"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" SACD will be mixed from a digital source!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Forget the format wars, I read the ICE article and I AM PSYCHED!!!!

Of course, I will buy the SACD because it hits first, and then yes, I will buy the DVD-A for the rest of the goodies.

I can;t wait for to hear this one in surround.

Then, the article stated that they will begin releasing all of the EJ albums in surround, starting with his first and moving forward! YAAHOO!!

2. emilsjr

emilsjr New Member

Sorry but that is not accurate. Your 2 examples discs are NON-HYBRID discs. If they released it on 2 seperate discs, it takes the point of a HYBRID away. That would seem to be a DVD-A solution. The 5.1 mix has nothing to do with this being released on 2 SACD discs.

3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

How did this thread turn into a SACD/DVD-A debate:confused:

Chris

4. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

They all do, eventually.

Ryan

5. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I'm just looking forward to what I hope will be a decent transfer of this album. I never scored the MFSL disc, and the current CD version is an abomination, IMO. I don't play the album as much as I would like because that CD sounds so harsh. I hope the album is treated with respect for the SACD.

6. ivor

ivor Senior Member

Blonde on Blonde was two discs for "aesthetics." Peter Gabriel's Up SACD has both stereo and surround mixes on one disc even though its a few minutes longer than BoB.

7. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Up is a great SACD - CD layer, SACD stereo, SACD Mch.

I have the MoFi of "Goodbye", and want to hear it in HiRez, but I'll be annoyed it's split.

8. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

This isn't surprising, as when the surround remix on Queen's A Night At The Opera was done, the original multitracks had to be baked in an oven, otherwise the tapes would have fallen apart as they passed over the reels.

They were then transferred to a hard disk format and were remixed from there. Beats destroying the tapes forever and running the risk of not being able to remix at all.

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.