Go-Betweens fans: What are the best cd versions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Any Go-Betweens fans out there? There must be. These guys are too incredible not to be well loved on this forum. Anyway, what are the best sounding cd versions out there? How do the new Beggar's Banquet remasters stack up??

2. VUDSM

VUDSM Senior Member

Prix,

Yes, I'm a big Go-Betweens fan and have 5 of their albums, but, only on vinyl. I've never bothered to pick up any of the Cd's because the vinyl Lp's sound great. Not much use to you I'm afraid.

My favorite GB album is actually "Tallulah" which a lot of GB fans rate as their poorest. Not sure why.

3. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

The most recent reissues have lots and lots of extra material on bonus discs. 16 Lovers Lane will be out shortly. I love "Tallulah," too, so you're not alone!

4. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

Another Go-B fan here. I haven't done comparisons between releases, but I very much like the sound of the original 1988 CD of 16 Lovers Lane. Very smooth and natural sounding to my ears. I also have the Rough Trade CD of Before Hollywood, which sounds very good as well.

I have 3 of the 96 Beggars Banquet CDs -- Spring Hill Fair, Liberty Bell, and Tallulah. They're a bit bright, and certainly not as smooth sounding as my 80s 16 LL disc, but I haven't listened to them on a good system for a while, so I'll refrain from saying anything definitive. Maybe I'll try to give a listen over the weekend. I wish I still had my 80s CD of Tallulah for comparison.

I haven't heard any of the recent remasters with the bonus disks. However, I do remember seeing on All-Music that the remastering engineer is credited with noise reduction, so that's a potential concern. (Come to think of it, it's possible that there's some noise reduction on the 96 single-disc versions; I'll have to check that out.)

5. audio

16 Lovers Lane just came out!

6. audio

Thanks for the info. Let us know what you find out.

7. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

:thumbsup: Great! Any bonus tracks on this one???

8. audio

I'm sure there are, but I don't have this disc yet. I only just read about it in a mailing list/new release thingy that I got yesterday.

9. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

No mention of noise reduction on the 96 discs. The remastering engineer is John Dent, the same guy who's credited on All-Music for "Digital Remastering, Analog Transfer, Noise Reduction" on the latest round of 2-CD remasters.

I listened to Tallulah last night on headphones and while it is indeed brighter/more brittle than I would like, it's not awful by any means. Still, my 1988 CD of 16 Lovers Lane is more pleasant from a sonic standpoint, and if I ever again stumble across a copy of the 80s version of Tallulah or Liberty Belle I'll no doubt grab it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.