Godzilla Resurgence

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Apr 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'll be at the theatre for this one! :righton:

Scope J likes this.
  3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I hope this gets US distribution. I think the last Japanese G-film that did so was Godzilla 2000 and I was the only person in the theater.

RK2249 and Scope J like this.
  4. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

My 10 year old can't wait. Hoping it shows in Houston!

Scope J likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I cannot resist Godzilla! LOL...

Scope J likes this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ah, it does my heart good to know that kids still like Godzilla!

Scope J likes this.
  7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I hope we can actually see him in this movie.

Scope J likes this.
  8. balzac

balzac Senior Member

He looks better in the trailer than he did in some early photos and leaked pics.

I like that they tried to change the look up, and I like the glowing and whatnot. I also don't mind the long tail.

But I'm still not a fan of the "raisin" skin texture.

9. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

In the poster above, Godzilla looks like he was a crochet project!

[​IMG]

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'd pay to see a movie that starred Crochet Godzilla!

dkmonroe likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

how creative!

dkmonroe likes this.
  12. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

You could wear these to the theater.
    [​IMG]

razerx, Scope J and Oatsdad like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If I matched those with Hulk Hands, I'd have the ladies all over me! :D

[​IMG]

RK2249, Vinyl Addict and Tree of Life like this.
  14. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Yes, indeed. My two sons, ages 5 and 2, LOVE Godzilla, and are quite familiar with a great many of the Big G's films. They're also big fans of Akira Ifukube's film music!

Scope J likes this.
  15. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

So this movies opened in Japan this week and is apparently the weirdest Godzilla movie ever. The whole biology/mythology of Godzilla really different in this movie however, there *is* a lot of endless scenes of government officials debating politics and how to deal with Godzilla that will likely bore and confuse Westerners (especially without subtitles). But despite the weirdness, the overall tone is VERY dark and accurately reflects the current mood of the Japanese in much the same way the original 1954 movie did.

(Gigantic Spoiler alerts galore below!)
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +

Godzilla starts by out coming out of the ocean as a armless, almost legless several hundred foot long snaking tadpole pushing itself around on it's belly causing grand scale mayhem like a super-sized Hungry Hungry Hippo. It eventually sprouts legs like a turkey dinosaur that walks upright and graphically eats people, and eventually grows to the big Godzilla with the funny little upturned arms like he's either got arthritis or is commenting on someone's rack ("those boobies are *this* big!"). Also, Godzilla doesn't really have the traditional radioactive breath - he shoots a purple laser beam outta his mouth... and from the tip of his tail... and the ends of his fins... like a giant glitter disco ball. It gets better. Supposedly near the end of the movie, the people he ate through the movie are shown trapped like in amber in the end of his tail as mutated humanoid Godzillas. There's some definite similarities to the movie "Godzilla vs Destroyah" to how Godzilla is dealt with (he's frozen and remains a living corpse in the center of Tokyo). Here's some spoilery pictures:

Tadpole Godzilla
    [​IMG]

Turkey Godzilla
    [​IMG]

Not Fully Formed Godzilla
    [​IMG]

Laserblast Tail Zapping Godzilla

[​IMG]

Discoballzilla
    [​IMG]

RK2249 and The Hud like this.
  16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Looks like they are not using the Godzillasaurus part of his evolution. Too bad, I like Godzillasaurus, but this looks cool, too.

17. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

He's so misunderstood. Maybe he just wants to be friends.

18. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

This post kinda confirms the fears I had when I first saw pics of the big G, as well as the first couple of trailers for this film. I understand making changes, and feeling like you don't want to repeat yourself and/or wanting to put your own creative stamp on the picture. But this has the strong feeling of trying too hard to be different, and getting too far away from what makes Godzilla awesome in the first place.

During the 6 films of the Millennium series (which most know really wasn't a series at all; only two of the films had any continuity - the two with MechaGodzilla), Godzilla's look changed from previous designs, but was still unmistakably "Godzilla". When I saw this Godzilla it just felt like they were going too far out of their way to make him look different. And these comments on his origin and development support the idea that they were bound and determined to differentiate themselves from prior Godzilla movies.

Anyway, I'm certainly not going to be foolish enough to make any broad proclamations without having seen the film. If I'm wrong and the film kicks ass and offers some neat twists on the Godzilla mythos, I'll be the first to say so (and be glad my initial suspicions were wrong). But I have a bit of a bad feeling about this...

CrazyCatz likes this.
  19. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

As long as he trashes Tokyo, he's the same Godzilla.
    There's just something about Tokyo that he just can't abide.

RK2249 likes this.
  20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

He wades through the buildings to the center of town.

RK2249 and The Hud like this.
  21. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Well, it is directed by Hideaki Anno, who is known for Neon Genesis Evangelion, an anime filled with a loads of symbolism, surrealism and emotionally draining material. And from what I hear, Shin Godzilla has a lot of his trademarks, though of course, it's going to be more mainstream friendly.

I have faith in Hideaki Anno and have always preferred a more serious Godzilla film.

22. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

It will be better than Godzilla vs. Ferris Bueller!

CrazyCatz and Gumboo like this.
  23. frozen-beach

A lot of the footage I've seen of this film has succeeded in sending shivers down my spine.

24. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

25. frozen-beach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.