Godzilla 2014.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amonjamesduul, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helter

helter Forum Resident

Just got home
    The 2:15pm showing was sold out if that any indication of box office this weekend
    Too cold for swimming for the holiday
    I thought the movie was fun.
    The point of view filming might even get nominated for an Oscar
    Those expecting Citizen Kane ?:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    Emperor5353, quadjoe and jriems like this.
  2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Before he used his atomic breath, I thought it was going to be a homage to the King Kong vs. the Allosaurus scene. Either way, that was an awesome scene.

3. You seriously question the thought process behind a giant monster's methods of attack?

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think Scope should use this scene in a commercial about bad breath.

Call me crazy, I just want the movie to make sense. I understand giant monsters destroying cities and killing people. I don't understand a "good" monster who mostly ignores the city and just fights and kills two rival monsters, then peacefully leaves.

The one thing I would've added would've been for Godzilla to stop halfway to the Golden Gate Bridge, turn and wave, and say "see ya in the sequel!"
    :shtiphat:

5. Not sure how you don't get a rather simple concept - Godzilla is enemies with the mutos. They were procreating which would have meant their offspring - of which there would have been hundreds - would have attacked Godzilla. Godzilla killed the mutos to stop this chain of events from happening. Afterwards he went back from where he came, the sea.

Based on all of your negative comments prior to the release of this film I'm really surprised you wasted your time and money seeing it.

Umbari, jriems and Scott Wheeler like this.
  6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

That's how pretty much every Godzilla film that he doesn't get killed in ends. He's done his job and now he's going home. Don't bother to send him the bill.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

So I must have missed it what did Godzilla do that made you think he was "good?" and what did the MUTO do that made you think they were "evil?"

Umbari and Shawn like this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Just my impression from watching the movie. Godzilla also got more heroic music.

Note that I seem to recall the crowd cheering as Godzilla walked away. In the film's publicity materials, it says: "In the aftermath, Ford is reunited with his wife and son. Godzilla, now hailed as the 'King of the Monsters' and 'The City's Savior' by the media, unexpectedly awakens and delivers one last mighty roar before returning to the sea."

I'd say "Savior" is pretty much interchangeable with "good," and the filmmakers clearly positioned Godzilla as the hero of the movie -- far more than the human characters, who did nothing to effectively stop the monsters. I think it would've been much more realistic for Godzilla to just tear the place up indiscriminately, but it was clear he only wanted to destroy the rival monsters and more or less leave everything else alone, then go back to his subterranean slumber.

9. DreadPikathulhu

It's a movie about giant monsters that eat nuclear bombs and barf fire and you're asking for it to be more realistic?

10. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I think it was mentioned by one of the scienticians in the moofie that Godzilla seeks out the beasties to "restore balance". Think of Godzilla as the alpha predator who goes where he wants, neutralizing any perceived threats, not giving much thought to anything else that happens to be around when the fighting starts, then buggering off whence he came. It may even be some kind of thinly-disguised allegory.

--Geoff

Aggie87 likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Or... it could be stupid. I vote for the latter.

12. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I saw Godzilla last night, and I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit. No, it's not great art, but it was fun. I know that's not the consensus here, but I don't go to monster movies expecting realism or deep plots, I just enjoyed it for what it was. I liked the hero of the film, and the story surrounding his family, and I felt that it returned to the sensibilities of the original Japanese films (don't analyze their plots too closely either, BTW.)

robertawillisjr and Shawn like this.
  13. DreadPikathulhu

But that's been the established character for 50 years. If they go in and try to make it more realistic then they open themselves up for a Man of Steel (or Godzilla 1998) level disaster.

SonOfAlerik likes this.
  14. skybluestoday

skybluestoday Forum Resident

Hehe. I LOVE Carney's. I briefly dated this hottie actress 1996-1997 -- she was a total alcoholic and nine shades of Crazy, but she lived right near the Strip and she introduced me to the basic, soak-it-all-up charms of that place. I love it still.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

My problem was that I felt they were going straight to the sequel, with Rodan and Mothra substitutes coming to fight Godzilla. Wouldn't Godzilla be enough of a monster to start with? Even if the series wants him to be "good" the humans could have misunderstood him and fought with him for one film. Now they have nothing to expand to in a second movie.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. DreadPikathulhu

I think they wanted to avoid comparisons with the 1998 film, plus he did enough damage that I doubt that people will be begging him to come downtown to attend the celebratory parade.

They did try to drive him off, too, with what was going on at the Golden Gate bridge.

17. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I actually got a distinct impression that they were treating the film as a sort of sequel to the 1954 film.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  18. I love Citizen Kane. But the average person hates Citizen Kane

19. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

True.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The 1998 Godzilla was much, much, much stupider.

Mazzy likes this.
  21. DreadPikathulhu

But we understand Zilla's motivation in that one.... He wants someplace to lay his eggs and wants to eat some tuna.

jriems likes this.
  22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've never met anyone who hates Citizen Kane - are we all breathing rarefied air up here?

robertawillisjr likes this.
  23. Your friends are above average

Balthazar likes this.
  24. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Recently rewatched The Sopranos. I'd forgotten about the viewing of Citizen Kane in this episode:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Pack_(The_Sopranos)

Their discussion about the film gives a pretty good indication as to how a number of people see it.

Mazzy likes this.
  25. Emperor5353

Emperor5353 Forum Resident

I grew up watching Godzilla movies on Saturday nights on channel 18 out of Milwaukee, WI. Every since then I have been a huge fan of the genre. Not because they had great stories and stellar acting. I enjoyed them because they spurred my imagination. Just something about the way the buildings fell in those classic movies and those memorable music passages when Godzilla and his enemies would appear on screen. I was hooked!!

I wanted the new Godzilla movie to invoke those same memories and it certainly did that!! I really felt it was a tribute to some of those classics..and many scenes made me cheer and clap like a kid...isn't that what movies should do? Give you a smile and moments where you could be a kid again..and the new Godzilla did that for me multiple times!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.