has the Parental Advisory label right on the art. I'm guessing it was just a prejudice against Danzig in combination with the "evil" artwork and song titles. It's laughable, really.

Greenalishi likes this.
  12. In-Absentia

Oh yeah, that's definitely part of it. I think with a string of unsuccessful albums and then a long break recording (from metal, he did a classical album I believe) and doing other projects made people doubt he would ever make a great Danzig record again.

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

Yeh, that Danzig hype has been beating down my door.

No lowered expectations here. It's just a rockin album (flaws and all) in my book.

Greenalishi and KAT like this.
  14. The Card Cheat

The Card Cheat Forum Resident

That's what I've been thinking. I'm pretty sure all of Danzig's American recordings have had Parental Advisory stickers despite not having any F bombs, one of the only bands I know of to have that problem. I believe the old sticker on the earlier editions of the first album was more like "Contains lyrics that may be offensive to some listeners", or something like that. Never mind that some people might be offended by Christian lyrics. :D

Greenalishi likes this.
  15. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Greenalishi likes this.
  16. motorcitydave

I dunno if you remember, but the punks didn't really cotton to the first Danzig album when it came out back in '88.

The first Danzig album reminds me a bit of 'Electric' by the Cult, but darker and more sinister.

Greenalishi likes this.
  17. motorcitydave

Fair enough. :D:thumbsup:

Greenalishi and schizzzo like this.
  18. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

That's a really good comparison.

Greenalishi likes this.
  19. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Good points. I think the only reason the debut sold at all initially was because James Hetfield wore the t shirt for the entire first leg of the 'Justice' tour. I'm not saying it wasn't deserving, it just didn't quite fit anywhere as you note.

Greenalishi likes this.
  20. motorcitydave

Thanks. :cool::thumbsup:

Greenalishi likes this.
  21. Inertiatic-Wrist

Inertiatic-Wrist Forum Resident

So, did anybody catch one of the 9 tour dates? How was the show?

Greenalishi likes this.
  22. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident

I know, but it is still funny.

Greenalishi likes this.
  23. sf74

sf74 Active Member

it doesn't change the fact that it's still really funny.

it's just as funny as the onstage banter that the Misfits used to spew back in the day.

"***in' guitars man. They don't make them like they used to." which was said by Misfits guitarist, Doyle, who was probably 15-16 years old at the time.

or "We pound these ****in' guitars like jackhammers!" -Jerry Only

or "One more ****in' time you a**hole and you die!" - Glenn Danzig

24. mrlefty

mrlefty Forum Resident

The 'Danzig' debut featured high production value and skilled musicianship, two things that will drive away the punk crowd.

The Cult comparison is interesting, as both 'Electric' and 'Danzig' were produced by Rick Rubin. One friend who was into new wave and a fan of the 'Love' album stopped like The Cult with 'Electric'. He said it sounded "too metal."

Greenalishi likes this.
  25. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

I believe it was Eerie Von who said that Rick Rubin had two production styles: AC/DC and Led Zeppelin. Clearly the first Danzig record--as well as the Cult's Electric--got the former treatment. While I used to think it sounded too sterile, I've come to love the production on the Danzig LP. I often wonder how the fourth Samhain record would have sounded without Rubin, as the demos on the box set are very, very different.

Greenalishi likes this.