Glenn Danzig - No Threads (Now The Glenn Danzig Thread)! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scuzzer, Apr 7, 2008.

1. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Second note,

no doubt that Rubin wants his 'share' of any profits to be exhumed.

2. JA Fant

Have any of you guys ever met Danzig, in person?

It would be interesting to note, whether or not, he is as 'dark' as his music.

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

[​IMG]

He's just a guy buying cat litter like any other guy, only shorter...

Greenalishi and Jam757 like this.
  4. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I spoke to him on the phone in 1986. I got his home # from one of his former bandmates and while he was initially pretty reserved and - face it - annoyed, he warmed up to me when he realized that I was just a 14 year old geek who wanted to chat with him about Plan 9 colored vinyl and limited pressings and other innocuous things. All things considered, he was pretty cool.

I met him outside the Channel in Boston three years later - Danzig was touring behind their debut album and I couldn't get in to the show because I wasn't yet 18 (and didn't have a fake ID). He chatted with me & my friends for a few minutes and said he'd try to sneak us into the show. That never happened but we had a blast watching it through a gap in the backstage door, kind of like some sort of suburban punk rock Knothole Gang.

A friend of mine lived in Los Feliz, CA, for a few years during the past decade. Whenever I'd visit him, we'd always drive by this little black house with a dead lawn and blacked-out windows on a residential street . My friend would always joke "You don't want to be the kid who has to get the ball out of that yard." About a year after I last visited, I found out that little grotto was, in fact, La Casa de Glenn. Lodi West. Chateau Anzalone. The Horror Hotel.

I laughed for about two days.

5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I have. At least a dozen times over the last 24 years. Pretty cool guy, imo!

Then again, I'm down with the dark forces, so that's maybe why he likes me?

Greenalishi likes this.
  6. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I've heard his stuff. I kinda want to like it. The music is cool and he is a good vocalist. But I cant forgive the dark subject matter. It's a shame talents like this embrace such a negative topic.

To each, his own.

7. motorcitydave

Well, going by your avatar, you dig Iggy Pop. Iggy's got some dark subject matter in his songs as well. Not calling you a hypocrite, mind you, I'm just pointing something out to you that maybe you overlooked. :cool:

Greenalishi likes this.
  8. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Awesome pic. He looks to be still in decent shape.

I saw him several years ago before the "Legacy" tour was announced. In Atlantic City. He was griping about the crowd, how little of them were there. He had, however, already made up with Doyle, from the Misfits. They did a Misfits mini set in the middle of Glenn's regular set. It was amazing!! As a fan of all things Danzig, I thought it would be kind of neat to see them playing together. It was probably the best part of the show, for me.

Also, Danzig's new record sounds great to my ears.

9. motorcitydave

Yeah, Glenn's been doing Misfits sets with Doyle now for the past 7 years now. Including Legacy.

10. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

id like to catch some of that. not a fan of festivals though. rather catch a club show or something. im a huge fan of the first 2 Danzig albums and everything Misfits. i do need to catch up on the 3rd and 4th albums and maybe some of the other stuff.

i got to see him once with the original Danzig lineup in Portchester NY on Halloween night. fantastic show. my ears are still bleeding though.

11. JA Fant

Funny pic. Much Thanks! for all of your stories. Being a Metal fan for some time now, it appears that, some artists/bands are into the 'dark' side only for the money. Nothing wrong w/ this concept one way or another....

12. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

He's always at his booth at the Comic Con, alone. Always afraid to talk to him. I think everyone is.

13. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I agree - this is almost a return to form if you are a fan of his first few solo records. However, what holds it back for me is the awful sound quality and the horrific guitar solos.

This is a great thread - I have been a fan of Danzig since the Misfit days and like someone said earlier...the first 4 Danzig albums are a must. When BlacAcidDevil came out I just couldn't understand why he would obscure that great voice under all those effects and noise.

And yes...the man can sing.:righton:

ifihadafish likes this.
  14. nodeerforamonth

I thought by "new album ", we were talking about his new album of covers which is out soon. The song streaming on his site is amazing. Sounds like classic Misfits.

15. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I like Glenn; I wasn't into punk so never knew the Misfits when I was a kid aside from Metallica wearing their shirts, and their covers on Garage Days.
    I saw the video for How the Gods Kill and thought, huh, this is not at all what I was expecting. Interesting stuff.

I kind of like that he has continued to do what he does all this time, through thick and thin, though not much of it has resonated with me. The way he does the content/image thing, it doesn't come off as theatrical act to me. It just fits, I guess. I also like that he's used the services of Tommy Victor, from one of my favorite bands, Prong. I know that many Danzig old-schoolers don't appreciate Tommy's approach to parts first laid down by John Christ, et al.

16. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

In th early 90's I was with five of my friends going to a bar in Manhattan Beach CA on a Thursday Night. While getting drinks, my friend Ryan noticed that Glenn Danzig at the bar, talking to the bartender.

Another friend (the wild one) Todd, didn't believe him, and walked over to him to ask. "Excuse me, are you Glenn Danzig?". As we came over to apologize, he said " No, It's OK, yes I am". Then, Todd asked him to quote the first line of "How Gods Kill", and surprisingly he did it! (Very Cool!)

Todd's mouth fell open, and Todd turned into full on fanboy, and just started asking questions. Well, I apologized again, for Todd, and bought Danzig a drink for his trouble. He answered all the questions the groups of us asked him, till he finished drink (about 10 minutes).

Me not being a metalhead, the answers to my questions were, he had just got a house in the area, and getting a new deck.

When he left, he shook all are hands, Glenn was a nice guys, very creative, not that dark, but, was dressed in black.:winkgrin:

This is the best part of living in the L.A. area.:wave:

Bananas&blow likes this.
  17. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I hear you. LOVE the Stooges. Dark is ok. But, I just can't get past some of the topics. Don't get me wrong - I dig Sabbath, Iron Maiden...

Some bands just cross a line...for me. :cheers:

Greenalishi likes this.
  18. motorcitydave

Ok, no problem. I see your point. I take it you're not into stuff like 'Morbid Angel,' 'Deicide,' and 'Mercyful Fate' as well. Which is fine! :cool:

Greenalishi likes this.
  19. motorcitydave

Don't forget the 'Thrall" EP (which came out between III and 4p). There's pretty good stuff on there. And then there's 'Lost Tracks,' also very good.

Greenalishi likes this.
  20. Ten Years Gone

Ten Years Gone Forum Resident

The Lost Tracks collection is surprisingly solid. I was pleasantly surprised with that one.

dennis1077 likes this.
  21. nodeerforamonth

Based on stories of people meeting him, I may try to meet him at the Comic Con in 2 weeks. I dunno though... had the chance many times, but it didn't seem like he wanted to talk to anyone.

22. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

3 has always been my favorite. The band sounded tight, the arrangements were more interesting, and the lyrics were more well written.

Just listen to the title track, "How The Gods Kill" for all the power of his voice and his band.

Deth Red Sabbaoth is a great album. A really unexpected turn for the better, though 6,7, & 8 all have some great songs, the performances leave a bit to be desired. 5 is just plain awful, but in a great way if you get really into Danzig.

Samhain is well worth seeking out, too, though their stuff sadly seems to be out of print yet again. It has all of the mature darkness of Danzig and all of the energy and some of the violence of the Misfits.

ifihadafish likes this.
  23. bob338

bob338 Forum Resident

24. Doorbell

Doorbell Member

I guess the guy who punched Danzig is going to release a book of hate letters he received after the Danzig incident.

25. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Danzig's cool! He also digs cats, a big plus in my book! I definitely should say what's up to him at the San Diego Comic Con in a couple of weeks