Good news for Rega DAC owners (and potential owners)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Puma Cat, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnotherDeadHero

AnotherDeadHero Forum Resident

Yeah, but other than the lack of high resolution capability I LOVE the Sonos.

I'm a vinyl guy mostly. Neil Young's archives blew my mind sound wise though and made me curious to explore more of its type.

2. AnotherDeadHero

Hi all.

Bumping this one as my original question re: a compatible external sound card for using to feed the Rega DAC with high res files has been negated as I've moved the computer upstairs and too far away from my hi fi for that to be possible anymore.

However, now that the options in terms of portable players that can handle high res has increased I'm keen to get some advice on what might suit me in that respect.

Simply put. Could I use a portable player to feed high res files into the Rega DAC? If so, which ones?

Any help is appreciated.

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yes, but not sure of which ones are better than others. In any event, you will need a digital output and that in itself is an uncommon feature in portable players and so will narrow the selection. Personally, I'd look at desk top models fitted with (ideally coax) digital output. You might find quite a few DVD and Blu-ray players with optical digital out and inputs for USB (thus flash memory sticks), card slots, and streaming capability. Plus those will play optical discs. On a side note, Rega has released the new version Rega DAC-R with all inputs, including the USB input at 24bit/192khz.
    -Bill

4. AnotherDeadHero

Thanks Bill!

It looks like the Fiio X3 has a digital output but I've read somewhere that it downsources anything 24/192 down to 24/96.

The DVD/Blu-Ray idea might be worth looking into although I don't have a TV in my hi-fi room.

So, my search for a straightforward way of playing high res files continues . . . I guess I maybe need to wait for technology to advance a little.

5. mwicks

mwicks Forum Resident

I'm currently using a "Breeze Audio" CM6631 USB adapter to connect a computer to the Rega DAC. It has coax and optical outs and outputs up to 24/192. Got it off ebay for ~$40 and it's been working well after the initial hunt for drivers. It's connected to a Windows 7 PC running & JRiver/Foobar (WASAPI output on both), playing FLAC files.

6. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Try to find a used Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 or new iFi Audio Micro iLink USB/SPDIF converter. Then get another cheap laptop with Windows 7 or higher and JRiver MC 20.

iFi iLink = $249
    Cheap Laptop = $189
    JRiver = $50

7. AnotherDeadHero

Thank beowulf. I've considered the laptop option before but it's something smaller and more simplistic I'm aiming towards.

I've decided, after much research, to explore the idea of using a Raspberry Pi fitted with a Hi Fi berry Digi+ which, in theory, I should be able to connect to the Rega DAC and use to listen to 24/96 files.

Cross your fingers for me!

beowulf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.