Golden Earring Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Aug 8, 2020.

1. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

[​IMG]

For me, one of the most overlooked bands of their career. A band that was formed in 1961, and continues with the same line-up since 1970. That's quite a feat. Usually in-band bickering and egos have destroyed bands long before they get up to full speed. These guys must truly have a great bond. From wiki, "The discography of Dutch rock band Golden Earring, which consists of 25 studio albums, 8 live albums, 2 compilation albums, and 74 singles".
    I only heard Golden Earring, like most, when Radar Love hit the air in Canada. Then you couldn't seem to get away from it. It wasn't until I bought Mad Love (aka Contraband) that I really started listening. I really played it to death. Their song structure was intriguing. Soon I was buying the few I could in their back catalog and kept pace with them through the rest of the 70's and 80's.
    Only recently, when MoV started to remaster and reissue their back catalog, did I really get to hear their earlier work, which was mostly unreleased in North America. Their 4 album run of S/T (Wall of Dolls), Seven Tears, Together and Moontan was just excellent and can stand up to most bands of the era. The band was so tight, and the songs were top notch. I can't understand why they never got more recognition earlier on.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  2. vinyl diehard

Current members of Golden Earring are:

Barry Hay (vocals, guitar, flute and saxophone, member since 1968)
    George Kooymans (vocals and guitar, founder of band)
    Rinus Gerritsen (bass and keyboard, founding member)
    Cesar Zuiderwijk (drums and percussion, member since 1970)

Golden Earring was formed in 1961 in The Hague by 13-year-old George Kooymans and his 15-year-old neighbour, Rinus Gerritsen.:eek:

Greenalishi, 2141, RickH and 2 others like this.
  3. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

I saw Golden Earring with Ted Nugent in 1977. From what I can recall, they were excellent.
    My pinball machine plays instrumental parts from Golden Earring's Twilight Zone. Great machine as well:
    [​IMG]

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Their early stuff was pretty easy to find on CD via the European Polydor releases, they remain the best digital options for that part of the catalogue IMO.

5. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

One of my favorites:

6. Brian1958

Brian1958 Forum Resident

This has got to be one of the best "Live" albums of all time! The killer guitar work is right up there with Hunter/Wagner from Lou Reed's "Rock and Roll Animal". I never saw them live, but I had friends who saw them when "Radar Love" came out in the 70's. They talked about that concert for days!

[​IMG]

7. One of my all time favorite bands. You nailed it with the s/t (Wall of Dolls) lp through Moontan as being stellar run of albums.

I think I now own 6 or 7 copies of Seven Tears... She Flies on Strange Wings is a classic.

I’m also fond of their ‘79-82 run that I refer to as their ‘Cheap Trick’ phase. They went back to shorter tighter songs/arrangements and Barry Hay’s voice peaked around this time. Their ‘2nd live’ lp is their ‘Live at Budokan.‘

8. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

Love Rinus' bass work and tone on Bombay!

9. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Not overlooked in their/my own country...
    :cool:

Rukiki, The MEZ, siebrand and 3 others like this.
  10. old school

old school Senior Member

I wish they’d put out a 70s box set just covering that decade with full live concerts rarities and remastered studio albums. Do a box for each decade instead of putting 40 cds that we’re not remastered since the Red Bullet campaign. I passed on the latest box for those reasons.

Slim Zooms and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

They are longer in business as the the Stones.

gitters, The MEZ, Slim Zooms and 2 others like this.
  12. vinyl diehard

And it’s evident they still enjoy playing together! Cesar is killing it!

gitters and Slim Zooms like this.
  13. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Great, great band - one of my favorites. I've got everything they ever released now thanks to the studio albums and live albums box sets.
    Even though they weren't remastered they are the gifts that keep on giving. What a great catalog.
    I saw them a few times back in the 70's and 80's. Always a fantastic show.
    Too bad they don't play over here in the states anymore.

14. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

"Radar Love" is considered by many to be their signature tune, but I've always preferred the incredibly rockin' intensity of "Candy's Going Bad."

Such an amazing track! :righton:

15. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Told this little story here before. As kid I was playing street football at a bit rough way with another kid, living close by.

My mother saw us playing, came to me and whispered to be gentle with him. 'His father is from Golden Earring...'

And my mother is not really into music, but knew something I didn't know yet. :laugh:

ARK, Slim Zooms, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  16. It reminds me a bit of Alice Cooper. Fantastic both live and in the studio

Slim Zooms likes this.
  17. For those who are interested, wolfgangs vault has a free app to stream shows. Golden Earring have 5 or 6 on there... one of which is a live in the studio set @ the Record Plant during their Switch tour.

Also available are live at the Rainbow (two shows) from 73. They’re short but have amazing energy.

18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That one and Vanilla Queen are my favourites from Moontan.

ARK, Motown Syd, Glenn coates and 4 others like this.
  19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

My alll-time favorite GE song is....

20. vinyl diehard

I absolutely love the vibe of this song. One of the things that keep me coming back.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  21. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I listened to the Moontan album just two nights ago. The only version I have is this MOV and I couldn't believe how great it sounded. I give it my highest recommendation!

Here it is on Discogs: Golden Earring - Moontan

22. vinyl diehard

I have it and the original Canadian version. Song listings are different. The MoV uses the European release , which is different from the North American release. Both are great.

klockwerk, Slim Zooms and MisterBritt like this.
  23. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

I'll plug "The Hole" CD mastered by Barry Diament. My copy is U.S. 21 Records (Atco) release, barcode 075679051424. Nice sound.

24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Now I have "Twilight Zone" running through my head! And "When The Lady Smiles." And thinking about Nazareth, and Bachman Turner Overdrive, vaguely similar in having a few big hits and then a lot of decent but not great catalog (though I admit to not a lot of familiarity with the whole Golden Earring oeuvre)

Slim Zooms likes this.
  25. vinyl diehard

Their unplugged series of albums were really done well. After I bought the first I had to get the second release. Haven’t heard the third one yet.

ARK, scotti and Slim Zooms like this.