Goodbye CDs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by trusso, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

There should be a place locally.

2. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Check your local Best Buy. Mine has a recycling center out front and they will take CD cases.

3. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

Yep. And who would of guess 17 years ago certain older CD's would go for over $100 each. When CD's go the vinyl way it turns to supply and demand. A lot of us will feel it in the pocketbooks and some forced to adapt to downloaded music.

4. motorcitydave

That's why I'm snapping up as many LPs as I can right now. :cool:

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

My daughters don't even download lots of their music - it's "on the cloud". I've been working overtime on a transaction involving a major company that is in financial difficulty because of the decreased use of laptops and desktops, and the the surge in smartphones/tablets and the use of the cloud. Trends move so fast . . .

6. laynecobain

That is where it will all be eventually--with the majority--cloud storage. My wife uses it, I have it and have used it when needed. It's certainly nice and convenient.

And Apple just announced they're building a huge cloud service operations here in Reno, NV. It's huge as this economy here has been really hit by the housing market and jobs are sparse. It's like GM building a new plant in the 70's. Every is excited because they love this small city in a valley surrounded by beautiful mountains, Lake Tahoe, etc. But all anyone can think of is the seedy downtown area--which no one really goes to.

7. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I lived there in 2004. Can't disagree with your assessment.

8. laynecobain

Been here 6 years and love it. Nothing what I expected. Thankfully my job has nothing to do with the economy here. Apple will bring in more companies from the Bay Area.

9. Goodbye CD players for me. Not CD's though. Just ripped and stored on Hard Drives, or SSD in the future. The less moving parts the better.

I've been buying up a lot from a certain Amazon seller stupidly cheaply. Mainly ones from the 80s early 90s if possible.

10. motorcitydave

Ok, so you utilize cds as back up.

11. Yup, I began ripping them a while back. But as yet haven't got a streaming device. When I do it will be fed into a DAC. Thats the plan. I know, pretty late to the party! I'm currently changing my whole system.

I'll still keep the CD's, like a lot of people. As they're good for reference purposes. Plus a lot have got nice booklets, are rare and valuable. Or they've been around me so long, I can't bare to let them go! :)

12. I am slowly ripping my CD's to flac files, and storing them on HD's, but I have no intentions of parting with my CD's afterwards.

13. motorcitydave

Cool, sounds good.

14. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I have long felt those album sales numbers to be wrong, or at the very least, skewed towards major label new releases of Top 40 crappola.

I ship 3000+ orders per year (many with multiple items), have owned two retail stores, and have been doing so since 1999. And I am just one retailer...what about the companies that are REALLY moving units?

No industry trade organization has ever asked about how many of a particular item any of my locations have sold since about 2001.

Is any vinyl release selling in the millions of copies? No, but there are many selling in the tens of thousands and those numbers continue to aggregate. I still sell Radiohead and Wilco albums every month, for example.

Now whether the OP wants to keep his collection is more of a philosophical question, rather than an indictment of what may or may not be selling.

15. trusso

trusso Forum Resident Thread Starter

I began going through my cds last night. This is gonna be tough. Nearly 25 years of collecting these things make it difficult to discard. This is so weird. I have not played one of these in many, many years, yet the thought of getting rid of them really is problematic, as if there is an emotional attachment to each. Just looking at the covers bring me back to the day I bought them and all of the things that were going on in my life. I fell as if by parting with them, I am throwing away the great memories that went along with them. There is something so wrong with that statement. I can put them in wallets but I am a stickler for packaging so that bothers me too. I think I need to go toa therapist. Never saw one before but it looks like me parting with anything (lps, cds, magazines, etc) is like tearing out an emotional memory from the pages of my life. Oh boy. I feel as if I am giving up one of my kids to an orphanage. That is a twisted connection when I think of the importance of throwing out Henley's Building the Perfect Beast CD. I dont listen to it. I just like knowing it is there. For years and years. No desire to open it. Just like knowing that I can hear Boys of Summer if I need to. WHich of course, I will never NEED to.

16. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

While we all tire of certain albums - I have no problem identifying tired stuff and getting rid of it. And I have been collecting since 1983 :)

However - if you can freely admit that you have no desire whatsoever to listen to specific albums in your collection...but still cannot part with them - tis a very odd connection.

It's either time to let those tired ones go to someone who will enjoy them or maybe..

VP

17. bonnerj

bonnerj Forum Resident

It was tough for me too, but once you start it gets easier. You just need to remind yourself that if you haven't listened to a CD in years, you need to get rid of it.

However, that's not to say that I don't still feel that emotional tug you describe. I'm about to go on a major purge of my collection, and weed out stuff that I never listen to anymore. I'm sure there are many CDs that I will feel the same way you do about Henley's Building the Perfect Beast.

18. Tom Dennehy

Tom Dennehy Member

19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

So, when did you buy these CDs? Best thing to consider is getting them into the hands of someone who will treasure them.

My PM account is available.

20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

The figures I quoted are approximates that I have read a couple of different times but I fully accept that those figures may not represent or fully represent the smaller business and therefore the actual amounts may be significantly greater. However even if they were 10X higher they still are dwarfed by CDs and downloads but again a valid point on your part.

21. cc43fan

cc43fan New Member

Wow this thread is a long read. I'll toss in my $.02. I bought an off-lease business machine, installed Windows 2k3, and made a RAID 1 configuration. I've got a total of 5TB and a 40k (80% FLAC) song library. The RAID handles my need to backup and I run three different music applications. Asset, Firefly, and Logitech for the various devices in the house.

It's interesting to think that it doesn't take much before the data is worth more than the hardware. Yep, I couldn't imagine trying to replace my collection. We've actually added the server and all of it's data (about 500gb of various files, pics, etc) to an insurance rider to handle anything catastrophic.

22. motorcitydave

I can see your point, but in the end they're material things. Don't let them rule your life. That's my advice to you.

23. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident

+1. I just put 'em all into boxes (Really Useful Boxes from Office Depot are the perfect size) which go down into the garage for long-term storage.

24. trusso

I purchased many of them as they were released. I bought lots of older stuff as time went on. I do not think I bought a new cd in nearly 10 years other than Beatles or solo re-releases. There is nothing new I even like these days. If I were to buy anything now, it would be to fill in the gaps.

25. trusso

While this thread continues, I need to ask everyone another question. When going through my cds last night, I was wondering what to keep or not. Let's say I had Hall and Oates Rock and Soul pt 1. Then, I have another of the many collections (in this case a 3 cd set). Then, I also have that box set that goes for about $45 that was released a couple of years ago. Obviously, there is plenty of overlap. Do you keep em all because of the variations or do you keep the most complete one and rip the one or two songs that are not included? it is so confusing to me. This is like those Billy Joel greatest hits vol 1 and 2 that have edited versions, fades, etc. What do you do about those? Do you keep the original versions and also the edited ones or do you delete them from your rips? If you love Heart, do you just get all the hits on a cd or do you rip the songs you want from all of their albums? In other words, do you want the collection as it was released or do you keep the original released cds and just the songs that you want from them so that they are contained within their correct lp?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.