Good Bye Hip...Good Bye Gord.... (final Tragically Hip concert) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grapenut, Aug 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amazing way to end a career. What a show! Quality. Canadians of many ages will remember where where they were on this night. Equal to "The Goal"!

2. Trouble is a lot of the non- Canadians on this board have NO CLUE what you are talking about. Can we be a little less parochial?

3. grapenut

Actually not at all. Google it if you have to ,....and stop using big words.

Funky54, jasn, violetvinyl and 10 others like this.
  4. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Well, this non-Canadian knows that the OP is talking about the Tragically Hip concert...their last with lead singer Gordon Downie, who is dying of cancer. They gave a raw and emotional show... I enjoyed it a lot.

Funky54, kozy814, fabrikk and 10 others like this.
  5. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

Very sad. Caught the end of the concert - not a dry eye in the house, it looked like.

NJB

BGLeduc and grapenut like this.
  6. grapenut

Last I read there were 8107 other threads to reply to....pick one.

violetvinyl and BGLeduc like this.
  7. CDC

CDC Forum Resident

This is not the end of the Hip..last concert maybe...but not the end!

fabrikk and grapenut like this.
  8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I said it in the other thread... but I'm not sure I've seen raw emotion on stage like I saw in Grace Too. Gut wrenching.

fabrikk, kevywevy, vinylphile and 3 others like this.
  9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

When I saw it, I thought it was in reference to Gordon Lightfoot. The OP needs to not be vague when starting threads.

10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

To be fair... since when has Gordon Lightfoot ever been prefaced with "Goodbye Hip"?

There is more than one Gord in this world... ESPECIALLY in Canada. :cool:

chodad, Dave, mr._mojo_filter and 3 others like this.
  11. grapenut

RE...When I saw it, I thought it was in reference to Gordon Lightfoot. The OP needs to not be vague when starting threads.

Wow....tough room. I will keep your most helpful suggestion in mind ...until my next thread PO

Bigbudukks likes this.
  12. Sad news then, but can we show a little more maturity- sorry that's another big word. Who knows, if you had been a little more forthcoming with information about this event people like me who don't know the band or their lead singer's tragic circumstances might have had an opportunity to hear some great music. But hey, let's just make it a 'Canadian thing' shall we?

Nostaljack and D.H. like this.
  13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Nothing like starting a nebulous thread about a tragic situation (yet, given this final show, something of a victory for posterity) for family, friends and fans, and then denigrating it into a semantic argument over something so less important. My condolences go out to the family, friends and fans of Gord Downie.

14. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Didn't see this thread, but just posted this in the other Hip thread:

I was thinking about when their classic albums came out, pre-Internet, and living in small town Canada, I would listen to them over and over again. At parties, in my bedroom, on my discman....it's no wonder I know them all so well. Watching this show tonight was such a wonderful event. What a man, what a band.

I'm so glad they chose to do this final tour when he still had the strength. You'll never know how many people were watching this because as you saw from the shots outside Kingston and every other place, people were gathered by the hundreds and thousands watching it in bars, in theatres, and outside on large screens. I'm pretty sure at least half of our country could have been watching this show.

Scope J, JeffMo and grapenut like this.
  15. grapenut

No problem pal...feel free to leave the room. ...Sorry I am with Mr. T on this one...not very politically correct....or mature....can we resume our regular programming now HMMMM?
    Watched it at home with friends and it was very moving. A local park in the center of town was filled with fans watching it on a big screen. It is a "Canadian Thing".

BTW to the MOD...thanks for the thread title edit. Sorry everyone for the confusion....it's a Canadian thing to think you all know who we are and actually care.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    musicalbeds likes this.
  16. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

That does largely sum up America's response to the Hip, actually. But, better late than never...

D.D.

grapenut likes this.
  17. grapenut

Tonight is not a good night to mess with the True North Strong and Free, being full of strong Canadian ales and lagers....tomorrow? Post and flail away.

mkolesa and jalexander like this.
  18. grapenut

People gathered in many towns in town squares etc. It was a huge event. Like the 72 Summit ...last game. ...Canadian thing.

19. Inner ear

Inner ear Forum Resident

I missed the broadcast of the show. I hope they release a DVD of the show or the tour. It is very sad but that was a very brave way to say goodbye.

grapenut likes this.
  20. grapenut

It was one for the ages IE

21. I was at the "last" Toronto show on Sunday Aug 14. It was a far less solemn affair than I was expecting. It was celebratory and fun!

Also, there were signs in the 100 level informing patrons that the show was being professionally filmed so a future DVD / Blu-ray release is in the cards.

grapenut likes this.
  22. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Wonderful, wonderful show. Followed them since I saw them in concert in Vancouver in the early 90's. I was in tears at the end.

Also not sure in what other country you will find the Prime Minister wearing a Hips t shirt and boggieing away with the rest of the audience. They were that much a part of Canadian culture.

23. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

That the CBC would program that concert over a night of Olympic coverage shows how important the Hip have been in Canada. It was a really good show that didn't become the sadfest it could of. Glad for Gord he got do do a proper farwell on his own terms.

fabrikk, dadonred, mkolesa and 4 others like this.
  24. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I watched the CBC stream of this concert last night, along with many Canadians and Hip fans worldwide (it isn't an exclusive club, but they are one of our national treasures, and one of the most under appreciated acts of my generation outside of this country).

It was an incredible, and moving performance, and will become an event of historic significance in this country's cultural fabric.

I welcome and encourage anyone who stumbles onto this thread out of curiosity to check out what this band is about.

dadonred, nitsuj, mkolesa and 9 others like this.
  25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I guess it's a testament to the CBC "local content" rules that an act can be so huge in their home country and have no impact elsewhere.

Purple likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.