Goodfellas Remastered In 4k Coming May 5th !!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Myke, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

Martin Scorseses All-Time Classic of Life Inside the Mob

GoodFellas

Remastered for 25th Anniversary On Blu-rayTM and Digital HD on May 5 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment

Includes New Documentary and 36-Page Photo Book

Burbank, Calif., January 22, 2015 On May 5, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) will release GoodFellas on 2-Disc Blu-ray featuring a new documentary with interviews from Robert De Niro, Leonardo DiCaprio, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta and more, and a 36-page photo book exploring the films far-reaching influence. The book also includes a letter written by Martin Scorsese.

The 25th Anniversary Blu-ray release of GoodFellas, cited by film critic Roger Ebert as the best mob movie ever, has been remastered from a 4k scan of the original camera negative, supervised by Martin Scorsese. The Blu-ray release also includes Digital HD with UltraViolet and will be available for $34.99 SRP. Fans can also own GoodFellas on Digital HD via purchase from digital retailers.

GoodFellas explores the criminal life like no other movie. Following the rise and fall of a trio of gangsters over 30 years, its an electrifying, fact-inspired tale of living and dying. Based on the true-life best seller Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi, the film earned six Academy Award® nominations, including Best Picture and Best Director and was named 1990s Best Film by the New York, Los Angeles and National Society of Film Critics. In 2000, GoodFellas was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry by the US Library of Congress.

Scorsese was awarded the Silver Lion Award for Best Director in Venice. Robert De Niro received wide recognition for his performance as veteran criminal Jimmy The Gent Conway, and Joe Pesci, as the volatile Tommy DeVito, walked off with the Best Supporting Actor Oscar®. Academy Award® nominees Lorraine Bracco, Ray Liotta and Paul Sorvino also turned in electrifying performances.

SPECIAL FEATURES will include all previously released special features along with:
    · ALL-NEW Documentary includes interview with the Director, cast and some of your all-time favorite movie gangsters! Join some of Martin Scorseses greatest gangsters Robert De Niro, Leonardo DiCaprio, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta, Jack Nicholson and Joe Pesci to discover what its like to work for perhaps the greatest gangster director of them all.

2. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Imagine if they still use the paltry Dolby Digital audio track like the other four Blu-ray releases do? Hahahaha.

Just kidding, no way in hell they remaster this in 4K and don't finally give us a lossless audio track. Day one buy for me!

Myke and mikeyt like this.
  3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Favorite gangster movie.

I'm in..

heatherly and Myke like this.
  4. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Sounds like we'll finally get a decent HD version of Goodfellas. About time!

Myke likes this.
  5. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Favorite movie period. I'm in too!

Myke likes this.
  6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'm done pumping cash into this film. I have the recent digi-book blu-ray and I'll just have to suffer with it's now redundant image quality. I guess there's always therapy as well.....:whistle:

Remington Steele likes this.
  7. Myke

Another addition to the BuyBacks pile. The $11.49 I spent 5 years ago sweetens this news even more. :winkgrin:

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Is there anything wrong (picture wise) with the current blu-ray? I don't remember being disappointed in the picture quality. A lossless audio track would be an improvement if the current one is only DD, but I don't see me buying a "remastered in 4k" blu-ray. When I have a 4k TV with a 4K player and there is a 4K disc, then I might buy this movie again.

blind_melon1 and jsayers like this.
  9. Myke

The 4k remasters we've gotten so far have had an obvious visual difference. 4k equipment is expected in less than a year, isn't it ? I see no reason to be negative when this will be just one more version to choose from.

10. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

You're a funny guy!

[​IMG]

CusBlues and Mal like this.
  11. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Seen it too many time already - for me would require, -

flubs, deleted scenes, outtakes, behind-the-scenes, on-set tomfoolery too!

12. Myke

No such thing in my family. :laugh:

therockman likes this.
  13. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I can only watch it after midnight when everyone else is asleep.

erniebert likes this.
  14. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I'm in for this. Definetly.

Myke likes this.
  15. Myke

16. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I am so in on this. I've purposely waited on purchasing this movie on BD. I love it when a plan comes together..... ;)

Myke likes this.
  17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

So what happens when a person watches this on a standard Sony BR player with a 40" Vizio TV? Does it look better than one that is not 4K?

18. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Count me in for a double dip. The blu I've had is okay, but it could be so much more. Taxi Driver looks great on blu, hopefully this remaster does the same.

19. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Like an average schnook.

20. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I will wait till I read reviews before I double dip, but sounds promising so far, same with Sound of Music.

21. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Wiseguys don't pay for anything. If they wanted something, they just took it.

I'm marching into Best Buy and just taking this... er or not... I'm in!

Kossoff is God likes this.
  22. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

dictionary.search.yahoo.com :
    A stupid or easily victimized person; a dupe.

If I don't want to upgrade again, I don't think the term "schnook" applies to me going by this definition.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

heatherly and Myke like this.
  24. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Don't get hung up on the 4K, it's the fact it's being "remastered from the original negative" that is a good thing. This will be superior picture quality. It is not 4K picture, that just means the work is already done when the 4K format is finalized and movies start being released presumably at the end of this year. Original negative, supervised by Scorsese. It's terrific news.

If it were the same master used for the previous releases then I could see noses upturned although I'd still buy it if it offered lossless audio finally, but getting a brand new master minted as well as no doubt a lossless audio track? Brill.

25. Myke

I'm guessing Brill is how the kids say brilliant now. Too taxing to say an entire word. :laugh:

dobyblue and mikeyt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.