question about UK vinyl pressing of elton john GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigmikerocks, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

so i scored what i thought was a first pressing of this today for really cheap, in great shape.

so i was looking at this discogs entry for it
    http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=778099

my catalog number matches it exactly, and my label looks the same as this, except the DJM logo and rim print are in yellow.

anybody know what's up with this?

thanks!

2. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Mine has the yellow on the label.

Guess it's jut a black and white scan.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have seen both (all silver and yellow/silver). My copy has the yellow but I think both are first pressings.

4. The picture from discogs is of a pressing dating between '74 and '76; the original pressing has different typeface on the label:

Attached Files:

5. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Hey! What's Bernie' name doing on the credit for 'Funeral For A Friend'? :eek: Last time I checked, that song was instrumental, it was.

6. bigmikerocks

mine has the type face like the discogs picture, but has yellow print like phil elliot's.

so would mine be a first pressing? the cat number is DJLPD 1001

Attached Files:

7. bigmikerocks

oh sweet, the original receipt for this LP just fell out of the jacket!!

Attached Files:

8. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Is bigmikerocks going to post for every record he buys and ask if it's a first pressing?

We really should start charging him for this service.

9. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Notice that both the Discogs entry and the picture bigmikerocks posted have "SIDE ONE" on the label. The label posted by Phil Elliott has "SIDE 1". I'm pretty sure that the very first UK issue has the "SIDE 1" style, as I had a bunch of those at one time. The first issue would also be on translucent red vinyl.

My keeper copy has A4 B5 C3 D3 matrices. I do recall seeing various other cutting number combinations as well. They all sounded rather similar, and I chose the copy that was in the best condition. Presumably the first pressing would have the lowest matrix numbers, possibly A1 B1 C1 D1. Can anyone confirm what the lowest matrix numbers are for the UK GBYBR?

10. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Awwww an old whiffys receipt...bless....now I'm gonna cry :( My UK copy has a different logo without the surrounding 'record groove' graphic - just the DJM bit in a circle. Type is yellow for the title. It would be later as most of the matrices are higher and some are the same as the previous post.

11. I'll give this another go :). The answer is no, because, if your copy has the type face like the discogs picture, then you are describing a copy that came from 74-76.

I can tell you that the newer typeface came out around the time that Elton's Greatest Hits was released; I have a copy that has the newer tyepface on side 1 and the older typeface on side 2.

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

My copy has the 'SIDE 1' style and matrix A2/B2/C2/D2 - on red translucent vinyl. I think this is probably the earliest pressing.

13. bigmikerocks

who is this 'we' you speak of?

14. bigmikerocks

this copy has the exact matrix numbers

guess i'll settle for a 2nd pressing for $1 in minty shape!!! :)

15. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I'm glad to come upon this thread, because I picked up a DJM "first" pressing yesterday and it has almost ALL of the different label attributes combined.

First off, both discs are translucent red (purple) and the matrices are A-2/B-4/C-3/D-3. It sounds awesome.

Disc one has the black and silver print only and the album sides are spelled out like "SIDE ONE" and it reads DICK JAMES MUSIC LIMITED (1-3)
    Disc two has the yellow, black and silver print (as in the sixth post), except that the sides are numerical like "SIDE 3" and it reads DICK JAMES MUSIC LIMITED (1-4)

The hand-etching in the deadwax appears to be the same handwriting on all four sides for sure.

So, is it possible/likely that different labels were used at different pressing plants? And/or these two discs were originally from two different copies and got mixed up? Again, they are both the same color translucent vinyl, same handwriting in the deadwax, low number matrices . . . seems strange. Thoughts?

16. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

bump for thoughts, etc . . .

17. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

• Hi guys and girls I got a first pressing of yellow brick road on eBay but now I’m thinking it’s not a first pressing can anybody shed light on what a first pressing is and what it looks like a European version not American thanks guys

18. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

What is the company and what is in the runout matrix?

19. Christopher Lauher

DJM transulant 1973 DJLP 1001 A3/B4/C3/D4 i wish I could take a picture

20. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

The one that I have is also red translucent DJM 1001, matrix numbers etched A3/B3/C3/D2.

The funny thing that on the first record DJM logo and writing at the bottom of the rim is silver, on the second is yellow like usual.

21. Christopher Lauher

I don't think it s a first pressing, it looks like it might be a second pressing, i paid a lot for it, so i am kind of bummed but i heard all of the DJM pressings are way better then the American pressings. So Im still excited hopefully it sounds great. thanks guys for your help

Slick Willie likes this.
  22. tjannace

tjannace Well-Known Member

I have a DJLPD 1001 A2, B2, C2, D2 on black vinyl, is this not original because its not A1? im assuming A1 is more sought after

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.