Glenn Danzig - No Threads (Now The Glenn Danzig Thread)! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scuzzer, Apr 7, 2008.

1. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

I owe my Danzig love to James Hetfield and Metallica (Last Caress/ Green Hell) covers.

Greenalishi likes this.
  2. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I love the sound on that 1st Danzig album.

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

It's especially good on vinyl. The cd is ok too, but not as good, imo.

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. Inertiatic-Wrist

Inertiatic-Wrist Forum Resident

I REALLY wish American would re-release the first 4 albums on vinyl!

I mean, why not? They're sure to sell quite well. Hell, even make it a limited run of 2500 copies or so, and I woud guarantee they would sell out pretty darn quick.

I really want these albums on vinyl but don't want to pay upwards of 40-100 for each! :realmad:

5. motorcitydave

I just have the first 1 and the 4th one. And the "Her Black Wings" 12" All of these sound great.

I agree, but that's up to Rick Rubin.

Greenalishi likes this.
  6. Jeff56

Jeff56 Forum Resident

An easy way to spot an original Danzig s/t cd is to look at the spine... it's black and on the DEF American label..

The original Danzig II albums booklet opened up like an inverted cross as well... reissues don't !

As for the 1st album, I've had the reissue (with PA on artwork), an early def american press and a Def American press from Germany.. The german one sounds best to me.

Side note.. I LOVE that H.R. Giger "Master and the Margarita" cover art on Danzig III

Greenalishi likes this.
  7. MrFusion

MrFusion Member

So, after all this, does anyone have a definitive answer to the question:

Are the recent reissues just that or have they been remastered too?

Greenalishi likes this.
  8. As far as I remember it was the 'chicken ripping over woman' scene from the Mother video that caught the eye of the PMRC types

Especially the dodgily drawn knife on the back lol

Greenalishi likes this.
  9. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

Samhain's Initium is an awesome album, but also one of the albums that is desperately in need of a remaster. It sounds like it was recorded on an old boombox or something.

Then Danzig I comes along and has some of the best production ever. And it's one of my top ten favorite albums of all time.

The Misfits are kind of the Beatles of punk for me. I've just heard every single song thousands of times and I'm kinda over them. They're great, but you can't go to a show where someone is covering their songs, or playing them between bands, or a friend puts them on when you're at his house, or they put them on at work, or at a punk bar... You see what I'm saying.

Danzig and Samhain, though, don't get nearly as much play. Yet they're equally as good, if not better. That's probably why I gravitate towards them when I wanna hear Misfits type stuff.

Greenalishi likes this.
  10. Catywampus

Catywampus Forum Resident

Given the Slayer LP box of American albums that was just announced, there may be hope yet!

Greenalishi likes this.
  11. motorcitydave

We shall see...:cool: If Rick Rubin thinks he can make a buck off of them, then we'll probably see them back on vinyl.

Greenalishi likes this.
  12. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

There's a 2-disc Essential Danzig collection scheduled for release on June 7.

13. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

14. JA Fant

Stick w/ the original CD pressings.

15. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

why exactly? are the reissues different somehow?

16. Inertiatic-Wrist

Inertiatic-Wrist Forum Resident

I can't believe this hasn't been discussed yet!

Danzig's Legacy Tour this fall! Reuniting with Samhain for a set, and with Doyle for a Misfits set, and then still after that a solo Danzig set! So far only a few festival appearances have been announced, but this is so freaking excting!!!

They're headlining a night of Fun Fun Fun Fest here in Austin and I can't wait!!!

17. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I'm def. gonna hit the Hammerstein Ballroom show for that!

18. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I was able to see Danzig w/ Doyle this week and it was a great experience. Danzig was having a hard time with the monitors and flipped out a bit, eventually he seemed like he accepted it when he realized that everyone was having a great time anyway. He wouldn't know, but he sounded great for having monitor issues, so I was happy to see him forget about it and just put on a great show. The Misfits songs were great, and Danzig's voice held up well live. I wasn't sure what to expect considering how strange he has sounded on some of the more recent albums.

Obviously I love 1-4 like most fans, but I think 6 has some great songs with some very heavy riffs and "13", his version is haunting, and I agree with most that the new album is his best in a while, even if it is just due to hype or a desire for some of quality from him.
    I too would love to see a reissue of the first 4 LPs but something tells me the bad blood between Danzig and Rubin are to blame for nothing happening on that front.

19. JA Fant

Kannibal-

when did Danzig fall-out w/ Rubin?

20. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I have no attribution on this, but one ex American artist said that considering Rick's executive prodcer fee, they expeceted more from Rick than listening to the final mixes on an iPod while riding an exercise bicycle and eating a tuna fish sandwich.

21. Catywampus

Catywampus Forum Resident

Although there was a picture disc reissue of the first LP a few years ago that was an exclusive to Urban Outfitters. I'd guess that was a legit release, and not a boot.

22. JA Fant

I am sure RR has a very large ego, a person of his status- whom would not?-
    I would be interested in reading about other artists that had a fall-out.

23. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

That is a good question, and i'm embarrassed to say that I really don't know. Maybe it was something that I heard or just assumed. It would have been after 4 obviously, but I guess I should look around a bit for some info.

24. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

From Wikipedia:

I just Googled "Danzig Rubin" and tons of stuff came up. Mostly vague, but control and royalties seem to be a pretty consistent theme.

25. JA Fant

Thanks! kannibal.