Good used vinyl/CD stores in Washington D.C.?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Gardo, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xtianDC

xtianDC Forum Resident

Recently, I've started doing a new "round" that includes the DC shops: Crooked Beat & Red Onion in Adams Morgan, Som Records on 14th St. and finishing it off with Second Story Books and the newly re-opened DJ Hut in Dupont Circle. Second Story doesn't yield nearly as many finds, but is worth a drop in every now and then. DJ Hut only has new vinyl and specializes in dance, hip-hop, reggae, etc. But they also have a wall of recent reissues that cover most genres. And the guys in there are incredibly nice.

Also, when i'm in town I like to hit Melody Records in Dupont. They don't carry vinyl, but their new cd selection is fantastic. Dare I say, it might be the best in town.

2. crassus515

crassus515 Forum Resident

I've heard some about Som Records, but haven't been. Seems from their website they specialize in soul, reggae, dance, etc. Do they have any rock/pop/alt stuff or is it pretty focused? Thanks!

EDIT: also, how are crooked beat and red onion as far as selection goes? any new vinyl there?

3. xtianDC

xtianDC Forum Resident

Here's a quick review of each:

Som Records: Small, vinyl only store. He has some new records, mostly of the indie variety, but the vast majority is used, priced $4/5 and up. I wouldn't say it's necessarily slanted towards soul, reggae, dance, but he obviously puts a lot of care and attention to those sections. (I believe the owner dj's a monthly brazilian night at St. Ex, but I could be getting the details wrong. Been meaning to check it out.) The rock section is bigger than any of those, but only slightly. Also has a good selection of 45's/7inches. If you're looking for rock/pop/alt stuff, you'll find plenty here. Also, has a small section dubbed (I assume as homage to Fela Kuti) "Expensive Sh#t!".

Crooked Beat: Good sized store that's about half vinyl and half cd's. Definitely slanted towards the indie stuff. Biggest selection of new vinyl in DC that I've seen (comparable to Orpheus). The used section is also pretty large and has fairly frequent turnover. If you're looking for rock/pop/alt stuff primarly, I have a feeling this would be your favorite. (Also, after you visit Crooked Beat, go two doors down to Smash. It's slanted towards punk, but they've got a pretty large used record section. You'd be amazed what you'll find here; only hitch is that it seems their "grading system" is not especially discriminate. I can deal with beat up records, but not at these prices.)

Red Onion: A used record, cd and book store. Smallest selection of the three, but they've always got something decent. Turnover seems to be pretty frequent. No new vinyl. Big rock section, but also has some soul, jazz, reggae, country, and folk.

All three (ok, four) are worthwhile in my book. Especially now that Orpheus is leaving us.

4. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

thanks, xtiandc. That's great info!

5. xtianDC

xtianDC Forum Resident

6. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Ditto. Any weeknight works for me, or on Saturday or Sunday afternoon as Norm proposed. If I understand correctly, Norm is back this Sunday, March 2. So a date after that, I assume. How about March 8?

7. rockfeat

rockfeat Forum Farmer

Count me in too! I went there for the first time last Saturday with Norm and I'm still spinning the results!

8. crassus515

crassus515 Forum Resident

Appreciate it, xtiandc. That's invaluable info, esp since I live outside the city and wouldn't want to waste time making my way over to places and have them turn out to be duds. I'll def be heading to Adam's Morgan sometime soon. :righton:

9. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I was just in the neighborhood last night (okay, yesterday morning at around 4AM) and he's got a poster-sized enlargement of this article in the window of the store now.

Ed

10. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I bought Felt's Goldmine Trash LP there ... in 1988!

11. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Saturday March 8th is good for me. I can be there around two in the afternoon and could do lunch before or some dinner after. Beer? :cheers:

Cheers-
    N/t5

12. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Great, I'll be there. I'm in favor of beer, too. Eat before or after? Either way works for me. Maybe before, just in case people want to leave at differing times from shopping the store ?

13. teaser5

14. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

Yep, I saw that yesterday when I swung by. Actually, the timing of the visit turned out to be perfect because there was a film crew in the front and not 5 minutes later they approached me as I was flipping through the 'H' section (and doing everything but using Vaseline and a crowbar to get a Bobby Hutcherson LP out of the seriously tight Liberty-era Blue Note inner sleeve! :D ) to ask if they could do an interview...and off we went! It was about 15 minutes or so. Funny thing is, it was for AARP tv! :laugh: In order to offset the visuals of yet another old record store biting the dust, I tried to get in as many plugs as possible for the thriving online vinyl communities and all the new HQ vinyl coming out of AP, Music Matters, Classic Recs etc...plus the wide variety of quality turntables being manufactured and so forth...and of course had fun sticking a knife in Mp3s and the whole compression 'thing' ....heehee. You always kick yourself later for not having mentioned 'x' or 'y'....but, hey....ya do what ya can, right?

15. serge

serge Forum Resident

New record store.. opened about four-five months ago..in Arlington (off exit 69 on I66)..

A LOT of JAZZ... can be a bit pricey.. has listening stations... also rock etc...

Went there last week and bought Ellington's Afro Bossa on reprise tricolor for 10.99.. love the album

thought I'd pass the tip

http://www.bluegroovesoundz.blogspot.com/

Not sure why this thread has died practically... Joe's Record Paradise has moved to Silver Spring..

There are now two CD Game Exchanges left.. the traditional one in Silver Spring and one in Takoma Park...

so stores for vinyl in DC area that I now of curretnly (please add)

Falls Church: CD Cellar
    Arlington: CD Cellar, Blue Groove Soundz
    DC: SOM Records, Red Onion, SMASH, Crooked Beat, Idle Times (hardly worth it..), Melody (back to carrying lots of new vinyl)
    Silver Spring: Joe'S Record Paradise, CD Game Exchange
    Takoma Park; CD Game Exchange
    Rockville: Second Story Books Warehouse (hardly worth it)

16. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

What about the one in college park?

17. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

The CD Depot? They have a lot of CDs that are new. Only a fraction of their inventory is used. Prices are not that cheap, but its a big room and they do have lots of stuff.

18. Going to be in D.C. some in the near future, and wondering used CD places there are that are accessible by the Metro. Most of this thread is well over 2 years old (and older), so any updates would be appreciated. Thanks!!

19. teaser5

There's a few within walking distance of the Dupont Circle stop. Sorry if this post came after your trip.
    Cheers-
    Norm/t5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.