Godzilla 2014.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amonjamesduul, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I recommend avoiding all three Transformers movies entirely and using the 446 minutes you save to do something that isn't a mind-numbingly stupid waste of time. Take the word of someone who learned the hard way. ;)

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    robertawillisjr and Vidiot like this.
  2. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Nah, I'll wait for it to come out on video.

3. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Ugh, I was worried this was going to happen.

4. helter

helter Forum Resident

5. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I would hope this is a warmup for a new franchise. Not bad, not great, but maybe a chance for the filmakers to figure out how to improve the next one.

There were enough thrilling moments to make me optimistic that it can succeed if they refine their approach. Rodan, anyone? : )

6. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Fairly simple. Get the rights to other Toho monsters, and quadruple the kaiju action.

Then for the 3rd one, 10 monsters. Each one destroying its own city until they converge for a Monster Island Battle Royale.

Yes...I am serious.

four sticks likes this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I liked the first one. Megan Fox = ZOWIE! And I thought the family humor was well done. The father and mother were really good. Michael Bay's pacing was more frantic than any Howard Hawks comedy, but it kinda worked with crazy Shia LeBoeuf in the lead. The 2nd was stupid and offensive. The 3rd had great effects, although I have no memory what the movie was about. :p But if you had be pick the best use of modern digital effects in a movie, I'd have to say the attack of the drill monster on the skyscraper in the 3rd Transformers was probably the most audacious and best use of CGI I've ever seen. The detail of that falling building was just breathtaking on the big screen in 3D. But the movie, as I said, forgettable.

8. Just saw it.

First of all Watanabe looked and acted like he had constipation the entire time. Intestinal pain.

Liked Cranston but not his son although i loved when he played Lennon.

It's a B for me

Happy I sold my house in San Francisco last November. Property values must be down now.

9. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Just saw it. I enjoyed it, killed 2 hours on a Saturday afternoon.

10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I have the impression the actors didn't receive much direction. Like they were looking around to find the director... "That was a take? Really?" At this point in his career, thespian nuance may not be a priority for Gareth Edwards. Perhaps he thought he could just hire really good actors and leave them to their own devices. None of that bothered me except for David Straitharn as Gen Strenz. He looked really unsure, and had terrible lines. At least Watanabe looked consistently pained.

Mazzy likes this.
  11. Agreed. But I had fun and enjoyed it. But the keep ****ing with the Golden Gate Bridge. I'd rather they dump on the Bay Bridge .

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think the most riveting thing to me was the dried spittal on the corner of his mouth that I couldn't take my eyes off of. At least I thought it was spittal. It turned out to be some kind of wart. MAKE UP!!

13. I noticed that too but it was solid. Herpes, cancer , skin abrasion and not spittal.

14. helter

helter Forum Resident

Just drove over the GWB George Washington bridge told my godson it was the godzilla bridge.
    He said no it's not !
    I guess he knows the Golden Gate Bridge

Mazzy likes this.
  15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Finally saw it this weekend.... thought it was awesome!! Really dug it. :righton:

16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It's been mentioned before, but I'd just like to re-iterate how terrible Aaron-Taylor Johnson is.... he has about as much charisma and screen presence as a bag of doorknobs. Truly awful.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Godzilla box office update, as of June 10th:

Domestic: $186,821,483
    Foreign: $208,700,000

Total: $395,521,483

How long do films keep making money? What would you project for the final total?

18. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Saw this today. I never cared much for Godzilla, but thought this was a very well made film. Sure, it's a little Cloverfield and Alien in places, but given it's unbelievable premise, I think they managed to make it almost believable, which is no mean feat. Very enjoyable.

19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Available on DVD & Blu-Ray today!! :)

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Not too shabby, maybe the execs were expecting more?

Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $200,676,069 38.2%
    + Foreign: $324,300,000 61.8%
    = Worldwide: $524,976,069
    Domestic Summary
    Opening Weekend: $93,188,384
    (#1 rank, 3,952 theaters, $23,580 average)
    % of Total Gross: 46.4%

Widest Release: 3,952 theaters
    Close Date: August 28, 2014
    In Release: 105 days / 15 weeks

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Looking back, this movie was honestly pretty boring and forgettable, save for like the final ten minutes when Godzilla fights those other things (when they were actually showing it and not cutting away).

Vidiot and Drifter like this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I didn't like Transformers 3 at all, but I have to say that one scene with the tentacle/drill monster on the skyscraper was really spectacular. If they had just pulled that out as a 30-minute short and left everything else out, I would've been fine with the movie.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, I think Honest Trailers got a lot of it right:

Somebody clocked it and said that Godzilla is only in the movie for 18 minutes, which is kind of a problem... :sigh:

I liked all the stuff with Bryan Cranston, and wish he had actually been the star of the movie all the way to the end. I agree with the sentiment that Aaron Taylor-Johnson was really dull.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea only 18 minutes...it seemed shorter...
    with special guest star: GODZILLA...
    I really, really disliked this movie...too many dark scenes and the heavy metal roaches were annoying and ridiculous...

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I liked the roaches in small doses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.