Goodbye Plasma TV. LG & Samsung are done.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by chumlie, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

2. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

3. conception

conception Forum Resident

I've always wanted a plasma but couldn't afford to get it over other more important needs. One of the perks of advancing in my field was trying to afford the TV I really wanted amongst other things. Guess that doesn't matter now.

4. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Not one with a 65" screen, no. You?

Scott222C likes this.
  5. JFOK

JFOK Forum Resident

I have 2 Panasonic plasmas and the picture is far better with those two, than any LCD or LED out there.
    Want proof ? Just stand off to the side of either the LCD or LED and watch. The picture degrades drastically.
    You have to be directly in front of these sets to get a halfway decent picture. Not a problem with plasma.
    I bought my first Panasonic plasma (EDTV) in 2002 and it was still going strong when I sold it (for a bigger model) in 2012.

6. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I believe the idea of having a curved screen in a movie theater is to reduce image distortion from the projector. In my observations of curved screens at the theater, I'm usually noticing more distortion because of them, so I'm immediately skeptical. Curved screens for the home may have some advantages if you are someone who prefers to view from a "sweet spot," but otherwise, it just seems like another useless feature to me - and I assume erniebert as well.

7. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I love hearing about things not going well for Samsung, even if TVs are only a drop in the bucket for them.

I better keep my eyes open now for a Panny. I have fond memories of my old Panny Thrusters speakers back in junior high...

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Huh?

9. Jose Jones

They never met a patent they didn't boldly ignore and then use their size and bank account to litigate opposition to death who try to fight them.

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Right, so nothing at all like Apple? Corporate patent games are played by all.

11. Jose Jones

I like the home team. If you like the Korean Kopy Kats, then I can understand why you don't care.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

LOL, the 'home' team that avoids paying taxes at home and exploits Chinese labor in appalling factory conditions? Yay, go home team!

13. Jose Jones

How are they exploited? Are they forced to work there against their will? Is it better to have no job than to have a factory job building iPhones?

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Never mind ( I guess they're committing suicide in Foxconn factories because of the generous working conditions).

Jimi Bat and junk like this.
  15. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The article is from 2011, plasma has come a long way since then. IMO having compared calibrated versions of both, the ZT60 does look better, one reason I didn't mind paying the (reasonable) premium for one.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I read about the ZT60. But effectively we're saying that potentially only a single model plasma (since discontinued) is going to beat a TV from almost 7 years ago. That seems almost ridiculous, but I understand.

I hope 4K projectors in the $3-5K range really start to offer extraordinary performance within the next 2 years. I think that's what I'll eventually upgrade to.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Projectors can't really compete with good plasmas and OLEDs. Projectors shine light onto a screen, which means the black levels are going to be poor, and therefore contrast and therefore color vibrancy. The picture may look okay in isolation (and the eye gets used to the picture), but a side-by-side comparison with a plasma, but especially an OLED, would be chalk and cheese. Not to mention the generation of noise and heat with powerful projector systems.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Doubtful any modern projector is putting out more heat than my 60" Elite plasma :D

At some point, even most serious videophiles agree, you need that ~100"+ screen from ~12ft away to get that real theater feeling. Watching 2.35:1 Blu-rays on even a 70" set is nice, but the image is still only 2ft tall. Not exactly what I call a cinematic experience.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, some of them are rather power hungry, though the last generation plasmas, especially the Samsungs, were pretty power efficient (by plasma standards).

IMO, that's the only real advantage of a projector system - scale. But, you can already get LCD/LED screens that are bigger than 100" inches today. You can get a (slightly smaller) Sharp 90-inch Aquos for around the $5k range, though it's not 4k res. I'm sure there are other options in the large format space too, but likely to be more pricey.

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's business whether right or wrong...It's been going for many years...they all steal from each other one way or another.

21. Once again, I don't understand the love for OLED. It reminds me of a bunch of guys that read specs on cars and they assume a lot until they drive them. OLED has many issues and tradeoffs. It is still a long way off.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's a superior technology - the next level beyond the best plasmas. And it's not a long way off. It's here, now (albeit, it's early days and there are still some drive kinks that need tweaking). These 'issues' will be ironed out sooner rather than later IMO.

Prices have already been dropping, from initial $15k levels to around $3k for the same size. Keep an eye out for announcements at CES 2015, Las Vegas.

23. I am very familiar with OLED and it hasn't demonstrated real world, long lasting use with the performance at the same time for the lifespan. The TVs will not last the life of LCDs or Plasmas unless there is a breakthrough at this point, nor will the color stay consistent over its lifetime.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No TV's color stays consistent over its lifetime, especially plasmas. Longevity may not be an issue as these days people turn over their TVs almost as frequently as their iphones. LG's OLEDs, which use a white pixel, have improved panel lifetime dramatically over the first prototype sets a few years back.

But yes, I do agree that some further refinements are necessary. However, I don't agree that it will take such a long time. A TV doesn't have to be perfect in every way before it sells, as has been proved in the past, over and over again.

25. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

NPR Report on the end of plasma TVs: http://www.npr.org/2014/11/17/36476...-of-the-living-room-plasma-screens-take-a-bow

Harry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.