Gonna get the Dr. Dre Beats MIXR headphones to see how..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HiFiGuy528, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

Has San Francisco become massively more dangerous in the last couple of years. I have spent a fair amount of time there over the years, but have not been back recently. I just cannot imagine It being such a risk to wear out in public in a well populated and generally safe (IME) city like SF.

Here in NY it seems like every other person on the subway, bus or street has a pair of Beats. While I generally like the look of the various Beats, I would not buy any of them because the ones I have listened to are horribly overpriced at best or simply terrible at worst. But if I did buy a pair it would be because they look kind of snazzy (or at least they did until every teen and their mom started sporting a pair) and I would not give a second thought to wearing them in public here in NY. Obviously one can never be too safe as a general matter, but I would be much more worried about my watch or my wife's engagement ring getting nabbed (or even my Iphone or Ipad for that matter) than a $200+ pair of headphones, and We take those things out in public. again, better safe than sorry I guess but it is also nice to be able to enjoy things, including out and about in public. is SF really that much worse than NY or are you just being extra careful.

2. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

as usual I will look forward to your impressions on these when you get them.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Bloated and boomy. Horrible, horrible headphones.

I just picked up the new Sony MDR-7510's, and was very surprised as to how good they sounded. They're a huge improvement (in most ways) over their older 7506's. Also about $100 or so... but not as stylish as the Beats 'phones. If I were out in public, I wear very discrete black earbuds, usually Sony MDX-90s, very casual. I'm not anxious to proclaim, "hey! I've wearing valuable headphones! Steal me, please!"

On my list of Top 10 Most Obnoxious Things to Do at the Gym, around #9 is "Wearing Beats Headphones Cranked to 11 and Singing Along While Doing the Stairmaster."

4. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

Yeah, that's wise. I'm not one to draw attention to myself anyway, and I live in Chicago on top of that. I really like my Denon AH-C360 in-ear phones. They don't look like much, they aren't expensive, but they sound great. They're usually hooked up to an old iPod Nano when I'm on the El. Virtually mug-proof.

5. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Beats=Marketing Hype. Grado=Good Sounding Cans. I use Yuin PK3 black earbuds out in public. Low key, good sounding, about $40. Won't cry if they break or I lose them.

6. Oh, give me a break. I live and work in what many people consider the most dangerous city in the US and I wouldn't have a second thought about sporting a pair in public.

7. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX Thread Starter

So I couldn't get it from my contact at Monster because Dr Dre and Monster broke up. I ordered it through Amazon and it should arrive next week.

8. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Really? I live in "Disney-fied, Bloomberg-secure" New York, and people are having their Beats headphones and iPhones stolen on pretty much a daily basis according to local Police Blotters...

9. HiFiGuy528

There are signs on the bus and bus stops telling people to be careful with their Beats & iPhones. Yes, the guy in the posters has Beats headphones on and iPhone in hand. Robberies are common in San Francisco. Grab and runs are even more frequent.

I've been robbed three times in my lifetime in San Francisco. Twice at gun point and once at knife point. My friend was robbed while sitting in his car with the window down. It was his first week living in SF coming from a small town. I said "welcome to the big city".

10. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

When I was commuting to NYC back in the early 00's, it was usually a good idea to swap out your white earbuds as you definitely did not want to attract attention to anyone that you had a nice expensive iPod in your pocket. And interestingly, I do see iPads on the subway when I visit now, which I figure is a bit risky as well.

One of the reasons why I like my Yuin PK1's is that they look like a $5 pair of ear buds -- no one would even think of stealing them.

11. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I bet my $40 Phillips SHP1900's sound better than these. I mean, my Phillips are nothing special to say the least, but they give a well balanced sound in my opinion, and are not bass heavy, and have nice mids and high end.

I hate to think what the Dr. Dre beats sound like.

12. HiFiGuy528

Check them out if you get a chance in the future and let us know your final thoughts.

13. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

If I get the chance, I will definitaley give Dre's Beats a go, I'm starting to get really interested in them, as they stir up quite a discussion.

14. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

15. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

It rattles your brain and is overdone, but it doesn't ruin the sound as a whole. To sound horrible yet acceptable, for £350, is some achievement indeed.

Typical What Hifi drivel. Somebody please hire me to play with gear and write about it. I promise not to use "not-inconsiderable".

16. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

Yeah, a while ago. Wondering who Beats will have make their cans now? I can only guess they'll go cheaper and the old ones will go up in price.

Beats Electronics Is Breaking Up With Monster
    By Cliff Edwards - Jan 12, 2012 1:58 PM PT
    Facebook Share
    LinkedIn
    Google +1
    0 COMMENTS
    Print
    QUEUE
    Q
    Jan. 12 (Bloomberg BusinessWeek) -- In a Las Vegas hotel a few days before the start of the Consumer Electronics Show on Jan. 10, Interscope Geffen A&M Chairman Jimmy Iovine takes out an iPad and swipes through photos of celebrities wearing headphones from Beats Electronics, the company he co-owns with rapper Dr. Dre. There’s Nicole Kidman, the late Steve Jobs listening to his iPod, and Kobe Bryant sporting a pair in L.A. Lakers purple. Before Beats, “Guys were making headphones that looked like medical equipment,” says Iovine.
    Nowhere to be found among the photos is Noel Lee, the chief executive of Monster Cable Products, which has manufactured the headphones under exclusive license since their debut in 2009. The partnership between Beats and Monster, an electronics company best known for expensive stereo cables, has been an unmitigated success. Its products captured 53 percent of the $1 billion annual headphone market last year, according to researcher NPD Group. Now the partnership is coming to an end. Beats has opted not to renew its five-year contract with Monster when it ends late this year.
    Though both companies publicly say the separation is amicable, the relationship turned sour over financial terms, with divergent views on which side deserves the most credit for the line’s success and Beats balking at its share of the revenue, according to two people who asked not to be identified because the talks were private. While Monster manufactures and helped design the headphones, and even takes credit for the idea (“They wanted to do speakers and I said, ‘The new speaker is the headphone,’ ” says Lee), Iovine and Dr. Dre are the partnership’s frontmen. The pair marshaled their celebrity friends to successfully position Beats headphones as something more than run-of-the-mill audio gear. “Now a big part of what you’re paying for is the brand and fashion,” says Ben Arnold, director of industry analysis for NPD.
    At CES, Lee was busy preparing his company for a Beats-free future. Audio gear sales, most of which came from the Beats partnership, last year accounted for nearly 60 percent of privately held Monster’s revenues and profit, says Lee, who gets around conferences like CES on a Segway scooter that’s gold-plated, just like some of the company’s pricey HDMI cables. After the split, Beats will retain the rights to the bass-thumping sound technology, the prominent circular design, and the brand. So last year Lee asked nearly half his 650 employees to come up with Monster-branded headphones. “We’re competing with ourselves,” Lee says of the Beats products he’s trying to outdo. “We can be the Apple of the headphones space, with or without Beats.”
    With Beats already dominant among hip twentysomethings, Lee is targeting athletes, women, business professionals, and others who haven’t yet been persuaded to spend hundreds of dollars on headphones. He showed off the company’s offerings, which became available for preorder to distributors on Jan. 9. One $200 pair of in-ear headphones bears the name of the ’70s soul act Earth, Wind & Fire. A Miles Davis line has earbuds shaped like trumpets and a volume controller that looks like piston valves. In all, there are eight new lines in 50 different styles. “We hope people will recognize what we’ve done in terms of sound with the Beats products,” Lee says.
    Meanwhile, Beats is moving on. The company’s sound technology is already in many computers made by Hewlett-Packard, the Chrysler 300 S sedan, and smartphones created by HTC, which took a 51 percent stake in Beats last year for $300 million. Beats also wants to expand into TVs and specialized audio gear for athletes. “We have very big ambitions for Beats beyond headphones,” says Iovine. “Music has got to succeed on the phone or else the record industry will never thrive.” He’s not particularly worried about the competition from other high-end headphone makers, such as Philips Electronics and Bose, or his former partner. “You never get anywhere if you’re always looking left and right,” he says. “They’re doing their thing, and we’re doing ours.”

17. HiFiGuy528

My contact at Monster don't know who the OEM is for Beats now. I wish we knew. I do suspect the build quality may suffer without Monster.

18. Raf

Raf Senior Member

So, did you see how?

19. HiFiGuy528

Make sure you check out the entire full-size headphones line and not just one. IMO, the Solo is the worst and MIXR the best. That's why I ordered the MIXR for an extended audition and compare to the ones in my collection.

20. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

That's right. He's got enough studio experience to know what a good pair of neutral headphones should sound like. He knows those headphones are nowhere near having good sound quality. I bet he probably doesn't even own a pair of them.

21. laynecobain

Yep, and while they may not be up to snuff for a lot of people on here, they're very good headphones for your average 20-something listening to his Ipod. Probably get manufactured by Top Star or Garin in China. Same as Skullcandy.

http://www.diytrade.com/china/pl/0-k-c-1/Skullcandy.html

22. laynecobain

23. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

24. laynecobain

They're counterfeit? Sorry, did not know what. That sucks. Figured it was too good to be true.

25. HiFiGuy528

There are so many Beats resellers selling counterfeit stuff is not even funny. You must buy from a trusted reseller like Best Buy, Apple or Amazon to ensure you are getting the real thing. The counterfeits are so good, it's hard to tell the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.