Going Back to Buying CDs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Time Is On My Side, Oct 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident Thread Starter

Let me preface this by saying that I was born in '87 when CDs and cassettes were primarily the only way to listen to music at home (other than the radio). CD-Rs came out along with downloads and it changed everything.

I bought music off of iTunes over the years probably beginning in senior year of high school (2005) and ever since then have been upgrading my playback gear and speakers and, yes, 256k MP3 or 256k AAC does sound acceptable, but I want something future proof and "reference." Over the past few years I have gotten away from iTunes and have been buying off of 7Digital.

Long story short, I ran into some kind of error message on 7Digital and opened a trouble ticket. One week later I have gotten ZERO response from 7Digital. So I went on eBay to buy a CD of what I was trying to get on 7Digital. I got the CD for ~$6 with cheap shipping whereas the entire FLAC 16/44.1 album on 7Digital is $15 or something.

I just can't believe how cheap a CD costs on eBay barely used. You can get these for almost half the price of the FLAC albums, and a few dollars cheaper than on iTunes. And your CDs are always accessible and don't throw error messages when you try to listen to them.

I like vinyl and have a whole bunch of vinyl albums too, but I can't bring myself to spend that much on something I'll only listen to at home once in awhile.

Anyone else feel the same way?

tmtomh, bluesbro, CrazyCatz and 21 others like this.
  2. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I never stopped, but yeah.

3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Yes.

I'm 50 and vinyl has absolutely no romance for me. It's a high maintenance format and because I listen to a lot of symphonic/operatic music, the side-breaks are an annoyance. The CD format has been an indiluted blessing as far as I'm concerned!

Sajomo, Bungo, augustwest and 31 others like this.
  4. Time Is On My Side

I don't want this to become a vinyl vs CD debate. What I'm saying is I can't believe how cheap almost NIB CDs can be gotten secondhand and are far more reliable than downloads. And I'm kind of ticked that I paid money for a download and can't even use it now.

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I'm a physical media only guy. So yeah, I get it.
    All of my gear is set up for it, no mp's/streaming here.
    CD's in the auto.
    Vinyl, and occasionally, SACD/DVD-A at the house.

Manimal, c-eling, YpsiGypsy and 9 others like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

never stopped collecting CDs...so versatile those things are...

7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Downloads are rip-offs. No physical product=you don't own it.

lance b, Manimal, Johnny Reb and 12 others like this.
  8. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Yes absolutely. Digital downloads should be considerably cheaper than the equivalent CD, because manufacturing and distribution costs are much lower. On top of that you get the lower quality version (assuming MP3). And I prefer a physical object instead of a virtual file, even though logically that might not make sense because the information is the same. One reason is that you can resell CDs, but not files, the rest is nostalgia. So if the CD is cheaper it suits me fine, I prefer it anyway. But it boggles the mind why downloads should be priced the same and why anyone is willing to pay that much for them if they can have the same thing for less.

lance b, mds and ls35a like this.
  9. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Nothing wrong with buying CD's. It's unfortunate that there so many albums that are only on digital downloads that will never be on any physical medium.

Eleanora's Alchemy and PhilBiker like this.
  10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I buy CDs (mostly used) and I will continue to buy them. I also buy LPs but usually only the albums that specifically appeal to me and are available from sources like MOFI; 45 rpm especially. I just bought a new CD player, CD is far from dead.

PhilBiker and smokey545 like this.
  11. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Even brand new CD's are dirt cheap. Amazon is a great source for all formats new and used. No, I don't work for them. I just seem to do all of my shopping these days on Ebay for used audio equipment and Amazon for music.

12. Time Is On My Side

Amazon's prices are too high for me. Every other CD I try to buy charges me $5 in shipping and then once in a great while you can't even buy it because it's an "Add-on Item." eBay or Half-Price Books for me.

PhilBiker likes this.
  13. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Thrift stores!!!

14. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

The sound on a CD is "mint" unless there is serious damage. Doesn't matter how used it is. There is no wear from normal use.

lance b, Manimal, Johnny Reb and 9 others like this.
  15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Yep, been buyin' up stacks of CDs for 69¢ to $1.39 for a few months now. Hundreds of 'em.

Not all stuff I'd pay $5 or more for, but these bargains have enabled me to expand my musical horizons.

16. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Like what?

17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Like 3/4 of Bandcamp for starters.

18. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Sometimes I do. I'm 35, digital files don't interest me like they used to when I thought it was awesome to have a jukebox in your pocket. I only use an iPod while I do yardwork or workout.

Also, I really like CDs. If you have a really good player, it sounds so good. You can also plug some good headphones into it and it's a great experience, too.

I like vinyl, but I typically only buy it for bands I consider to be my favorites. Even some of my favorite I won't go for, the CD is enough, mainly because it's cheaper and I know i will listen to it more. In 2013 I weeded out some of the CDs I wasn't listening to anymore. The return wasn't very much, but it cleared some out.

Karnak likes this.
  19. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

Yea, I've downloaded lots of great stuff from bandcamp that would cost a small fortune on CD or vinyl, sometimes it's the only way that makes sense. And the money goes almost straight to the artists too.

PhilBiker and Synthfreek like this.
  20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

There's room for every format, but $15 is too much for an 16/44.1 FLAC album ($15 even puts me off hi-res FLAC files, although it's more like £18 here in the UK).

21. KevinM

KevinM Well-Known Member

Been combing the used CD market over the past couple of years. Got frustrated with good looking used vinyl only to get it home to serious clicks and pops when played. Used vinyl is going for premium prices for less than stellar quality.

Mike from NYC and JimmyCool like this.
  22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Tried to get into "Hi Res" DSD downloads but the selection is very limited. MP3 downloads do not sound very good. Purchasing the CD of a title and ripping it to an uncompressed FLAC file has awesome sound quality especially with an upscaling DAC. Quite reasonable too, especially used CDs of which the market is well stocked!

23. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Fair enough, although a good amount of what's on there probably wouldn't get picked by a label anyway. Which is a good thing -- it's great that there's an alternative to labels (of all sizes), regardless of a band's appeal. At the same time, and for better or worse, a decent percentage of that stuff isn't widely known, so the average music fan doesn't know they're missing if it isn't available on CD or vinyl.

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

My primary music buying is still CDs. I buy some of them used, but new CDs are cheap enough. I have yet to buy any downloads.

Mike from NYC, Michael, mds and 4 others like this.
  25. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The pricing for many 16/44.1 lossless downloads are more than the cost of the same album and mastering on a used, or even new, CD. I've been buying the CD when the CD costs less. I also sometimes buy the CD instead of the download even if the CD costs a little more, especially for indies and smaller labels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.