"Goldfinger" premiered 50 years ago today

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

Still, for many, the Bond-iest Bond of them all.

Incidentally, my mom's late brother, who was something of an eccentric character, always claimed that this was the last movie he actually went to see in a theater.

BGLeduc, Ed Hughes and zen archer like this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

This movie was a landmark Bond movie.

Really set the stage for all future Bonds. Great villain, lot of toys with Aston Martin, hot co stars.... Great soundtrack to go with it.

Easily in my top 5 Bonds of all time.

3. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Two fun facts about Goldfinger:

There's a reason Sean Connery was not at the UK premiere of the film. He was in Spain for the filming of Sidney Lumet's The Hill, which had just started filming.

On the original British print of Goldfinger, it ended with the announcement that Bond would return in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

guy incognito and Vidiot like this.
  4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm getting old, Goldfinger :(

Don't need to see ***** Galore no more :(

Edit - I see more humor above courtesy of Robo Censor

5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Great flick!

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

"But of course you are."

MerseyBeatle and Vidiot like this.
  7. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Legendary

Mike from NYC likes this.
  8. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

My favorite 007 movie.
    "No Mr. Bond,I expect you to die":)

9. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

"My dear girl, there are some things that just aren't done. Such as, drinking Dom Perignon '53 above the temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. That's just as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs."

10. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

"Poossy!"

11. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

My name is P***y galore. Bond - I must be dreaming. My FAVORITE Bond movie, hands down. Ms. Galore, Bond, Odd-Job, Goldfinger, the Aston Martin with all the gadgets. I never get tired of watching this movie. I'm so glad I grabbed the two 3-packs of Connery's Bond movies on Blu-Ray. Damn......6 BD disks for $30. Great stuff.

12. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

:laugh: I forgot about that line.

13. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

GREAT movie. Beyond criticism. Great then, great now... an absolute classic. Fun, dramatic when it needs to be, dangerous where it needs to be, even while pushing the edge of believability. Just enough winking at the camera to not cross the line. This is a movie that got every single element of Bond right, as far as I'm concerned. Also one of the rare Bond films I think actually wound up as being better than the original novel.

There's a few silly things in the movie, like Goldfinger explaining his entire plot to raid Fort Knox, then gassing to death all the criminals that heard his speech. Why, if I didn't know any better, it's like the entire scene was done just to explain everything to Bond and the audience... :)

I think the movie also has one of Barry's best scores. Only On Her Majesty's Secret Service was better as film music, at least to me.

guy incognito and Ghostworld like this.
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

So watching that first trailer link, does that shooter seem to shoot high (above the "gun barrel")? I can't tell. It's close. My uncle always used to make note of the fact that Roger Moore's shot also misses the mark (too low I think) in his opening.

16. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

The best of Bond. I still remember when my parents took me to see the movie at the Fresh Meadows theater in NYC.

A DC 5 news reel piece preceded the movie and they performed Bits & Pieces and Glad All Over - I was extremely impressed and impressionable.

17. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

Another thing that's always bugged me is that the credits sequence is all scenes from the film we're about to see... except for one random clip of From Russia with Love (the helicopter)!

lbangs likes this.
  18. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

This is the first Bond film I saw in the theatre.

jerol

19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Me too. December 1964. 9 years old. Changed my life.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There are rules in Hollywood (and even England) about not pointing loaded guns at camera operators. Even when they're just shooting blanks.

guy incognito likes this.
  21. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I saw a 4K print of "Goldfinger" last night and the credits ended with a mention about "Thunderball"

Did the credit differ in different territories? Or did you simply list the wrong film??

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Any idea of a street date for a Blu ray ?

23. misko

misko Forum Resident

I love Goldfinger , but my favorite has always been Diamonds Are Forever. Maybe its Jill St. John who knows?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.