God Save Sex Pistols - RSD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by punkmusick, Apr 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

Did anyone buy God Save Sex Pistols LP that was released today in Record Store Day? I ordered one but it will take some time to get to Brazil.
    I wonder about the versions of the songs. Seems like it would be the alternative takes that were released in 2012 in the Never Mind the Bollocks Super Deluxe box set and in the Alternative Takes 7"s from 2014, but these releases don't have an alternative take to Anarchy in the UK. Maybe God Save Sex Pistols has the original version, maybe it's the rejected version that came in Sex Box - in this case it would be the first time we have that take in vinyl.

2. berlinerpunk

berlinerpunk Record Collector

I am curious to hear your thoughts when you get it. I can't buy anymore Sex Pistols records, too many passed through my hands

The Pinhead and punkmusick like this.
  3. punkmusick

Actually Anarchy from the Alternative Takes 7"s is the rejected version enhanced, so I was wrong, we already have that on vinyl.

4. punkmusick

It finally arrived. Same versions as the 2012 remastered, nothing new.

5. berlinerpunk

berlinerpunk Record Collector

Thank you for posting!

punkmusick likes this.
  6. Pharz

Pharz Forum Resident

Thank you Folloni. I couldn't hear any difference either.

Another idea would be to release the NMTB studio sessions with Sid on bass, they're available in excellent quality. Even though the playing is mainly terrible, it's a fun listen. They should have been part of the 1977 box set.

lordcat and punkmusick like this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

What tracks did they record with Sid?

8. punkmusick

As long as I know only Bodies demo version that came out in the CD2 of the Super Deluxe Box in 2012.

DTK likes this.
  9. Pharz

Pharz Forum Resident

I'll need to dig through my hard drives, but I think it's 5-7 tracks recorded with Sid (no overdubbed Steve Jones bass, no Matlock bass, just Sid) , where he plays pretty well on Bodies (which is still on NMTB) and on EMI (comparing, some of his playing on EMI definitely sounds like its featured on NMTB as well, despite what SJ claims), but on e.g. Submission it’s very obvious why Steve re-recorded all his parts, as Sid was struggling even with keeping basic time. IIRC the other tracks were Satellite, Liar and a few others. I'd be happy to share them - PM.

I don't believe the Sex Pistols ever recorded Belsen Was A Gas in 1977, at least definitely not in the 2 versions that it was released in the singles box set, which firmly believe were put together afterwards for several reasons outlined elsewhere on this forum. Perhaps Boogie is still sitting on an actual recording.

Speaking of unreleased or not properly released SP materials, I'd love to see a proper release of The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle, remastered, and with all the leftover bits features, e.g.

Here We Go Again (all three versions)
    Silly Thing (all three versions)
    Lonely Boy (with extended ending from the Australian LP version)
    Black Leather (from the Sex Pack and Japanese "The Very Best of..." album, only one version exists)
    Who Killed Bambi? (single version, different vocals)
    God Save The Queen Symphony (instrumental single version)
    Pistols Propaganda
    The German LP version of No One Is Innocent
    and the remaining bits from the '76 sessions, like the brief Thru My Eyes and Woodstock Baby, just to make it complete.

And speaking of Boogie, I still can’t figure out why Chinese Rocks from Huddersfield has never been released, considering how thoroughly they have milked everything else through the years…

Or why no one has released the full Grape Tapes (four gigs with Sid from Max's Kansas City) yet, the only releases being partial and sometimes ruined by overdubs, like e.g. Steve Dior's horribly botched Sid's Way, where he ruined the original recordings which sadly sound brilliant:

Sid Vicious - Sid Lives - Amazon.com Music

And while they're at it, and now that those awful Jimmy Pursey Sham Pistols tracks have been released, why not release the rehearsals with Eddie Tudorpole? I'm sure they taped them, if they still exist is another matter entirely considering Steve Jones' state at the time...

10. punkmusick

Pharz, I will surely PM you as I would really like to have these versions. By the songs you mentioned I wondered if those would be the versions released in that "Pretty Vacant" cds that came out in 1992 and then reproduced in Sex Box ten year later. Only Bodies would be missing. I'm just listening to them right now and bass lines seems just perfect except for Sub-Mission (demo #2) where I can hear a few mistakes. Is it Sid in these recordings? By the way, Bodies in the 35th anniversary box seems like perfect bass to me as well.

About Belsen yes I read something here in this forum. People pointed the lyrics if I remember well to say it must be recorded years after 1977. I'll look for that thread to check it out.

About the list of songs, I believe there are only two versions of Here We Go Again, the version of the single with Black Leather (also on The Very Best...) and the version that came out in The Swindle Continues (the same that appears in We've Cum For Your Children).

Yes it is strange that Chinese Rocks have never surfaced while Born to Lose is available.

About Sid's songs, I never heard that "Sid Lives" cd, so I don't know what Steve Dior did to the recordings.

And finally about the rehearsals, I would love to hear them, Eddie is a very talented musician.

11. Pharz

Pharz Forum Resident

Trust me, the difference with just Sid on bass is very noticeable - there is no doubt it's him, even when he plays relatively well. You'll see what I mean when you hear it.

I can't find my own comment, but it's there somewhere. Basically, Lydon uses lyrics that he only came up with for the Crystal Palace gig, which were never used before, whether for PiL or Pistols, and the vocals have so much effects on them it could well be recorded recently. Also, it doesn't sound anything like any other SP demo recording whatsoever.

On 21 November 1980, the final "new" studio recordings attributed to the Sex Pistols were released by Virgin: "Black Leather" and "Here We Go Again", recorded by Jones and Cook during the mid-1978 Swindle sessions, were paired as one of a half-dozen 7-inch records (the other five reconfiguring previously released material) sold together as Sex Pack. "Black Leather" and "Here We Go Again" were also featured on the Japanese release "The Very Best Of Sex Pistols" in 1980. These were the last recordings to be released under the Sex Pistols name.

** Two other versions of "Here We Go Again" also exist, featured on the Dave Goodman releases "We Have Cum For Your Children" and "The Swindle Continues", respectively. "The Swindle Continues" also features a different version of "Silly Thing", bringing the number of available versions of this track up to three, since the version on "The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle" is a different version than on the single, and has Paul Cook on vocals. No other Sex Pistols version of "Black Leather" has surfaced.

Agreed... perhaps some publishing issue?

He cleared up the recordings, but he also added a second guitar on all tracks (and perhaps "filled in" other stuff as well). It's a real shame, as these are the most complete recordings of this gigs AFAIK.

Agreed - it would also be fun to hear a recording from one of the occasions (roughly at the same time I believe) when Steve Jones played live with Eddie, guesting on stage.

12. punkmusick

I still think that those two versions are the same. Only different eq but surely the same take. Maybe a little different overdub by Dave somewhere in the song?

13. Blueshirt

Blueshirt Forum Resident

Dave Goodman overdub something? Surely not. I can't believe he'd do something like that!

FWIW, I think they are they same version too, just mixed differently... or whatever.

14. Pharz

Pharz Forum Resident

Ona closer listen, you're absolutely correct - these are the same versions, only the "We have Cum For Your Children" (what ***** came up with that title...) has much better sound quality. The tape drop outs starting at around 3.03 confirms this is the exact same take and mix, only with muffled sound on "The Swindle Continues". I'm not hearing any different overdubs, just more clarity on the former issue.

Again, that's correct... I was mistaken. (And of course Dave Goodman would never have done anything without total honesty and respect for artistic integrity, especially not tampering with Sex Pistols recordings - the thought boggles the mind :-D )

Lost In The Flood and punkmusick like this.
  15. punkmusick

Yes! And if he did he would say that clearly in the liner notes so no one would be confused!

16. Pharz

Pharz Forum Resident

Exactly! That's what's so great about all the Dave Goodman releases: perfect information, and never anything but the best quality!

17. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Pharz the grape tapes couldn't be issued because Sid's estate greedy lawyers warned they would seize them from anyone who tried and sue them. They even asked anyone speaking of hearing those to give away to them the masters, or else, sending law threatening emails...
    It's not a relaxed atmosphere to try to get those out for historical reasons.
    Sid sadly, was and remains a mess.

Silly Thing by Goodman is just his mixed tape with some chorus added in overdubbed.

Pharz and punkmusick like this.
  18. Pharz

Pharz Forum Resident

Gosh, I didn't know that. That makes me even happier to have the Grape tapes!

QUOTE="seventeen, post: 19193356, member: 8295"] Silly Thing by Goodman is just his mixed tape with some chorus added in overdubbed.[/QUOTE]

It's impressive the extent to which Goodman was able to make life for Sex Pistols collectors miserable with his polluted, haphazard and doctored releases.

19. punkmusick

Excuse me, what are the grape tapes?

20. Pharz

Pharz Forum Resident

The Grape tapes are four shows by Sid Vicious & friends recorded at Max's Kansas City in NYC in 1978 by a bootleg taper known as "the Grape".

punkmusick likes this.
  21. punkmusick

I just realized you had told this before in Sid's thread and I even liked your post back then.

Pharz likes this.
  22. Pharz

Pharz Forum Resident

Interestingly, I've heard from a very reliable source that recordings exist of the Max's shows that are superior to the Grape Tapes. There's also good quality video of several songs, with great audio. Whether these will ever be released is another matter entirely though – as you point out it appears that anything to do with Sid is a minefield...

punkmusick and Dave Decadent like this.
  23. Pharz

Pharz Forum Resident

Just out — at least parts of the video referred to above will be included in the upcoming "The Final Curtain" film.

punkmusick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.