Good records no longer on CD.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Sep 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

This is a sequel to BeatleFred's post. What albums are currently out-of-print that make you stop and exclaim, "WHY!?"

Let me start with a very obvious choice: George Harrison's entire Dark Horse catalog.

2. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Yeah, that is unbelievable really. Hell, even Travelling Wilburys Vol 1 is OOP.

3. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

BACK IN '72 and BRAND NEW MORNING (Bob Seger)

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I was never to score this on CD ever but this was issued on CD at one time: The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Dirt, Silver and Gold" compilation which was originally released as a 3 LP set, and reissued by One Way as a 2 CD set for a short time in the 90s, it is a compilation of highlights from their albums from the first 10 years of their career. Their albums have generally always been spotty although the and "Uncle Charlie and His Dog Teddy" and "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" albums from 1970 and 1972, respectively, are classics in their own right and are essential albums to any country-rock, traditional country, folk and/or bluegrass collection. The 20 Years of Dirt and More Great Dirt comps on WB do feature the majority of the radio hits and the best songs from their more mainstream years.

5. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Rosie Vela – Zazu
    Rolling Stones – Sucking In The Seventies
    Buddy Holly, Bill Haley – From The Original Master Tapes
    Peter Wolf – Lights Out
    The Smithereens – Beauty and Sadness and Green Thoughts
    V/A – Todd Rundgren: An Elpee's Worth Of Productions

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Martin Briley-The Salt In My Tears

7. Smafdy

Smafdy Guest

Colin Blunstone early solo records
    Emitt Rhodes- Emitt Rhodes
    DCC stuff!!!

8. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I could name countless little known late 80s/early 90s metal bands, but the Traveling Wilburys CDs have got to be the most sought after out of print CDs out there. I see bootlegs of them all the time and that was BEFORE George passed away.

9. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

Robin Trower - "Twice Removed From Yesterday" & "Live"
    The Crusaders - "Images"
    Jimi Hendrix - "In The West" (import)
    The Kinks - "Kinks-Size/Kinkdom"
    Dennis Wilson - "Pacific Ocean Blue"
    Temptations - "Wish It Would Rain"
    Leon Russell - "Asylum Choir"

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The Richard & Linda Thompson catalog, released on CD by Hannibal, is out-of-print and commanding big sums on eBay and half.com.

Now there's a catalog S&P should acquire the rights to: solid fan base without being of interest to the majors.

11. sgb

sgb Senior Member

This is one that Audio Fidelity ought to remaster for SACD! Volume 3 too.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

musicfan,

i don't think either of these were ever on cd. 'ramblin gamblin man' 'mongrel' 'smokin op's' and 'seven' were.

renny

13. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

Dennis Wilson--"Pacific Ocean Blue"

14. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

Joan Armatrading - "To the Limit"

I've been looking for this title for 6 months and no luck yet. :-(

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Re: Re: Good records no longer on CD.

16. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

The two Eno box sets, Vocals and Instrumentals.

17. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I'll second these, and add the question, why are these out of print, and the way inferior Blow Up still available?

18. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

You are correct. I was thinking about albums that should be released on CD.

19. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

And how about bonus tracks of the extended versions of Handle With Care, The End Of The Line and their version of Del Shannon's Runaway all of which only appeared on import 12" and CD singles.

20. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The A&M Classics CD series. They are far from perfect, but A&M put them out as (mostly) CD-only collections -- a few ended up on cassette, but none were issued on vinyl. They were a 25th anniversary tribute that were issued in 1987-88 and consisted of 27 volumes, each dedicated to an A&M artist. PolyGram kept most of them in print into the mid-1990s, but with the Universal (Unilateral) takeover, all 27 volumes are now out of print.

This year is A&M's 40th anniversary, but it's been all but ignored by its corporate swallower.

21. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I think a lot of them have been replaced by 20th Century Masters Millenium Collections. These releases have replaced many GH collections that were probably originally available on vinyl back in the day.

22. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

George's entire catalog (Apple and Dark Horse) is in the works to be remastered, with bonus tracks. These discs also include the Traveling Wilburys' titles.

23. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Not really, because the Classics series had more tracks and were much longer than the Millennium Collection CDs.

The 20th Century Masters thingies are a completely different animal. They average 10 to 12 tracks each, regardless whether the artist deserves 12 tracks or whether they deserve multiple box sets. Sometimes one of these CDs might use a single edit or mix that is otherwise tough to find, but otherwise these things are no substitute for a good greatest-hits set.

24. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

There are a number of great compilations that are sadly out of print in America today. A few could use better remastering, but for song selection, they are hard to beat. If Steve could remaster the few that could use some help...

Dave Bartholomew - The Spirit of New Orleans: The Genius of Dave Bartholomew
    Chuck Berry - The Great Twenty-Eight (the best one disc survey of Berry ever; Oh, for a Steve version of this one...)
    David Bowie - Singles: 1969-1993
    James Brown - Solid Gold: 30 Golden Hits
    Sam Cooke - The Man and His Music (Another one I'd love to hear Steve do; sound is not the best, but song selection kills any available one-disc best of, IMHO)
    Elvis Costello - Girls Girls Girls
    Buddy Holly - From the Original Master Tapes (a gimmie)
    The Jam - Snap!
    The Police - Greatest Hits (Beats Every Breath You Take any day)
    Elvis Presley - The Complete Sun Sessions (for those who like this one a bit scruffy and do not want the extra disc largely of non-Sun sessions material on Sunrise; boy if Steve could do this one!)
    The Who - Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy (another gimmie)

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

25. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I didn't say they were a subsitute, but they have indeed replaced some GH/BO packages along the way (i.e. the original package is sent to that used record store in the sky). But, I do agree that some of these artists should have a CD Single at best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.