Going to NYC and buy LPs

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by fricadelle, May 4, 2018.

1. fricadelle

fricadelle Member Thread Starter

Hello

I am from Europe (France) and going to NYC in a couple of days and was wondering if there were any great places to buy LPs over there?

More pragmatically, if you were coming from Europe and were to buy ~10 vinyls in the US what would these be? I'm looking for something that maybe would be rare in Europe due to lack of availability/high prices.

I'm quite fond of rock, blues, funk, soul but I figured that NYC could be a great place to get some Jazz records! I obviously own Kind of Blue, Time Out (maybe not the best copies I'll admit). I have a Nat King Cole and a Wes Montgomery both from Analogue Productions that sound great, and that's pretty much it. Knowing not much in Jazz and being a guitarist what I seem to like for now is Guitar - Vocal duo ala Julie London and Barney Kessel or Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Pass. I like also music that has some kind of latin mood to it. But I'm really open to any suggestions; Remasters, originals I don't really mind.

So thanks in advance for the ideas and the opportunity to broaden my musical spectrum as well as having wonderful souvenirs spinning on my turntable.

2. Bryce

Bryce Forum Resident

My top 3 (in no particular order):

Jazz Record Center - 236 W 26th St #804, New York, NY 10001

Limited To One - 221 E 10th St, New York, NY 10003

Record Grouch - 986 Manhattan Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11222

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

4. fricadelle

fricadelle Member Thread Starter

great suggestions! thanks guys

5. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

went to several in brooklyn, can only remember Human Head but there were a couple others nearby with great selections as well. I think you can't miss in that city

6. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

If you’re going to be in the US for a while, also consider ordering from Acoustic Sounds or its peers and have the purchase shipped to your hotel. Much cheaper than shipping overseas.

7. fluffskul

fluffskul Forum Resident

See LIVE MUSIC and/or Broadway show(s). The best souvenirs are memories!

8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What would you guys recommend for wave/ punk/ rock vinyl? Really liked Academy Records and Record Grouch. Is there more?

9. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Academy is your best bet. Earwax is hit or miss. There was a decent selection at Captured Tracks when I went last fall.

My favorite shop for new wave/punk/post-punk was Permanent Records but they only sell on Discogs now.

Neonbeam likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Thank you!