Goldfrapp, new album, 'Silver Eye', March 31st*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Dec 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Black Cherry redux! That takes me back. Good stuff. :righton:

2. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Bummer, I had no idea the LP and CD were up for pre-order. I would have bought the limited edition LP with postcards, but they are sold out now.

3. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

I'm in! A new Goldfrapp release is always welcome.

4. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

Hmm, for any hardcore Goldfrapp fans out there who simply have to have every track they've released there's a bonus track on the Japan edition according to Amazon.co.jp. Can't find details of what it is yet but hopefully it will appear in the ROW in some form or other.

5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I loved Felt Mountain. Black Cherry and Supernature were different but very good. Then I lost interest with 7th Tree and the 2 albums that followed. Something felt missing :shrug:
    I pay the ticket price every time for a live show when they come to town but I won't be buying the albums automatically unless they step up the quality. Just my opinion.
    I do hope the new album is a goodun.

6. djej

djej Forum Resident

I thought it was hauntingly beautiful. Count me as a fan of Tales Of Us.

On topic, "Anymore" is decent in and of itself. Will be interested to hear how it sounds in the context of the album.

7. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love this song. I love this video. I love this song and this video.

One of these women has a sister called Furiosa.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    SammyJoe, tin ears and Jerry Horne like this.
  8. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Great song!

9. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Wow, this one really impressed me on first listen.

I'm slowly going through their catalog in very haphazard way. First heard Supernature and liked it enough to seek out the SACD. Then tried to get into Seventh Tree and it didn't do much for me. Went back to the beginning and loved Felt Mountain and am enjoying Black Cherry so far. Looking forward to the new album!

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  10. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident Thread Starter

vonwegen likes this.
  11. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

12. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

13. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Upcoming...when again?

14. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Friday the 31st, got the clear vinyl pre-ordered. Hopefully I'll be enjoying it this time next week.

15. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

So excited for this! I'm not that big on their more downtempo and folky stuff, but this sounds like a return to their more electronic side.
    I'm seeing them live next month!

16. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

So is there a 5.1 for this one?

17. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Ocean sounds great.

18. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

They have never surpassed their masterpiece, Felt Mountain. Gorgeous, haunting, and creepy! For some reason they've never been able to make another album in that style. Black Cherry and Supernature were very similar. Head First was a pop-oriented one off. And Seventh Tree and Tales of Us are very similar. Tales of Us touches on FM near it's end. But it doesn't get too deep into it before that album is over. Maybe the last song or two.

Not sure why Mute has completely dropped the ball on reissuing their albums on vinyl. All we got (luckily!) was Felt Mountain. Maybe one day... looking forward to the new album.

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Goldfrapp back to sexy fun! Great stuff!

20. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

I feel the same. I understand that some people like more downtempo stuff like Felt Mountain, but I'm not into that sound from them. Love the more electro sexy fun sound from them.

I think Alison is one of the few singers who combines an amazing visual look with musical substance.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I loved Seventh Tree. I think its one of the greatest albums from that time period. But I have been yearning awhile for Alison to get back to the other side of her personality, so it is a welcome return.

Really though this album sounds more tribal than dancelctronica. Still though, it sounds like just enough fun.

vonwegen and e.s. like this.
  22. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the vinyl release comes with a CD or download?

23. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

I think Tales of Us is nothing less than a masterpiece, and absolutely breathtaking in its beauty.

Having said that, another thing I really like about Goldfrapp is that they don't try to make the same album twice.

vonwegen, e.s., jamesc and 2 others like this.
  24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I'm actually glad Goldfrapp never made "Felt Mountain 2.0", it isn't even my favourite album of theirs.

Oh.... and I don't think "Black Cherry" and "Supernature" are remotely similar. And "Seventh Tree" and "Tales Of Us" also are very different.

25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Never been able"? I don't think it was ever part of the bands modus operandi to repeat themselves. When I interviewed Alison and Will (!) for "Seventh Tree" they came across as people that don't like to be pigeonholed. And they got pigeonholed with "Felt Mountain".

In my opinion the album coming closest to the debut is actually "Tales Of Us". "Silver Eye", I expect to be all over the place like "Black Cherry".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.