Goodbye Plasma TV. LG & Samsung are done.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by chumlie, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

A tv isn't a necessity. While I love my plasma, nobody is forcing me to buy a 4K tv or whatever the latest is. Are we to believe that plasma is the only good format we'll ever have for viewing?

2. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Bryan likes this.
  3. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

I've a 50" Panasonic from 2011. I'd like to upgrade to a 60"...thinking about waiting to see what black friday or cyber monday deals there are.

tootull likes this.
  4. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

oh man i'm still trying to get over the loss of beta! :p

minerwerks and Dave like this.
  5. Hagstrom

I only recently unloaded a Beta deck!

erniebert likes this.
  6. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

yes its already out from LG

7. Hagstrom

If someone wanted a plasma and doesn't have one at this late date, it really wasn't that important to them. The writing has been on the wall for years. Time to move on.

8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

If my ZT60 broke and I had to buy something today I wouldn't exactly be thrilled about what's available right now. Of course there will always be something better, but if it means an expensive niche videophile product I wouldn't be happy about that either. The current trend is dictated by cost to manufacture not purely about picture quality.

jh901 likes this.
  9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The new LG OLED looks purty.

10. PNeski@aol.com

11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

12. PNeski@aol.com

no not ten times better ,but those bigger 4k sets are clearly better with 4k sources
    Oled picture is better than Plasma at any size ,but nothing other than the Theatre is ten times better

13. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Great choice! Consumer Reports has those Sammy plasmas top rated.

14. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Oled will be plasma's successor(for people who want the best picture quality),of course prices will come down,in time.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  15. PNeski@aol.com

Best Buy still has Samsung Plasmas

jriems and lbangs like this.
  16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Grabbed a Panasonic plasma a few months ago, while I still could, absolutely love the picture, beats any LED/LCD I've seen hands down, watching "Life Story With David Attenborough" in HD last week and the picture, shot at 4K, was absolutely stunning, this set will keep me happy for years to come.

jriems likes this.
  17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Which OLED or any non plasma panel is better than a flagship plasma? The VT/ZT60 remains the King AFAIK. The best plasmas will be beaten before long I hope, but don't count on it right now.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Any OLED TV will beat a plasma when it comes to black levels (essentially 'infinite' blacks) and contrast. Here's ones: LG55EC9300, however it does suffer from poor calibration controls and a few other issues.

But, it's still very early days for OLEDs and LG is the only company ATM making panels for commercial use (Samsung having recently pulled out due to poor yields of their panels which use a different implementation to LG).

2015 should be a much bigger year for OLEDs and with more experience should come better control over other aspects of picture quality.

19. aoxomoxoa

We just started carrying an LG model (sorry I don't have the model # off hand) at the retail chain I work for. It looks pretty damned amazing to me and I am a die hard plasma fan. When I saw it, I knew that it would be my next TV when my one of my 2 Panasonics goes.

20. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Scott222C and Dave like this.
  21. jables

jables Forum Resident

I have a 64" Samsung Plasma. The picture quality is superb.

22. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident

I still watch my good ol' 27" CRT. ;)

I bought my Panny plasma 55" almost 2 years ago, still running strong. There will always be newer technology around the corner, but for me personally, I am not that quick to upgrade each time something else comes out. 4K UHD; that's cool, but makes you wonder how much more picture information you can get on the screen. Heck I remember when the first 1080p sets were $20K. And....the newer tech won't do squat for SD material, and I still have a good bunch of material in that format so in those cases, a CRT still rule in that dept.

Plasma may have finally breathed its last, but will still be in many homes for years to come.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hope you're not counting on another Panny - that ship sailed months ago!

I'm not convinced there'll be any Black Friday sales on plasmas. When Panny discontinued plasmas, they dried up quickly, and I kinda think the same will happen with other brands.

Plus, I don't think the various chains are gonna push plasmas as BF items just because they're not viewed as technology that'll draw people into the stores. You might find plasmas as clearance items but I'd be surprised to see them as big-ticket BF sales...

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The 4K craze really kicked off when manufacturers discovered how hard it was to bring OLED to market, so as a 'distraction' they went for the low hanging fruit - 4K on conventional panels.

Oh, and by the way, going to 4K is a major reason why plasmas are now extinct. You can't really make the plasma cells small enough (without huge challenges) to have 4Ks worth on a panel.

In general, the extra resolution doesn't really add anything unless you have a very large screen or are sitting really close to a smaller screen.

aarsonbet and aoxomoxoa like this.
  25. aoxomoxoa

You have never been to a movie theater?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.