Goldfrapp, new album, 'Silver Eye', March 31st*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Dec 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident Thread Starter

George P, Bryan Harris and jamesc like this.
  2. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I'll be very interested to see what direction this one takes - I really liked Seventh Tree and Tales of Us. Oh, and another 5.1 mix please, maybe not just in a super deluxe edition box though...a simple cd/dvd (or blu-ray) combo is just fine thanks.

kenbefound and fredblue like this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Nice Christmas news! Amazingly "Seventh Tree" will be nine in February....

4. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I'm curious to see where they go sound-wise with this new one. I'm a fan of theirs but the last album Tales Of Us really left me cold, so much so that I'd completely forgotten about it and thought that this would be their first since 2010's Head First!

5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

'Seventh Tree' is my favourite. Who couldn't love 'A&E'?

I'd settle for another 'Head First' or 'Supernature', though.

LivingForever, tin ears and Neonbeam like this.
  6. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I tried to like Tales of Us but I just couldn't get into it but still a big fan.

7. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Apart from the Supernature sacd / dvd, what other mixes have they released?

8. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

According to the new issue of Mojo they're going for a harder electronic sound with ethereal melodies, or something like that. Can't quite remember exactly as I just flicked through it quickly in the supermarket. So I'm hoping it's like - and as good as - Black Cherry.

jamesc likes this.
  9. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

There's a 5.1 DVD of Tales Of Us in the box set.

Also, Felt Mountain & Black Cherry were prepared for Surround SACD release (Felt Mountain said to be an upmix of some kind rather than genuine remix from multitracks, however) neither of which have materialised to this day.

10. Neonbeam

Haha, so they are sticking to the pattern they have developed during the last ten years where a more introverted album is followed by a more outrageous collection:righton::righton:

11. Andrewb

Seems so, yeah. This link offers a bit more info about where the album was recorded and who is involved with the production.

12. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

"Black Cherry" was the one album of theirs I could never get into... I hope it's not anything like that one!

drasil likes this.
  13. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I guess I'm in the minority in that I really liked Tales of Us. I think of it as their acoustic album.

mikaal and lucan_g like this.
  14. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I like all their albums. I've been a fan since Felt Mountain, and I'd say the only one that I didn't absolutely love is Head First.

Looking forward to hearing the new album, and hope it's a new direction.

15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I have liked all their albums so far and "Tales Of Us" was really amazing, so it will be a treat to follow any releases after that.
    Anyways, Im really looking forward to hearing this new album from Goldfrapp, can't wait for it.

16. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

The first single:

RevUp64, SammyJoe, e.s. and 7 others like this.
  17. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Yay, the glam/sleazy disco electronics are back!! Love this!!!

18. Groovy

Oh, that's good stuff.

Make up is a scary thing. Is this really Alison Goldfrapp?

[​IMG]

The album cover:

[​IMG]

19. Groovy

It appears that it's impossible to pre-order anything from the U.S. site. Everything gets removed from my cart and a message that the items have sold out comes up.

Is anyone else having success?

20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Funny how Goldfrapp has two distinct "styles" in their music. My initial reaction was "oh no, the glam/sleazy disco electronics are back!" I love all their records, but I feel that this style is played out. It's fun though!

jamesc and drasil like this.
  21. Neonbeam

If you look at their catalogue the electro revival seemed imminent because beginning with "Supernature" Goldfrapp always followed a glam record with a more dreamy affair.

But maybe we are wrong and "Silver Eye" offers a hybrid like "Black Cherry". If there is one thing I have learned it's not to judge a Goldfrapp album too soon.

Concerning the EU preorders, it's weird that you can have a signed cd for 14€ while the limited clear - unsigned - vinyl sets you back 28€. If they offered signed vinyl I'd definitely be in. As it is, I'm going to wait.

22. Andrewb

Apparently (from Amazon's product description): "Goldfrapp follow up 2013’s Top 5 album ‘Tales of Us’ with the deep, dark and electronic musical palette of ‘Silver Eye’, their brand new studio album, made, for the first time, with an eclectic collection of collaborators. John Congleton, Grammy-winning producer of St. Vincent, John Grant and Wild Beasts, electronic composer Bobby Krlic, aka The Haxan Cloak and mix engineer David Wrench (The XX, Caribou, fka Twigs) have helped create an album of stomping underground electronica, sensual ethereal melodies and metal machine pop, that is undeniably Goldfrapp. A passionate and increasingly in-demand photographer, Alison art directed and shot all the images for the album cover and the publicity campaign."

And an interview with Alison Goldfrapp

23. Groovy

24. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I had thought the signed cd's sold out quickly, but I just managed to score one. Can't wait to hear this.

25. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

New song sounds promising, so definitely looking forward to the album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.