Good deal on this audio rack?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chiliarches, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiliarches

Chiliarches Forum Resident Thread Starter

SALAMANDER DESIGNS AUDIO RACK

This listing is close to my parents house and my barber...I am thinking of going down and having dinner with the folks, getting my haircut, and picking up this audio rack. It seems like a good deal, but the finish is different than any of the finishes Salamander offers today. Am I missing something, or is it identical in quality to the current five-level Archetype models that Salamander offers today? It looks the same.

Just double checking with the wisdom of the forum. :D

timind likes this.
  2. Helom

Helom Forum member

I have that same Archetype rack (in black). It was a real b**** to set up and get all the shelves level. I suppose it's decent for $300 but I wouldn't place anything heavier than 50 lbs on any one shelf. The design is not completely rigid. I used the rubber washers that get placed under the metal washers. It would probably be more rigid without them.

I wonder if the Audio Advisor Pangea racks are a better value.

3. Helom

Helom Forum member

That one has the spike feet. Those alone cost $60

4. dmacg

dmacg Active Member

That is a good deal. I have had the Salamander Archetype for 3 years. (8 shelves with spikes) and it is a fantastic rack. Better sounding than any "solid" rack I had previously owned. As I came to understand the theory behind it's design, flexibility being an important component in it's ability to isolate your gear, I thought I would try it. You can find many DIY instructions on line as well.

Cheerio;

Doug MacGregor, Canada

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

They are VERY sturdy. Each shelf will support up to 150 lbs. The one you are seeing has been discontinued. It is like the all black version with MDF shelf material however the front edges have solid cherry inserts.
    -Bill

6. Chiliarches

Hey guys - I think someone answered this question already on another thread, but this rack should be able to fit my 16.5" deep Yamaha A-S2000, correct? That's just the box depth and doesn't even includes the knobs and terminals...the dimensions on the Archetype (23"W x 36"H x 16"D) is between the posts?

7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You really should go to the Salamander website and view this info for yourself instead of expecting others to do it for you. In short, your receiver will fit but it'll hang over the back a bit. It's where the feet are on the receiver that determines the minimum shelf depth.
    -Bill

timind likes this.
  8. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yamaha's dimensions do typically include the knobs and jacks. Anyway, the feet spacing is what matters and the Yamaha should fit.

9. Helom

Helom Forum member

The AS1100 fits the Salamander shelves, that's my reference.

10. Chiliarches

Hey Bill - I agree with you. I wasn't expecting others to look up information for me, I was asking for experience with the two products before I made the hour drive to look at this rack. Where a tight fit is concerned, I prefer to rely on experience rather than published dimensions, because people measure differently.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Perfect! Thank you.

11. Chiliarches

VoilĂ .

[​IMG]

Helom, Jerry James and JakeMcD like this.
  12. James Murray

James Murray Forum Resident

Looks great! Love the turntable plinth as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.