Good Deals, Vinyl, Urban Outfitters

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by bilgewater, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Chef Rawkwoh : Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (2-LP purple vinyl) (don't know what this is?)
    Santigold : Master of My Make-Believe (colored vinyl) (another unknown)
    Pixies : Come on Pilgrim
    Matador : sampler $1.99 discounted to 99 cents.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I was in my local store last night & they had no sale bin , nor any marked & i was not about to start having them scan stuff ...... typical of this store , i have had better luck at other locations .

3. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

(in bold) would have grabbed that one, if I had seen it. :)

4. Tjazz

more
    Notwish : close to glass
    Neko Case : LP + CD
    David Lynch : Big Dream (clear vinyl)
    Frankie Rose (red, orange, & black splatter vinyl)
    Dr Dog : B-Room LP + CD + 7"
    Gogol Boroello : pure vida LP + 7"
    Telekenesis
    White Buffalo : shadow, greys & evil ways (white vinyl)
    Curren$y : Stoned Immaculate (green vinyl)
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs : Mosquito
    Titus Andronicos : local business (red vinyl)
    Devil Makes Three : I'm a stranger
    Hold Steady : Stay Positive
    JJ Doom : Keys to the Kuff
    Todd Rundgren : Hermit
    Sarah Neufeld : Hero Brother
    Coltrane : Ole (2-LP 45rpm)
    Julia Holter : loud city song (2-LP) clear vinyl
    Karen Dalton : It's so hard to know who loves going to love you best
    Interpol : 2-LP (45 rpm)
    Rumer : boys don't cry
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

You got this for $9.99??

I stopped by the one near me and their selection was a small row on the far right side of the vinyl shelf. There wasn't anything interesting besides a Pixies record. Seems either all the good stuff was already sold or this location used the sale to try to unload the crappy LPs.

6. Tjazz

They actually had two. I bought the Sealed one. (with the 50% discount, $5.46) Didn't bother looking at the condition of the other (opened LPs). Santa Monica store.

7. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Anyone know how long this sale runs? I meant to hit up a few UO's this weekend but got tied up…Would love to see if I can grab some more titles at $5 instead of $10...

8. Beholdentonoone

I assume the sale is now over as when I go to the UO home page there is no mention of it and all last week there was a banner on the home page stating "last sale of the summer"…Oh well…happy with what I got for $10 each.

If anyone knows for sure please post here as it would be appreciated!

9. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

The sale in Canada lasted a week I think. It was a bit ahead of the US maybe because our July 4 equivalent is July 1.

10. Tjazz

Sunday was the last day (in the USA).

11. Beholdentonoone

It certainly was fun while it lasted and I'm sure they will do this again as their deals with labels is one way meaning NO RETURNS so they will have to offload some "overstock" at some point...

12. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

They do these sales from time to time but usually they are 30% of reduced items. The stores I go to are pretty bad at keeping on top of reductions so it's great to find out about the $10 deals here. I know it seems like they are unloading overstock but sometimes they restock the same records at full price again. It is a very strange place to buy records but for $5 it's hard to resist.

black sheriff likes this.
  13. Tjazz

Yes, some of those stores had so much stock (vinyl records), that I'm sure no one will be buying them at list price. I even saw some LP box sets. Interesting side note, there were about 100 used LPs in one store. Selling for $12 each. They were each wrapped in plastic. (so you couldn't inspect them) At most of stores, I barely saw anyone looking at the LPs. (let alone buying LPs)

14. Beholdentonoone

How the hell did Amoeba Records open a satellite shop in the big Urban Outfitters in Herald Square here in NYC and NONE OF US noticed…until now!!!

http://blog.urbanoutfitters.com/blog/amoeba_records_herald_square

Summer in the City: Amoeba Music at Herald Square
    [​IMG]

06/17/14 02:00PM

FROM NEW YORK

Excited about the permanent Amoeba Music installation in our newest Herald Square store (1333 Broadway NYC), we spoke to Marc Weinstein, one of the co-founders of Amoeba, to get the scoop on what his brand plans to bring to the Amoeba Music record shop in their first NYC location.

[​IMG]

Amoeba Music in Herald Square
    Can you tell us a bit about how Amoeba started, and what it’s like to have grown from a small place to become such a big entity?
    Amoeba started because two record store geeks got together to create a business that would be the closest thing to a mecca for record collectors, carrying as much music to do the overall subject the justice it deserves and a place that truly celebrates humankind's most "accessible" art. Our idea and our "style" quickly made many people enthusiastic customers and we grew exponentially in our first ten years of existence. Expanding our reach has been most gratifying as so many have been able to avail themselves of what we offer and have the next best thing to a big museum fully devoted to music: A place where you can actually buy the stuff and bring all that love home with you.

How has your taste in music changed and evolved over time?
    My taste has only grown broader and wider in my 38 years in the retail record biz having been exposed to many new genres, scenes, and artists along the way. Mostly because we all work around other music collectors and experts all day, everyday, and get constant firsthand accounts of cool new stuff to check out—with much of this wisdom coming from the customers themselves. I am much more interested in jazz and "world" folk music than I was when I was younger. American "roots" music, too. I also now particularly love "experimental" and "improvisational" music, the stuff where amazing musicians go completely out on a limb and expose all their wackiest ideas.

What are three words you would use to describe Amoeba and its staff?Love, passion and personality.

[​IMG]
    Amoeba Music in Herald Square
    What do you think are the best albums of all time?
    My "top" favorites would truly number in the hundreds and would include hit records as well as some super obscure titles. OK, I'll try. The Beatles' Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart's Club Band;Sun Ra's Atlantis;Pere Ubu's The Modern Dance;Miles Davis' Nefertiti; and Led Zeppelin 4.

What will you include in your curated selection at Herald Square?
    It will be a cross section of all popular genres—a small attempt to distill the half million used on out-of-print LPs that we have and hopefully a selection that will inspire people to delve deeper into the experience of listening to LPs... LPs that will show off how great the experience of bringing home something new to check out can be!

Can you talk to us a bit about selling records in California vs. New York?
    For one thing, California has always had a love affair with records, with more record stores "per capita" than anywhere in the U.S. New York City might have come in a close second, at least until recently when real estate prices made it downright prohibitive for independent stores to exist. Like New York, Los Angeles is a 24-hour city and we have lines in our store right up until our 11pm closing time every night. NYC and L.A. have so much in common culturally with such utter diversity and an amazing array of art and music-related institutions. Also, like NYC, Los Angeles is home to so much media, we're almost always a part of the hype surrounding a given release which adds a lot of excitement. Both places are among the few places a store like Amoeba can thrive with such a feeling of constant cultural "critical mass"!

See more from Herald Square here!

Davidmk5 likes this.
  15. Tjazz

I couldn't tell from the article if Amoeba is running the whole music portion in Urban Outfitters or just adding some LPs. My guess would be the used $12 LPs are from Amoeba. So Amoeba can dump the cheap used LPs into Urban Outfitters. Most of the $12 LPs I saw, would probably sell for about $3 at Amoeba. (some for a dollar)

What will you include in your curated selection at Herald Square?
    It will be a cross section of all popular genres—a small attempt to distill the half million used on out-of-print LPs that we have and hopefully a selection that will inspire people to delve deeper into the experience of listening to LPs... LPs that will show off how great the experience of bringing home something new to check out can be!

16. Tjazz

Article from the web

http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/new...l-racks-for-urban-outfitters-new-nyc-location

Amoeba Music to curate vinyl racks for Urban Outfitters’ new NYC location
    By Robby Ritacco , 20 May 2014, 19:22 BST

[​IMG]
    Amoeba Records (one of few remaining adonis names as US independent record stores go) and Urban Outfitters have announced a new joint project, which will bring the currently California-only music institution to New York City’s Herald Square.

The clothing retailer’s massive new 57,000 sq. ft. “lifestyle destination” in NYC’s Herald Square (located on Broadway between 35th and 36th) will feature exclusive vinyl releases from Amoeba Records. According to a press release, Amoeba will stock “a curated assortment of over 400 vintage vinyl titles that can only be found in Urban Outfitters Herald Square.” The new location will also be working with Chicago coffee company Intelligentsia, who earlier this month released St Vincent’s signature coffee blend.

17. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sign o' the times, indeed.

18. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

I noticed Used LPs in one store in Toronto too. I wonder if they are actually coming from Amoeba as well.

19. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident Thread Starter

The used LP option would be interesting. The Ann Arbor UO store is perfectly situated at the most money-making and highest-rent corner in town (Liberty & State, right by U. Mich central campus). They stock a LOT of vinyl. The recent sale had some good stuff, and it was not heavily picked over (except by a few old folks like me). I can't imagine them trying to sell more vinyl. OR maybe they're realizing that charging over $20 per LP (as most are) even to students from top 5% of US income distribution is just not workin'. But will the used vinyl be any cheaper, or will it be carefully "curated" (ha) toward high-demand items like Ludwig-mastered Zeppelin and whatnot? And there is a world-class used record (and cd and book) store just two blocks (Encore Music on Liberty St.) where most used LPs are under $10. Hmm.

As is much discussed elsewhere on this forum, the customer base is made of "digital natives" and a clientele habituated to getting their music for "free" online. The vinylists are a tiny minority among them. I wonder how many customers are willing to pay $21.99 +tax for a 12x12" poster (record cover) of the exquisitely sad Lana del Rey, the siren of boredom with late capitalism.

Don't mean to lose this thread's purpose, am just sitting here spinning the wheels and meditating on this just-past sale and what it means for UO, vinylists, digital life, and the future of the human race. Just sittin' here thinkin'....

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  20. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

This reminded me. When I was waiting in line with a big stack of records in my hand there were a couple of students (for lack of a better term) behind me. One asked the other where their friend was. "Oh, he's over there looking at the books." The other one replied "those aren't books. Those are vinyls."

21. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

Anyone get anything good on sale here lately?

22. Tjazz

There were six bins of $9.99 ($10) clearance LPs.

Several Tim Buckley HAPPY SAD, Dum Dum Girls, Sonny & Cher, Wilco, Sly Johnson, and others.

There was also a DMX 2-LP, gold vinyl. (I might buy just because of the gold vinyl) :laugh::winkgrin:

I picked up;
    Connor Oberst
    Art Blakley
    Peter Gabriel
    Thin Lizzy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  23. Tjazz

Also saw;
    Nina Persson : Animal Heart (several copies)
    Skid Row
    Kansas S/T
    Matmos : Marriage of the True Minds

24. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

What Wilco was it?

I have seen a few lately:
    Animal Collective
    M.I.A.
    Andrew Bird
    The Black Lips
    and some stuff I can't remember!

25. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Yesterday I was able to stop by Urban Outfitters at Dadeland Mall here in Miami. I didn't see any clearance records. When I asked the girl that worked there she confirmed and told me "we don't have any vinyls on clearance". :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.