Good deals on amazon.co.uk - will get regularly updated

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by rjstauber, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Yes, the Amazon.com listing is just an import of the UK release, and Amazon import prices are sometimes ridiculously high. Prices may also change once the item is released.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Usually what happens is that the Amazon.com price stays high, but third parties (usually based in the UK) start to offer it at prices that are competitive with the prices available from amazon.co.uk...

3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Doesn't the VAT get deducted for everyone outside the eu?

4. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I'm not even sure if all EU countries outside UK even have to pay it. After all it's a British sales tax and NOT a europe wide levy. As the EU gains increasingly more members I'd be surprised. Maybe someone living in one of them can comment with some authority?

http://europa.eu/about-eu/countries/index_en.htm

The member states of the EU include:

- Austria
    - Belgium
    - Bulgaria
    - Cyprus
    - Czech Republic
    - Denmark
    - Estonia
    - Finland
    - France
    - Germany
    - Greece
    - Hungary
    - Ireland
    - Italy
    - Latvia
    - Lithuania
    - Luxembourg
    - Malta
    - Netherlands
    - Poland
    - Portugal
    - Romania
    - Slovak Republic
    - Slovenia
    - Spain
    - Sweden
    - United Kingdom

5. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

EU citizens have to pay VAT when they purchase something in a EU member state. This is a good law, because it prevents people from shopping outside their own country just because they can avoid taxes. As US-Americans have noticed a similar method has destroyed many small businesses across the US. The reason was that it was cheaper to buy stuff from Amazon, because they did not have to pay state sales taxes. In addition it is not friendly to the environment to constantly buy stuff from overseas, so it should not be encouraged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_value_added_tax

6. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

In Italy we have to pay VAT when ordering from amazon.co.uk.

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

For EU buyers, Amazon has the advantage or disadvantage of charging the VAT rate of the EU country of residence of the buyer. So I always pay 15%, the lowest rate in the EU, which means the price I pay at checkout is a few % lower than the one listed, depending on the Amazon store I use.

I don't know why other shops are not doing this. Other german stores always charge 19%, the german VAT rate. Maybe it's optional in the EU fiscal rules.

8. imarcq

What I don't quite understand is why Amazon.co.uk doesn't charge the VAT when exporting to Australia - but other sellers do. It doesn't seem to be universal at all. I've often wondered whether you can reclaim the tax levied by an exporter who still charges you the tax. For example I recently spent almost £100 at Howard Jones Online store - but didn't get a 20% price reduction for being outside UK (or EU). I'm pretty sure IIRC that HMV, Play and CDWOW also charge the full rate. But when I buy my multivitamins from Natures Best they do reduce the price. I think the whole thing is pretty inconsistent.

9. MusicForAll

MusicForAll Forum Resident

My Chicago 1969-1978 shipped today for 38.00 and Amazon USA lowered its price to $103.93.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes, I have noticed that some companies in the UK that sell online to non-UK customers have stopped removing the VAT.

The other sellers probably aren't actually charging you VAT. What they are likely doing is keeping that extra 20% for themselves. Unless of course the VAT is shown on the invoice in which case it probably is being collected and remitted to HMRC (assuming they're accounting system works like every other accounting system I've used).

I think that they're just keeping the margin. I know of one company that stopped removing the VAT after they opened a store in the US. They said it was to make the prices similar for all customers. Basically you could pay less even with shipping if you bought from the UK because of that VAT spread. Anyway....

11. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

12. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Amazon.com lowered it's price to $63.54.

13. imarcq

14. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

15. Claude

Claude Senior Member

16. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yes, this is going to be crap. I can't imagine any reason in the world that you would buy this. It is either going to be mastered from digital sources, or else from a needle-drop. The "Not Now" label has no access to the analog (or any) masters.

18. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing this out; I had no idea. I've seen it listed on other sites (SoundStage Direct, etc.) and figured it was a quality release. It's on Not Now Music; dunno much about them.

19. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

Thanks, kwadguy. Good to know.

20. Tjazz

21. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

22. Tjazz

It would be nice, if Pop Market posted the prices. Otherwise, you have to stay-up all night? (or near a computer)

23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Thats no so cool to stay-up all night for some discount-deals and really depends on where you live.
    Last year I got some good deals and did not even require for me to wake up in the middle of the night.

24. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

25. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.