Good deals on amazon.co.uk - will get regularly updated

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by rjstauber, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

I started another thread with the "U2- Joshua Tree" deluxe edition:

I noticed lately that there are some good deals to be had on amazon.co.uk. Prices change often. I recommend to add the stuff you might be interested in your shopping basket. Then visit the website and your basket on a regular basis, and you will get informed about price changes.

When you buy from the U.S., you get the VAT (tax) back (I think 17% or so), and shipping costs are also very reasonable I think. The british pound is relatively low in value compared to where it was a year ago or so.

For example, I recently got the "Simon & Garfunkel: The Collection" for 10 GBP. This contains all five albums in their remastered form (with bonus tracks) and also the Central Park DVD (with LPCM 2.0 soundtrack). The albums come in a neat little box and miniature vinyl replica sleeves. Not bad for around 12.50 Euros shipped to Germany for example.

I also did get the "Pink Floyd - Oh by the Way" box set around Christmas time for 99 GBP.

Another example, which is still on sale at the moment:

Deep Purple - Live in Japan (3-CD 21st Anniversary set) - only 7.98 GBP:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Japan-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236430718&sr=8-1
    I just received that, and it is usually a lot more. Well worth it, in my opinion.

And if you like James Taylor, they have the UK version of "Covers" (15 tracks) for 8.98 GBP (not a sale price, but I don't think it's available in the US):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Covers-Bonu...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236430931&sr=1-1

Feel free to post any other ones you see and find interesting.

They had the deluxe edition of the new U2 album (the one with the book and DVD) for around 18 GBP for a very short time. Probably was an error. I didn't buy it, but I probably should have.

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

3. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Thanks. Just ordered the S & G boxset. Bargain !

4. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

VAT is 15% right now. A lot of the music I buy is from the UK, and I find that, even with shipping and the exchange (which is about 1.4 right now), things still come out markedly cheaper than buying them from the domestic Amazon.

5. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I'm gonna have to keep my eye on that S&G set. Right now, it would cost around $21 shipped, which isn't worth pooping your pants over, but if it went down to 10 GBP, it'd be closer to $18, which may be worth getting.

6. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

Hi Roland, an honourary native thanks you for starting this thread :wave:

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's OK now. But it was $8.99 UK pounds about a week ago (BEFORE taking off the VAT)...THAT'S when it was a real bargain (got it at that price). Too bad that you get the PAL version of the Concert for Central Park.

8. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Oh, and I assume the mastering of that S&G set is from the Vic Anesini remasters?

9. This thread is a very good idea. A good number of regular cd releases are much cheaper by importing them from Amazon.co.uk to the U.S. My advice to people taking this route is to combine orders for shipping purposes to save on costs. I will typically order three to five cd's at a time this way.

10. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

11. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

Just ordered the Karajan and S&G boxes. Shipping to my office in London is free! Thanks for the lead(s).

12. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

13. Blencathra

Blencathra New Member

14. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

15. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

16. Claude

Claude Senior Member

... and which is region-hackable, since almost all movie DVDs are region coded, and UK DVDs are Region 2 while US DVD players are Region 1.

17. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

18. triple

triple Senior Member

19. Mike the Fish

Yes, it plays on redbook. Haven't compared it to anything else though, have only really played the surround layer too. I don't believe there's any recent Island ND stuff that sounds awful or even particularly bad. Cue the more knowledgeable.....

20. Mike the Fish

21. triple

triple Senior Member

4 actually. :)

Goran

22. Mike the Fish

You got me :D

23. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

the Cd's version of U2 Joshua tree is gone now.
    missed it...

24. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

Early bird gets the worm... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.