goo goo goo joob (I am the Walrus) vs. coo coo ca choo (Mrs. Robinson)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigmikerocks, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

so was the lyric from 'mrs. robinson' a not to the beatles tune?

or was coo coo ca choo an old saying that lennon changed up for walrus and that simon also used for mrs. robinson?

thanks!!!!

2. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

My take has always been that Simon was referencing that bit from "I Am The Walrus"

3. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Mine too, although I've wondered whether he changed or just misheard it.

4. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

Every Beatle fan here (isn't that almost everybody here?) should listen to "My Coo Ca Choo" by Alvin Stardust (who was an old Liverpool friend of The Beatles and who recorded as Shane Fenton in the '60s, on Parlophone if I remember rightly); that track is very Lennonesque, in vocal stylings and production qualities.

5. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

There's also "My Coo-Ca-Choo" by Alvin Stardust. And L.A. Guns' "My Koo Ka Choo"

@paul62 - you beat me to it while I was looking up the name of the artist - I only knew the song

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, you figure "I Am the Walrus" came out in November of 1967 (and was recorded in August), and "Mrs. Robinson" came out in April of 1968. Looks pretty clear-cut to me.

And don't forget "do a poo-poo" from The Rutles' "Piggy in the Middle."

7. bigmikerocks

the lyrics were in the MMT album, so doubtful he misheard it....guess maybe he never looked at the lyrics or misheard it....how old is this alvin stardust song?

8. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

The Alvin Stardust song, My Coo Ca Choo, came out in 1973. #2 in the UK, #1 (for seven weeks) in Australia - the highest selling single of the year there.

9. xios

xios Senior Member

On my low-fi system back in the 1960's, I heard Walrus as "coo-coo-ca-choo" and thought the lyrics were wrong. It wasn't until I got a Gerrard,Kenwood,JBL,Shure V-15 II system in 1971 that I realized the lyrics were probably correct.

10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"May I Take Your Hat And Goat?"

I'd guess, from the use of these lines in "How Can You Be In Two Places At One When You're Not Anywhere At All", that these phrases must be vintage drug codes of some sort . . .

:pineapple: :pineapple: :pineapple: :pineapple: :pineapple:

11. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident

Doesn't the the average Joe think that John is saying "Coo Coo Ca Choo" anyway??

12. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I always have. I didn't know 'goo goo a joob' until I saw a lyric sheet.

13. 905

905 Senior Member

That's what my cousin and I thought when we were younger.

14. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

For years, I've been a big fan of the old comedy series, Mystery Science Theater 3000, and I love how the writers would work in their huge reservoir of pop culture knowledge. But there's one episode, whenever I see it, I can't help but cringe to hear one of the characters say "I am the walrus, coo coo ca choo." :rolleyes:

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

When I was a kid that Beatles song made me think that "goo goo g'joob" was a noise walruses made.

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I think they were both tributes to "Oom Papa Mow Mow".

17. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

To me as a Kid,my take: "Goo-Goo-A-Joob"-Jibberish from an Infant,"Coo-Coo-A-Choo"-Bless You! (Sneeze!):laugh:

18. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I'm guessing none of you well-read fellows has heard of James Joyce then?

19. bigmikerocks

do tell!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

20. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Finnegan's wake by James Joyce, a book which Lennon read after being compared to him following 'In His Own Write' contains the line: "goo goo goosth". Joyce was part of the photo montage on the Sgt Pepper cover shoot, but is either obscured or removed. It's not much of a link but it could be the genesis of the line, as Lennon was known to be writing 'I Am The Walrus' as an excercise in pointedly random nonesense, in a similar style to Joyce.

21. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Its Goo Goo Ga Joob never thought it was anything else especially Coo Coo, I guess with a non English accent as your language it may seem like that !!!

22. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Since the preceding line has to do with keeping children from knowing about the affair, I always assumed Paul & Art were simply singing in "baby talk" and not referencing "I Am The Walrus" at all.

"It's a little secret, just the Robinsons' affair
    Most of all, you've got to hide it from the kids
    Coo, coo, ca-choo, Mrs Robinson..."

23. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

The phrase "goo goo" is a general example of "baby talk" as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.