Goodbye CDs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by trusso, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trusso

trusso Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am still a holdout regarding cds. I even bought the recent McCartney Ram release because of my Beatles completist issues. When I moved last year, I realized that the 1000 cds I have are a pain in the ***. All of my friends have already dumped their cds. I hate to do that but I think I am about to take the plunge. An ipod is not the answer for me. If it does not hold my entire collection, it is of no use to me. I want a way to rip every single cd and store them. I would imagine I will use a NAS or two seperate 2TB drives. What is everyone else doing? I hate the thought of digital, non tangible files but I guess that is what is inevitible. It looks like cds have no real value as far as selling my collection. The thought of getting $1 or 2 each makes me rather want to throw them away than "giving" them to buyers.

Is there any value to Beatles silver "imports"? I have tons of them from the 80s and 90s.

2. xiaNaix

xiaNaix Forum Resident

Squeezebox Touch. It will change your life.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You'd rather throw CDs in the trash than sell them for $1 each - or just GIVE them to people? :confused:

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Keeping all my CDs!

5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Buying more CDs.

6. bonnerj

bonnerj Forum Resident

And even more CDs. It's a sickness.

7. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Keeping all 5,000 of my CDs!!!

8. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Keeping all mine and buying more and more and more...mulitiple copies that is, various masterings. :)

9. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Are you speaking about yourself, or joking about collecting CDs?

I continue to buy new CDs and DVDs of bands that I'm finding and are selling DVDs of their videos. It's hardly a sickness! :)

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

What are we doing? Well, I've ripped a few of my CD's but I still keep the CD - I only get rid of stuff I don't want and if I don't want it, I'm not going to rip it either.

Even if I was going to rip all of them and just listen to the FLAC files, I still wouldn't get rid of most of them. The idea of buying a CD collection just to rip and sell just seems too mercenary to me. But if I was going to do that, I'd be happy to get $1-$2 dollars for most of them. You wanna buy 2000 CD's, rip them to your computer, and then expect to sell them and make a profit on the whole deal? That's just wrong. Throwing them out and denying their use to anyone else is even more wrong. What other product can you buy, re-sell for any amount of money, no matter how modest, and still retain their personal use afterward? You ought to be grateful for the $2 you get, not grudging the fact that you won't get $19.99.

My advice is, rip the CD's to the format of your choice and store them somewhere. CD's are on the way out now, and you're not going gain much by selling them, and nothing by throwing them out. If you're so hung up on recouping their value, wait about 10 years, and then maybe more of them may have collectible value. When people can no longer go to their local mall and buy CD's, some people will be willing to pay real money for them.

SuntoryTime and SteelyTom like this.
  11. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I have a Squeezebox Touch too, but I'm keeping my CDs. Not sure about re-sale value, but they have value to me.

12. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I have 3200 titles (more than 7000 of the shiny little discs) and I'm keeping them all and buying new ones. I love my CD's, jewel cases, liner notes and all. No way in hell am I ripping them...don't get me wrong I'll pick up a DAC one day and buy some new music in other digital formats but my CD's are going nowhere.

13. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Second that!
    Squeezebox user since 2006. Bought a Touch back in December. CD's are all in storage now.

14. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

I like my CD's and have been quite fond of the format from the start. I'm not a fan of the jewel box as I much prefer the cardboard double gatefold, but ya gotta take the bad with the good. I'm bullish!

15. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I really don't understand why anyone would have a hang-up on the tangibleness of CD's. A compact disc is just a way of storing digital files. So is a hard drive. Are CD's more stable than hard drives? Sure. But a hard drive with back-ups is much better than a CD without a copy.

For me one of the big questions in deciding whether to get rid of CD's in favor of files on a drive is whether the notes and artwork are meaningful, and whether they can be replaced with a digital copy. Whenever they can I'd much prefer the files and a .pdf of the notes, because then you can have it all with you wherever you go without much trouble. This is why I love downloads from my favorite classical music sites, hyperion-records.co.uk, theclassicalshop.net, and eclassical.net. Without notes though I'm loath to give up many of my CD's, and I'm not going to photocopy 10,000 booklets -- that's just too tedious.

We've already had any number of threads on the board in which members debate whether getting rid of one's CD's after copying them is right or wrong, lawful or unlawful, etc. No doubt we're all sick of reading each other's opinions on the subject. I'm getting sick even of reading my own. :) While they may raise interesting academic and legal questions, as a practical matter answering those questions is not important. You're not going to get in trouble making a personal copy for yourself of CD's you've properly acquired.

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Read this long thread:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=141219&highlight=ripping+your+cds

17. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

buying them up as fast as I can. Especially ones before the whole brickwall mastering started...mid 90s or so...

andy749, John, Sax-son and 1 other person like this.
  18. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

By dumped....do you mean throw away? You can send your "unwanted" CD's to ME!:D

Call me old(or old-fashioned), but I busted my hump trying to salvage as many CD's humanly possible from my flooded house after Katrina. If it looked good, it went into the salvage bag.

19. bonnerj

bonnerj Forum Resident

LOL. I was referring to both. It's a good kind of sickness :)

Actually, I'm filling in some holes in my collection with stuff I never owned, as well as replacing as much as I can of current stuff with better masterings. Also, I missed the entire DCC train, and I've vowed not to let that happen with Steve's new stuff on Audio Fidelity, Analogue Productions, etc. At least to the extent that my wallet can take it :)

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I still buy VHS tapes and audio cassettes if the material is something I want.

All formats deserve love. :angel:

stereoptic and BigGame like this.
  21. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I hear ya and am with you my friend!

Fortunately I've been a member long enough to have bought all the DCC, AFs and APs that have come out that I enjoyed to upgrade my collection to better mastered CDs. Enjoy the collecting of all the CDs you want, my friend! :wave:

22. And I'm buying more!!

23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

You might want to visit this site

www.computeraudiophile.com

First take a look at the FAQ. you can see the thread headers deal we various subject regarding the issues you will need to know.

Orthonormal likes this.
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

what always get lost in these media discussions is HARDWARE. I'm sure there are scores of guys here who have spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on their CD players. If you spent ten years finding the perfect player for your ears, why the hell would you throw out the media that feeds it?

25. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

I have 6,000 LPs, so keeping a few thousand Cds is NOTHING compared to 6,000 Lps on shelves.
    To keep the listening room freed up, i keep the Lps in a bedroom.
    I have the Cd shelving in hallways to maximize use of space.
    I just bought another 1,000 CD shelving unit. For my 1,000 Jazz CDs. :righton:

I have zero plans on ripping my CDs or doing anything besides just playing them. :edthumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.