Good Record Shops in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by sf74, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sf74

sf74 Active Member Thread Starter

I'm going to be going on vacation in Hawaii (Honolulu) in a few weeks. I know there are a few forumites in Hawaii so could they (or anybody else for that matter) suggest some decent music shops that I could visit?

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Where's Kym?

I wonder if Kym cleared out all the CD shops before he left Hawaii. :D

3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

When on vacation, leave your day-to-day hobbies at home, along with your day-to-day job.

4. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

If I was in HI, I could find something better to do than look for records, that's for sure.

5. KeithH

A whole lotta thread-crappin' goin' on... :sigh:

I don't see where sf74 said that he was only going to hit music shops while in Hawaii. What's wrong with spending some time searching for hard-to-find music? You never know what you might find in a new location, so why waste the opportunity?

Rodz42 likes this.
  6. sf74

sf74 Active Member Thread Starter

thanks for that. and bringing this back to the top in hopes of some friendly help

7. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I remember being there about 8 years ago...

Near the big (I forgot the name?) shopping center, there was a little record store nearby.

Usually, the best system is to check the latest phone book to see what record stores advertise. Give them a call, to check their hours and see if they are still in business. With the phone book and a local map, you can mark-off the spots you want to visit. Usually they are in high traffic areas or college towns.

With the internet, you can probably look online for phone book entries.

8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

I liked Borders in Oahu.

Victoria Ward Centre
    1200 Ala Moana Blvd
    Honolulu, HI 96814
    (corner of Queen Street and Ala Moana Boulevard, at the Diamond Head end of Ward Centre)

see: http://www.bordersstores.com => store locator

9. cwon

cwon Active Member

Borders has a good selection, but they're pricey.
    There are several Tower Records, the main store is across the street from the Ala Moana shopping center.
    I think there's a Sam Goody's in the shopping center.
    Out of downtown Honolulu, you can check the Circuit City store (I've noticed some interesting imports there) and a used LP, CD place called Jelly's out in Pearl City.
    Those are the main ones I can think of.

10. KeithH

I can't speak for sf74, but my guess is that he is looking for local shops with used CDs and/or LPs, where he might find some rarities. Borders, Sam Goody, and Tower have in-print CDs he can readily find in his area.

11. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Borders is way overpriced. There used to be a cool little used CD shop right off Keeamoku St. (near Tower records). In the last year or so they've closed shop and haven't resurfaced.

"Cheapos" near University is hit and miss, I wasn't too impressed on my last visit.

Your best bet is Jelly's in Aiea. They've got some unique stuff in there, including lots of vinyl. Decent selection of used books too, 98-023 Hekaha St Aiea, Hawaii.

Of course when it comes to record stores, particuarly the ones that carry used CD's and vinyl, I have very high standards, being a former Zia records employee (http://ziarecords.com/Home) and all.

12. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Cheapo's is no longer there, Tyler. It closed down a few months ago.

There are only four used CD shops on Oahu:

- Jelly's, as previously mentioned. The only decent used CD shop in Hawaii, period. Good selection of CDs AND vinyl.

- Hungry Ear (in Kailua, on the windward side of Oahu). If you go, please tell Luke that Kym says hello from Washington state!

- Rainbow Books & Records, two locations: on University Avenue near UH, and a smaller location not worth visiting in Aiea near Pearl Harbor.

Don't even bother with the pawn shops; many don't sell used CDs.

The island of Maui has one shop: Requests, in Wailuku.

The island of Hawaii (aka The Big Island) has one shop: CD Wizard, in Hilo.

Pretty dire, I'm sad to say. :(

13. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Yeah, must be rough! :laugh:

Sorry, you guys are just an easy target living in Honolulu and all!

14. Kym

Kym Former Resident

You have no idea how expensive it is to live there, do you?

15. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

No idea; it was just a joke. You guys surely must be used to the ribbing by now!

16. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Hate to be negative about any independent record store but I wouldn't get excited about Jellys (the Aiea one). I don't have any stores to compare it to apart fro Boston in the US and DU in Tokyo but there isn't much if you are just looking for LPs. I guess you might find a gem here and there but maybe I have been spoilt by living in Japan (?). There was also something strange to me. All the LPs seemed to be in jackets made of thick card that I am not used to. I wonder if this is typical of US LPs (?)

17. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Sad about the situation in Hawaii.

When I lived there in the early 70s..there were a prolifery of record stores.

My favorite was Records Hawaii where they also were the main suppliers of concert tickets. However, the Navy Exchange in Pearl Harbor was really good too. Sailors bought LOTS of records.

As with many other things..times have changed into sad states of affairs. :(

18. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Just an update for anyone who cares about CD and vinyl shopping in Hawaii (Oahu):

Hungry Ear moved from Kailua to Honolulu near the UH Manoa campus. Great staff, small store.

Jelly's is still in Aiea in the harbor shopping area. Another Jelly's location is in Kaka'ako. Big store, staff varies from friendly to snobbish.

Obviously no more Tower, Sam Goody's, etc.

For used CD's, you can try Book Off locations in Pearlridge and Ala Moana (inside Shirokiyas). Staff is ambivalent. There may be other locations I haven't seen yet.

marcfeld69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.