Going from Spotify Premium to Tidal Hi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phono Groove, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have both services, I'm not using Spotify right now, due to it not being on the streaming box that I'm currently using. I totally agree they both can sound excellent to me, all depending on what is playing.

Some things don't sound very good, but that is not anything different than DVD's and Records, which, some are good or even great, while other's are lackluster, or even outright suck.

When music is recorded and mastered properly, they can all sound amazingly good on almost any medium.

When I compare the right recordings on both Pandora One and Spotify to CD's DVD's, they all sound good.

PATB and rebellovw like this.
  2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Absolutely.

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

If they are streaming FLAC files the sound should be essentially the same at the lower Kbps figures as a WAV or AIFF file which are full 1411 Kbps. Some may like to argue that point but I personally have never heard a difference between non-compressed WAV or AIFF files and compressed lossless FLAC and ALAC.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Here we go again...

WAVs and FLACs null out dead silent on null tests. Several members have done them in the past and reported those results. Therefore, 16/44.1 FLAC files ARE CD QUALITY. And, FLAC files with higher bit depths/sample rates are, therefore, HIGHER THAN CD QUALITY.

5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm not sure where you think we disagree other than I made no reference to higher resolution and was addressing CD resolution in my post.

6. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'm sorry, @mwheelerk ...I thought I inserted the correct quote. The one I intended to aim my "Here we go again..." at is the following...

So now I'll repeat my opinion to the above @Agitater quote:

WAVs and FLACs null out dead silent on null tests. Several members have done them in the past and reported those results. Therefore, 16/44.1 FLAC files ARE CD QUALITY. And, FLAC files with higher bit depths/sample rates are, therefore, HIGHER THAN CD QUALITY.

7. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Not sure what point you're making.

I was assessing streaming MP3 files and streaming FLAC files from various services and Internet radio sources. Never mentioned WAV files at all.

I've got nothing against WAV files. It's a fine format. Nothing to do with this streaming services discussion though.

8. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

So I just got a LG V30 and do quite a bit of listening on my phone when im at school. I can get a membership to tidal hifi for $10 a month and I'm trying to decide if I should get that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.