Gog (3-D) (1954) [Blu-ray] -Bob Furmanek's next Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Larry Mc, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude Thread Starter

I'm loving these newly restored movies that our forum member is releasing. You know they are being done by someone that loves old 3D movies as much as we fans do, so they are getting much care.

[​IMG]

This title will be released on March 1, 2016.

2. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident

Thank you, Larry.

The restoration on this one was in some ways our most challenging. The only surviving 35mm left element is totally faded. Greg Kintz worked miracles and it looks absolutely amazing in the new 3-D master. We will have a restoration demo on the disc.

Here's the original trailer:

3. Larry Mc

Looks cool to me

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Bob, that amazing day that I saw GOG projected in 3D at the Egyptian. John Landis was on my right and Leonard Maltin on my left and we were all so jazzed to be watching this in 3D along with Catwomen On The Moon, etc. A great day.

Good luck with the release! If it wasn't for you this title (and many others) would be lost forever in true 3D.

GuildX700, Simon A and Bob Furmanek like this.
  5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

So awesome!!!:cool:

6. Larry Mc

I was starting to think either no one reads this post or they are not a fan.
    These movies are really cool!!! :)

Pizza likes this.
  7. Pizza

These are the greatest! The Creature from the Black Lagoon is my favorite fifties monster movie and looks amazing in 3D. Gog is a must have. There's a couple of others I need to grab like The Maze. My wife got me 3D Rarities for Christmas. Loved it. :righton:

Bob Furmanek and Larry Mc like this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Bob,

Thank you for the work on the 3D Rarities title, enjoyed all the material on it!

Hope to pick up more titles from your wonderful work soon.

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  9. Larry Mc

Here is another of Bobs movies.

Kiss Me Kate 3-D Blu-ray Review

by Bob Furmanek

[​IMG]
    Here is a classic MGM musical and another outstanding restoration - in 4K from the 35mm Ansco Color camera negatives - by Ned Price and his team at Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging. In fact, it’s their best restoration work on a 3-D film to date. The vertical alignment and left/right panel matching is spot on.
    George Sidney had a great understanding of stereoscopic composition and the excellent cinematography by Charles Rosher – properly matted for widescreen - has never looked better. My only quibble is that some of the medium shots are a wee bit tight and it would have benefited from mastering in MGM’s recommended aspect ratio of 1.75:1.
    This was the only “Golden Age” 3-D feature to have a sequence with gimmick shots physically cut into the Technicolor prints for 3-D bookings in 1953. That rare footage has now been properly restored at the beginning of “The Taming of the Shrew.” And kudos to WB for leaving the original Intermission card in place.
    Many people saw KISS ME KATE in 3-D and widescreen over sixty years ago and now is your chance to have the same experience in superb quality at home. This wonderful 3-D Blu-ray belongs in every collection!

[​IMG]

10. Pizza

Great movie and disc!

Larry Mc likes this.
  11. Bob Furmanek

GOG is the first studio-licensed feature restoration to be released on Blu-ray from the 3-D Film Archive. It was certainly our most challenging restoration to date. The region A 3-D Blu-ray will be released on March 1, 2016 by Kino Lorber.

This 1954 MGM/United Artists feature was lost in 3-D for nearly five decades. We have just completed a shot by shot restoration using the only existing elements: a 35mm interpositive of the right side and a completely faded 1954 Pathe color release print of the left. This restoration clip shows before and after comparisons of the raw scans to our final restored left/right masters.

Every individual shot required six levels of painstaking correction by Archive Technical Director Greg Kintz. They include stereoscopic vertical alignment; color restoration; left/right panel matching; image stabilization; left side flicker reduction/detail restoration and dirt/damage clean-up by Thad Komorowski. http://www.thadkomorowski.com/portfolio/digital-restoration/

GOG was beautifully photographed by Lothrop B. Worth with the Natural Vision camera, the same rig used on such 3-D classics as HOUSE OF WAX, THE CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER, BWANA DEVIL, and the now lost TOP BANANA with Phil Silvers. http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/lost-3-d

GOG was released very late in the 3-D cycle and had only five known 3-D playdates, all in southern California in June and July of 1954: Los Angeles, Hollywood, Van Nuys and two theaters in Bakersfield. The Blu-ray marks the first wide 3-D release.

It was sold by United Artists to TV syndication in September 1956 and was only seen in murky, flat, black and white full frame 16mm prints for the next several decades. The first TV broadcast in color was on WTBS cable in the early 1980's and was transferred from a worn and washed-out 16mm print.

GOG was lost in 3-D until the missing 35mm left side was found by Bob Furmanek in 2001. The full story of this important discovery is told in the commentary track which also includes production history from science-fiction/horror historian Tom Weaver and music expert David Schecter from Monstrous Movie Music: http://www.mmmrecordings.com/index.html

The disc includes trailers for other 3-D Film Archive restorations, a production short on the history of GOG and its restoration plus archival interviews with GOG director Herbert L. Strock and DP/Natural Vision co-creator Lothrop B. Worth.

Larry Mc and Pizza like this.
  12. Pizza

I can not wait!!!

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  13. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Scared me as a kid...nightmares

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  14. Bob Furmanek

The opening scenes in the cryogenics lab are genuinely frightening!

Simon A and Pizza like this.
  15. Bob Furmanek

16. Pizza

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Bob, we wish you success with this release! You are the 3D King.

Robert C, Simon A, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  18. Larry Mc

Pizza likes this.
  19. Bob Furmanek

Thanks but Warner Bros. deserve all the credit for that restoration!

Simon A likes this.
  20. Larry Mc

I just took it for granted that you did that, I'm embarrassed, I hope i didn't insult you.:oops:

21. Bob Furmanek

It's all good!

22. My first question--is this a fairly good movie? I have heard things and wanted to see if over the years but always managed to miss this.

Second question-is home video 3D a good representation of the theatrical version or do I really need to see this in a revival house?

23. Bob Furmanek

Yes, it's a good film.

And yes, the home video 3D on a good display is comparable to the theatrical experience. Quite honestly, the chance of this playing a revival house is slim.

24. Bob Furmanek

Larry Mc likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Nice page, Bob. Restoration looks beautiful.

Quite exciting, count on the MGM/UA archive to hold (probably by neglect) a lot of good stuff. Jeff J. and I found a lot of Around The World In 80 Days elements there even though the rights were held by WB. Stuff hadn't been touched since 1968.

At any rate, GOG was shown on (Channel 9) TV here in LA probably once a month in the 1960s and I saw it every time. It was a scary film for me, looking forward to seeing it again.

Bob, when you screened this in 2003 at the Egyptian I assumed you projected a dupe of both eyes, correct? Wasn't the producer (or was it director) of GOG there as well?

Bob Furmanek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.