Gonna get the Dr. Dre Beats MIXR headphones to see how..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HiFiGuy528, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

I would have thought the Ferrari co-branding (not to mention the price) was a dead give away. (Although there are (or will be very soon) Ferrari branded cans, just not with Beats.)

2. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I'm guessing they are, as well. Given how many knocks-off there are, I wouldn't buy them except from a reputable seller. The fact that it's Hong Kong based just sets off all the red lights in my head. ;)

3. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

This sucks and I can see how it would color your view of things (frankly, I would understand if you left the city for good after that).

The one thing that I will say about NY that I find different from a lot of other major cosmopolitan cities is that it is pretty hard to put yourself in a place where you can be cornered and trapped if you are on the streets, and there is almost always a lot of people around, stores open, etc., no matter what time, so that if you feel uncomfortable or threatened there is the prospect of a flight to safety. I have been in other cities like San Fran, Philadelphia and others where I found myself in deserted areas at not-so-late hours and it was a little scary. That almost never happens to me in NYC. Even back in the '90's, when NY was still less safe than now (albeit markedly better than the '80's, not to even mention the '70's), when I would come back from some of the Westside Highway clubs (before Chelsea and the Meatpacking District became what they are today), I still felt relatively safe, although one had to exercise some caution to be sure. Subway at night, depending on the line, can be kind of dicey so you have to use some judgment and be careful (e.g., late at night on the train I will ask my wife to turn her ring around, diamond inward, which we would never do during the day).

4. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

But they all are going to sound like crap anyway

5. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Trusted Reseller and Best Buy sounds like an oxymoron to me....it's only a matter of time before "Worst Value" goes the way of Circuit City.

6. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

It's amazing to me that for the same price as a pair of Beats Solos you can buy a pair of Grado RS225i's...and actually hear very high quality music in the process.

7. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Interesting article provided by laynecobain. So they now have 53% of the headphone market. They are bought for their "brand and fashion". Touted as the headphone of choice for "hip twentysomethings".
    Sad commentary on what now passes for "hip".

8. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX Thread Starter

Well, those are very different headphones. Grado isn't known for chest pounding bass so Hip Hop/Rap listeners may not like them. When I listen to Rap/Hip Hop, I go to my Sony MDR-XB700. That headphone doesn't do anything else good, but Rap/Hip Hop. The MIXR or any Beats headphones were designed with Rap/Hip Hop music in mind so I suspect it will perform well with those genre.

My MIXR headphones is one a FedEx truck somewhere in the country. I should have it next week.

9. HiFiGuy528

I am looking to move to the suburbs. July 4th actives (not the legal ones) were a bit much in my hood.

10. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

Born and raised in Bay Area...43 now. Never, out of all the drunken nights, mornings, anywhere have I even been approached to be mugged. Had someone take a hammer to my car in the Tenderloin when I went to see a band play.

LA is another story. Best was having a knife put to my throat after exiting Prince's club Glam Slam (downtown). And several other almost fights.

SF I have never felt threatened even in the most ghetto areas. Same with Portland and Seattle.

11. HiFiGuy528

It's here! I will be showing my viewers on YouTube how to identify a counterfeit Beats MIXR. A review against the others will come. Stay subscribed.

[​IMG]

12. laynecobain

Awesome. Will you have a counterfeit pair to compare? Or is Monster providing you with the exterior tell-tale signs?

13. laynecobain

Awesome. Will you have a counterfeit pair to compare? Or is Monster providing you with the exterior tell-tale signs?

14. HiFiGuy528

I spoke with my contact at Monster AND watched A LOT of fake & real Beats MIXR unboxings. I can confidently tell someone how a real Beats MIXR is packaged and look like. There is one tell tail signs before you even open the box and a few inside the box.

15. HiFiGuy528

16. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'm not even interested in these headphones but found the video quite informative and enjoyable. Your attention to detail is outstanding. You should have a quality control job for a manufacturer.:)

Thanks for the info.

17. HiFiGuy528

Thanks for the kind words and spending the time to watch my video. Please stay subscribed for an unbiased review. It should be interesting.

18. HiFiGuy528

I am enjoying these right now on my MacBook Air and Audioquest DragonFly DAC/amp and I do think these don't sound all that bad specially with rap/hip hop music. The midrange is a bit more forward than normal, but it's not like a horn speaker. The bass is tight, but not boomy. Highs are actually very smooth, not any bit of harshness at all. The clamping force is hard on my ears. I am not feeling any discomfort yet after an hour, but I think if I were outside in the sun it would be a problem. More to come.

Gonna try some David Guetta music this weekend.

19. HiFiGuy528

I don't think it's bad for any audio enthusiast to try any of the Beats headphones line for themselves so he/she can decide if it's the headphones for them. Dre isn't marketing the headphones as "audiophile" or "Hi-Fi" so I'm not gonna flame him for making a product that may not meet those expectations/standards. My short experience with the Beats MIXR headphones so far is not all that bad. If you take into count the features, build quality, industrial design, accessories, sound, and looks, it's not all that bad for the asking price of $249. At least he is not rebranding a headphones like some celebrity is doing with a manufacture. Just trying to have an open mind and deciding for myself. :)

20. HiFiGuy528

21. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

Of course, it's true that it is best, as a general matter, to try things out for ourselves when possible and I would not dissuade anyone from putting on a pair of Beats in a store or otherwise. However, there is value to recommendations from respected sources as well. In the case of Beats cans, the overwhelming majority of critical listeners on boards like this one and Head-Fi find the Beats line up to range from terribly overpriced for what you are getting to being downright terrible. Those assessments are consistent with my own views form having tried on most of the models. Now, I have not tried on the MIXRs (although I have seen them once or twice in Worst Buy) so I will not prejudge them; however, my expectations are not too high
    based on prior experience with that brand.

I am not going to flame him or Jimmy Iovine for being very successful at what they do. But I take some issue with your statement. From their About the company legend on their press releases:

"The company's mission is to build quality music experiences for all elements of the digital music ecosystem—including headphones, devices and services—so that fans can hear music the way artists intended it to sound in the studio."

They use variations on "hearing music the way artsists intended" in tons of their promo materials. That seems very inconsistent with having such highly colored headphones (not talking about the high-gloss plastic either).

Again, I do not want to prejudge. But at $250 a buyer should be getting a lot in terms of quality with respect to sound, build and looks. At $250, you are only $50 less than B&W P5 and Phillips F1, and are more than V-Moda M-80 and Senn HD25-II and a variety of other very good portables.

I will give them that.

I wouldn't expect anything less from you. :)

22. HiFiGuy528

Depends on how you understand their Mission Statement. Perhaps Rap/Hip Hop artists is going for that boomy harsh highs sound in their record so having a headphones that reproduce those things is what they want their fans to experience. Just like The Beatles recording in mono.

I've tried and own a few brand of headphones from budget to top of the line. Every manufacture I've owned and tried has one more more models that's disappointing to be kind. This is my first Beats by Dre headphones. I think it's fun to try something I haven't tried before that doesn't cost an arm and leg.

Beats by Dre sound is not for everyone and neither is the Sennhieser HD800. Some may say the HD800 is the worst sounding headphones for the money. At $1499, it's not for everyone. In fact, the HD800 sounds awful with Rap/Hip Hop music. One who likes that genre would say the HD800 is "crap" for $1499.

I'm not saying everyone should buy a Beats by Dre headphones, but the amount of hate the brand gets is uncalled for. My initial impressions on the MIXR are good. I would go as far as saying that I would own this before I would own a B&W P3 for $199.

Being an audio/headphones enthusiast is about having an open mind and trying different things. :) My final thoughts and comments to come. Stay tuned.

23. HiFiGuy528

I am impressed by this headphones. Male vocals and kick drums are amazing. It's not a neutral sound, but it's a fun sound. As tight as the clamping force, I don't feel much discomfort after two hours. More to come and a review against the others.

Aerosmith "Dream On" sounds amazing.

24. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I would say that rap/hip hop sound doesn't just sound awful on the HD800, I would say the rap/hip hop just sounds awful...period!!!

25. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Bull. To you maybe, not to a listener with open ears and minds. I am with the Beats vs B+W P3 thingy. That looks cheap and dad like vs the coll looking fine designed and excitingly well made BEATS headphones for just a few bucks more.
    Sure noth are aimed at a COMPLETE different type of listener, but for outside/street use nothing makes the B&W hip, the BEATS may not cause attraction anymore but you like okay with them.
    Not that I care a lot about that I run around with the huge Audio Technika phones, that sound good, but are not always loud enough - depending on the recording...
    A good product, if it wasn't it would not be such a success !
    You never hear Beats user complain only those who don't want a product from either Monster or a rapper and black millionaire..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.